advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

There was nothing dodgy about the safety car incident - Norris was in the lead having not changed his tyres when almost everyone else had, and he had 11 seconds lead - pitting during the safety car meant he was able to reduce the time lost to only 8 seconds and so he was still in lead after changing. They then bunched up behind the safety car - eventually getting it right with Norris not Verstappen behind the safety car - and Norris had to lead the restart with Verstappen and the pack right on his tail..... and it showed how much Verstappen was struggling with grip that Norris was able to increase the gap up to 5+ seconds fairly quickly.
What is surprising to me is that Leclerc was still unable to catch Verstappen despite the RB grip problems. Ferrari should have done better I think.

Thanks for the explanations from all. The bit I suppose I was surprised by, was the fact that under the safety car condtions NOR was able to pull ahead to increase the gap to over 30s over VER*. If he was still driving within the allowed speed then fair enough. It just still feels like a gained advantage under safety car conditions**. As in everyone else got caught by the SC and thus were forced to drive slower than NOR and NOR was allowed by the rules to drive faster. Just doesn't sit well with my concept of "fair" racing. I'd argue that rather than how it works now all cars (whether having been picked up by the SC or not) should be forced to drive at a fixed speed. That would have meant that NOR would have entered the pits still 11 seconds ahead of the field which surely would have put him down the field.

Don't get me wrong, this is not an anti NOR sentiment on my part. I just don't understand how what happened can be considered fair.

*This happened pretty quickly from the point the SC notification was displayed on the TV screen.

** to me this is a totally different kind of "gaining advantage under SC" to the usual advantage of a pit stop not dropping a driver back as far as it would under full race pace conditions. Which I have no issue with btw.

Thanks for the explanations from all. The bit I suppose I was surprised by, was the fact that under the safety car condtions NOR was able to pull ahead to increase the gap to over 30s over VER*. If he was still driving within the allowed speed then fair enough. It just still feels like a gained advantage under safety car conditions**. As in everyone else got caught by the SC and thus were forced to drive slower than NOR and NOR was allowed by the rules to drive faster. Just doesn't sit well with my concept of "fair" racing. I'd argue that rather than how it works now all cars (whether having been picked up by the SC or not) should be forced to drive at a fixed speed. That would have meant that NOR would have entered the pits still 11 seconds ahead of the field which surely would have put him down the field.

Don't get me wrong, this is not an anti NOR sentiment on my part. I just don't understand how what happened can be considered fair.

*This happened pretty quickly from the point the SC notification was displayed on the TV screen.

** to me this is a totally different kind of "gaining advantage under SC" to the usual advantage of a pit stop not dropping a driver back as far as it would under full race pace conditions. Which I have no issue with btw.
I have explained this once, as have others, but will try again as it cannot have been that clear.

The rules are as follows:

1. Safety car is triggered.
2. All cars now drive to a sector time that is delivered to them on their dash (this is much slower than racing speed but faster than the safety car to allow cars elsewhere on track to catch the safety car) or to the speed that the safety car is driving at. Whichever is clearly relevant to them.
3. Safety car goes out onto the track with the aim of the leader ending up behind it as soon as possible.
4. All cars bunch up behind the safety car.
5. Once the hazard has been cleared the safety car goes in.

What happened in this specific case is that the safety car came out in front of VER instead of NOR. This was a mistake, most likely coming from the timing system and human decision making. This allowed NOR to drive faster than the safety car (at the dashboard defined sector times for cars not with the safety car) as in theory he had to catch it up. This is why it has been commented that some people thought that NOR could gain a lap on everyone when he caught up. Clearly this was not acceptable and the FIA were already sorting out fixing this by getting all the grid bar NOR to go past the safety car and then when NOR caught up with the safety car the rest gradually bunched up behind him (it took nearly 2 laps for this to happen).

NOR was able to get into pits and change his tyres, which as I explained had the advantage that it was a very low pressure pitstop.

Had it all happened as it was supposed to, NOR was 11 secs ahead of VER and the safety car would not have come out until NOR passed the safety car track entrance point. This required the grid to complete most of a race lap, all going at the dash defined sector times to effectively neutralize the race. NOR would have pitted from the lead, but under a bit of pressure, and most likely got out in the lead as have meant that NOR would have pitted from the lead and most likely come out in the lead. This is because every car was travelling much slower (FIA defined sector times for all cars) so instead of a pitstop costing a driver around 22 seconds, it would only have cost around 9 seconds in delta time on the track. Leaving NOR enough time to comfortably (assuming a typical McLaren pitstop with no errors) get in for the pitstop and then rejoin in the lead.

You are right that if NOR had had to pit from behind the safety car with all the cars behind him, then he would have rejoined in the pack. But this was not the case.

So as I stated before, the only advantage NOR gained was an easy pitstop.

And we ended up with NOR in first and VER second etc behind the safety car, just like we would have done had the safety car gone out when it should have done.

Thanks for the detailed clarification. The bit I had struggled with was the allowance of NOR to continue driving sector times when the other drivers were at the far slower SC pace now makes sense, because otherwise how would he have been able to catch up with the SC. That's the bit that seemed unfair to me, but now I understand the rationale behind it, thanks. :)

I wonder how interested he would be if it wasn't a 'murican company and a car maker at that?
Is that a rhetorical question? :)

As you suggest, I expect they'd have no interest at all if Andretti were heading an Italian or whatever other nation other than US team/company.

It will be interesting to see how the Politics play out and indeed is this a deliberate ploy? After all, Liberty Media is an American company, and the USA is a market in which they want to make inroads.

Reactions: gez
To someone who works in a vaguely-related field (intellectual property), this use of anti-competition law seems bizarre. Anti-competition law is all about allowing fair competition in business. And that's the essence, in business. Nobody is actually stopping Andretti motorsport in engaging in the business of racing cars or disadvantaging it in its business, only denying it admittance to a particular variety of racing. There are certainly weak teams in F1, essentially there to make up the numbers, so that spectators can see a variety of cars and racing, and not being restricted to watching the few leading teams - remember how unhappy were the spectators at the infamous F1 race in Indianapolis in 2005, when only six Bridgestone runners could race because of problems with the Michelin tyres.

It seems to me that the organising body has the right to decide who can and can't race - after all, could F1 and the various facilities handle an increased grid? The biggest grid I can find is the 1961 Italian GP, with 32 starters, but that was with smaller, simpler cars and no scheduled pit stops.

tones this will be about Americans not getting what Americans want. Think if Concorde had been Boeing a way of making it operate [ assuming it would have been safe as it would have been built before the merger with Douglas] would have been found. The Yanks wouldn't have been bothered if a Polish team had been given a 'No'. America ownes the business and they want it all.

Interesting to see such ardent anti-Americanism in a thread about a sport with virtually no American presence. I suppose there's only so much weight Logan Sargent and Zak Brown can carry. It's like the stuffed-crust pizza of yank bashing. Entertaining stuff. Anyway, as you were.

Interesting to see such ardent anti-Americanism in a thread about a sport with virtually no American presence. I suppose there's only so much weight Logan Sargent and Zak Brown can carry. It's like the stuffed-crust pizza of yank bashing. Entertaining stuff. Anyway, as you were.

This is not about anti-Americanism, it is more about the tail wagging the dog!

However given that America refuses to ratify / participate / be subject to the Rome Statute of the Criminal Court, what gives America the right to impose themselves in this matter?

This is not about anti-Americanism, it is more about the tail wagging the dog!

However given that America refuses to ratify / participate / be subject to the Rome Statute of the Criminal Court, what gives America the right to impose themselves in this matter?
If by "impose" you mean "apply for permission to participate", I don't know. I admit I wasn't even aware "America" was trying to field an F1 team.

As for the Rome Statute, great question. I'll have a look at the specific F1 bylaws that require the home countries of all member teams to be signatories, then I'll get back to you. Some Machiavellian machinations are clearly afoot.

If by "impose" you mean "apply for permission to participate", I don't know. I admit I wasn't even aware "America" was trying to field an F1 team.

To be clear I mean why does the Chairman of the United States House Judiciary Committee and indeed 12 Senators deem it appropriate to get involved in this matter and give Formula 1 and indeed the FIA deadlines for a response.

To be clear I mean why does the Chairman of the United States House Judiciary Committee and indeed 12 Senators deem it appropriate to get involved in this matter and give Formula 1 and indeed the FIA deadlines for a response.
Many ways to answer that, chief among them that the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee is a feckless idiot who hasn't passed a single bill in his 17 years as a representative. People like him need to find ways to feel important, and he's famous for wielding the committee's limited power like an ill-fitting toupee. I don't know who the other 12 representatives (not senators) are, but it's likely they are similarly self-important cronies and also best ignored.

Why they "deem it appropriate" is anyone's guess. I'd not want to get inside their heads looking for an answer, at least not without a level-4 containment suit.

Good interview. I wish there'd been more time as RD was cut-off on a few occasions. I hope he writes an autobiography it would be a fascinating story, not least the 2007 season.

Ron Denis Interview on the BBC.
Thanks for posting this.

Ron was certainly an unusual person to work for. He met so many people that he did not remember who many of his employees were. On multiple occasions he introduced himself to me and vice versa despite me having worked there for 8 years in the end. It could of course be that I was a young engineer and so he would not know who I was in a team of 300 people.

He was the best team boss that I have worked for by some margin.

I think that he was very careful with what he said around Stepneygate with Mike Coughlan. The inquiry (which resulted in the massive fine) was shown emails which showed that some people within McLaren were aware of some aspects of the Stepney dossier. And Paddy Lowe and Johnathon Neale were aware of the existence of dossier long before it came out and they had kept quiet. I was told that Ron went to see Max Mosely as soon as he found out about it, but the others should have done that much sooner

The bigger point for me is that no matter what was in the dossier regarding a competitor's car it is very difficult to use that that to make your car faster. As there is so much behind the data that helped get the engineers to the end design, which was done 6 to 9 months before with anything from the dossier now being out of date, or at least too late for anyone to act on, even if they fully understood everything about it.

For 2024 the BTCC is being broadcast on ITVX.

That’s put it firmly in the “I really can’t be arsed” category.

Before, on ITV4, I’d set the recorder to record the whole thing, nearly nine hours of coverage I think, and I’d flick through it all as I felt. Usually I’d watch the first lap or two of support races, but all the build up, often the ads, every race lap, and the post-mortems of the BTCC races.

But… safety car after safety car, and race one at each three-race meeting being almost meaningless, has led to a further decline in my interest.

Now? I might take a look, but flicking through a recording on my Sky Q box is usually a league ahead in the convenience stakes that using a broadcaster’s own ‘fast forward’ feature.

Snetterton, my local circuit, has the circus next weekend. Only an hour away.
Naaaa. Monotonous circuit now. Probably better on telly. And, a race day ticket plus grandstand seat… bye bye nearly £80. Per person.

Still not a patch on the nearly £900 for ticket and seat for the F1 GP, but I’ll pass.
I can always watch it on the tell… oh no, I can’t be bothered.

advertisement

Back