advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

Miami trophy looks like a trophy base that's missing the cup or sculpture on top.

A bit disappointed that the Orange Anus visited the McLaren pits, but I guess they didn't invite him themselves. As least trump's face matched the car colours.

Just saw that Lando said he respected trump, might have to change driver allegiances...

Last edited:
Fantastic result for Lando. So happy seeing the huge congratulations and praise from so many drivers in the sport. I know it is his first victory and a long time coming but thank goodness we finally have a car truly outpacing the Red Bull (well a VER driven Red Bull).

NOR had great pace all weekend and was very unfortunate in the sprint race yesterday but all forgotten now. We often see the first win unlocking confidence and many more wins. Not too late to make a fight of 2024!

Fantastic result for Lando. So happy seeing the huge congratulations and praise from so many drivers in the sport. I know it is his first victory and a long time coming but thank goodness we finally have a car truly outpacing the Red Bull (well a VER driven Red Bull).

NOR had great pace all weekend and was very unfortunate in the sprint race yesterday but all forgotten now. We often see the first win unlocking confidence and many more wins. Not too late to make a fight of 2024!
Don’t be ridiculous. Verstappen is going to win every race this year and go on to break all records set by Hamilton and Schumacher. People here said so… ;)

So pleased for Lando -- that variety in top level sport where someone is just so nice everyone can't help but like him.

His Chicken Shop Date was oddly wholesome and is a good cleanse after seeing him being forced to stand next to the grinning orange shit gibbon.

Can someone explain why, under safety car conditions Norris was allowed to drive off ahead to get enough of a time gap to pit and still remain at the front of the race? When the safety car status came up, he was only 10-11 seconds ahead of VER. Under the safety car he increased that gap to over 30 seconds and then pitted and came out, still ahead of the field (and the safety car). The safety car then had to let the field go to catch up and then pick up Norris meaning he was at the front at the restart. How is that compliant with safety car rules that say gaps must be maintained and speed reduced?

Sorry but somethings not right with what happened. I presume that he did nothing wrong under the letter of the rules, otherwise his win would have been taken away from him, but it's clearly not in the spirit of competition. Norris should have been picked up by the safety car and only then should have been able to do his pit stop, resulting him being back in 5-7th place for the restart.

Last edited:
Sorry but somethings not right with what happened. I presume that he did nothing wrong under the letter of the rules, otherwise his win would have been taken away from him, but it's clearly not in the spirit of competition. Norris should have been picked up by the safety car and only then should have been able to do his top, resulting him being back in 5-7th place for the restart.

Imagine a situation where a WC is at stake and a guy who has spent the entire race building an unassailable lead is held by a SC while his rival is allowed to …..no wait that could never happen.

I was wondering when the previous McLaren win was - it seemed long ago. I was surprised to find that it was 2021 (Ricciardo in Italy) - but the win before that was in 2012 (Jenson Button in Brazil).

Imagine a situation where a WC is at stake and a guy who has spent the entire race building an unassailable lead is held by a SC while his rival is allowed to …..no wait that could never happen.
Yawn....

Not dodgy but it was a bit odd that the safety car picked up Max the no2 car in the race. If the safetycar had not done that I do not know how the order would have been at the restart, I think Lando could have been second or third then, but he was clearly the fastest after the restart.

Can someone explain why, under safety car conditions Norris was allowed to drive off ahead to get enough of a time gap to pit and still remain at the front of the race? When the safety car status came up, he was only 10-11 seconds ahead of VER. Under the safety car he increased that gap to over 30 seconds and then pitted and came out, still ahead of the field (and the safety car). The safety car then had to let the field go to catch up and then pick up Norris meaning he was at the front at the restart. How is that compliant with safety car rules that say gaps must be maintained and speed reduced?

Sorry but somethings not right with what happened. I presume that he did nothing wrong under the letter of the rules, otherwise his win would have been taken away from him, but it's clearly not in the spirit of competition. Norris should have been picked up by the safety car and only then should have been able to do his pit stop, resulting him being back in 5-7th place for the restart.

Nothing dodgy but FIA rules and guidelines being followed. Also no change since forever, this has been the way for as long as I have known F1. You must be familiar with drivers dashing for the pits whenever there is a virtual or real safety car as there are often advantages to be had with a much faster (relatively) pit stop. I am sure you could make an argument to stop this happening and for a while they did close the pit entry when a safety car was deployed but got rid of it after cars with punctures or repairs to be made were getting stopped from making a stop when they needed one as opposed to a tactical advantage.

The speed difference is essentially they must drive to a delta speed which is a speed determined by the FIA to circulate at until you are picked up by the safety car; thereafter you must follow the safety car and not change position. The delta speed is faster than the safety car can drive at but no advantage was gained as even if he had pitted immediately he would have come in and out faster than the delta speed of the rest of the field.. NOR had only just passed the pit entry when the safety car period was announced so he had a whole lap to drive at the delta speed, he then pitted staying in the lead. The only error seemed to be the safety car picking up VER not NOR but once realised they let the field pass the safety car (at delta speed) and catch up NOR. Then the normal safety car period could end as usual.

Depends on where the cars are on the track at the time the Safety Car was both deployed and then where it picked up the first cars. Nothing odd about it at all, happens all the time just the luck of the draw.
With a full safety car, there is no requirement for any gap to be maintained as all the cars will be bunched up, only a Virtual Safety Car they have to keep the gap.

Nothing dodgy but FIA rules and guidelines being followed. Also no change since forever, this has been the way for as long as I have known F1. You must be familiar with drivers dashing for the pits whenever there is a virtual or real safety car as there are often advantages to be had with a much faster (relatively) pit stop. I am sure you could make an argument to stop this happening and for a while they did close the pit entry when a safety car was deployed but got rid of it after cars with punctures or repairs to be made were getting stopped from making a stop when they needed one as opposed to a tactical advantage.

The speed difference is essentially they must drive to a delta speed which is a speed determined by the FIA to circulate at until you are picked up by the safety car; thereafter you must follow the safety car and not change position. The delta speed is faster than the safety car can drive at but no advantage was gained as even if he had pitted immediately he would have come in and out faster than the delta speed of the rest of the field.. NOR had only just passed the pit entry when the safety car period was announced so he had a whole lap to drive at the delta speed, he then pitted staying in the lead. The only error seemed to be the safety car picking up VER not NOR but once realised they let the field pass the safety car (at delta speed) and catch up NOR. Then the normal safety car period could end as usual.
You have got it pretty much spot on and explained what I was about to explain.

The officials did get it wrong, probably due to the timing system, but quickly recovered it in the best way open to them by allowing all the cars to pass and then the safety car picked up NOR and we ended up with the order that we should have had. As soon as the safety car happened each car has a dash display of a delta for each sector which they need to achieve. As they are travelling much slower, but nowhere near as slow as directly behind the safety car, NOR would have had enough time to pit and get out just in front of VER (I have checked the race trace to confirm this).

The only difference between the correct and actual scenarios is that if it had all worked as it should have, then McLaren would have had some pressure on them in the pitstop. Whereas with what actually happened, there was no pressure other than the stop not taking 30 seconds or so.

Aside from all that what I found interesting was that RBR had greater tyre degradation than McLaren. So whilst VER hitting the cone and damaging his car a bit, it looked likely that had VER not done that, NOR would have most likely won anyway. It was a low grip circuit, which is why RBR were struggling (VER complaining about his tyres for most of the weekend and PER competing with HAM is further indication). And was not down to McLaren adding performance upgrades to their car.

“At one point we thought we were going to be ahead for a whole lap,” said Norris’ race engineer Will Joseph when he spoke to Sky over the race. It was odd :)

advertisement

Back