advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

Post #845 in the 2023 F1 thread:

In the DRS Activation Zone, if the driver is allowed to use DRS (not first 2 laps of race, not a wet race, not within 1 second of car in front etc.), then the driver needs to press the DRS button to engage it. To disengage DRS the driver can press the DRS button again, but it is easier to disengage DRS by coming off the throttle or hitting the brake pedal to enter a corner.

I think the question was whether the driver has to know exactly where the DRS zone begins and ends? What happens if a driver presses the button outside of a DRS zone?

I think the question was whether the driver has to know exactly where the DRS zone begins and ends? What happens if a driver presses the button outside of a DRS zone?
The drivers know where the zones start and end from markers at the track. And as stated in my comment before, there is a DRS activation zone, outside of which DRS cannot be activated (not stated explicitly, just implied), unless of course there is a fault!

Post #845 in the 2023 F1 thread:

In the DRS Activation Zone, if the driver is allowed to use DRS (not first 2 laps of race, not a wet race, not within 1 second of car in front etc.), then the driver needs to press the DRS button to engage it. To disengage DRS the driver can press the DRS button again, but it is easier to disengage DRS by coming off the throttle or hitting the brake pedal to enter a corner.
Thanks Ian, I thought I’d voiced this query before but my memory is shot these days! Does this mean that the driver could fail to disengage DRS as he leaves the zone? I’ve never seen that happen which as the driver will want DRS for as long as possible is surprising!

The drivers know where the zones start and end from markers at the track. And as stated in my comment before, there is a DRS activation zone, outside of which DRS cannot be activated (not stated explicitly, just implied), unless of course there is a fault!
But how do they know when they're really within the 1 second gap for activation?

I missed qualification. What happened to VER why was he starting so far down the grid?
It seems the RB is no flipping good on riding kerbs or handling bumps, so particularly unsuited to Monaco, he put in a decent lap time given he was avoiding kerbs others were able to take. It wasn't a bad effort considering but LEC and PIA in particular did great laps that Max couldn't match, I think you could have run Q3 a good number of times and not seen VER on pole.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian, I thought I’d voiced this query before but my memory is shot these days! Does this mean that the driver could fail to disengage DRS as he leaves the zone? I’ve never seen that happen which as the driver will want DRS for as long as possible is surprising!

Effectively no as the zone finishes at the corner for which the driver needs to brake so he can get round it. As soon as you brake, DRS is deactivated.

But how do they know when they're really within the 1 second gap for activation?

It is down to the teams how they do it but I believe most have a light on the dash/steering wheel saying it is active which is sent to the car when they cross the measurement zone; they then have to trigger DRS manually.

Well, I don't think the size of current F1 cars are to blame for no overtaking. I watched the F3 main race, very little overtaking. While watching, it struck me that F3's actually sound like racing cars, not chain saws :)

Well, I don't think the size of current F1 cars are to blame for no overtaking. I watched the F3 main race, very little overtaking. While watching, it struck me that F3's actually sound like racing cars, not chain saws :)
The F2 race had quite a bit of overtaking, or at least attempted, especially down into the hairpin.

Hopefully this summary will clear up the DRS questions.

As the drivers get to the DRS activation zone they get a light on the steering wheel and an an audio bleep in their earpieces to let them know that they are close to the DRS activation zone. They then get a second light on the dash so that they know that they should switch DRS on (as @cutting42 has explained). They also have a very good idea when this will happen due to markers on the track.

When they touch the brakes for the corner then DRS is automatically disengaged.

IMG-9746.jpg

Either Hass wants to concentrate resources on f1 or they are selling to Andretti/Cadillac. The latter might be problematic with the current Hass / Ferrari arrangement, or perhaps not given that Cadillac won't have an engine till the new regs cut in. Perhaps the FIA's statement that Andretti would be better buying an existing team is timely?

Last edited:
Either Hass wants to concentrate resources on f1 or after they are selling to Andretti/Cadillac. The latter might be problematic with the current Hass / Ferrari arrangement, or perhaps not given that Cadillac won't have an engine till the new regs cut in. Perhaps the FIA's statement that Andretti would be better buying an existing team is timely?
Yes, it will be interesting to see if more dominoes fall.

Indeed. Still, a major development for Gene Haas and his finances. Time will tell what (if anything) it means for the F1 team.

Imagine being 27 years old with circa £15 Million in the bank... oh what to do with my life now?...

Don't know about anybody else, but personally I'd just accept that my F1 career is a job done and I couldn't cut it. Yes painful (especially for a typical F1 drivers ego) but there you go that's life. I might even be upset enough to just say f*k it, screw you all (meaning motorsport in general), and spend the rest of my life on a beach somewhere. I mean having got to F1 level, why would you want to ever compete at lower levels again? Unless you get in to a completely different kind of racing such as Powerboats, Rally or that one they do in the desert.

advertisement

Back