advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

Hi, Hamilton will be 40, eyesight going reflexes slower, and probably will need to get out every 25 laps for a pee, 😁, i can't see him winning another race, and how the share price shot up is confusing,
Has this happened before,
how old was Michael Schumacher, when he won his last race,

Yeah ‘cos Lewis (like all top drivers) is short of cash and just loves being in uncompetitive cars. Parade laps my arse, get a grip man.
No rational person thinks Ferrari's big picture view on this Hamilton deal was solely an attempt to win a championship, that's the long shot part of the deal, I'd be impressed if he goes on to win more than 2 races with the team in a season. Leclerc & Sainz were genuinely chosen to team build, and I respected Ferrari for that and they were on their way, but still much hard work needed to be done all around.

------------
"The reason for the drawn-out contract negotiations -with Merc- is now believed to be down to Hamilton and his team insisting on a get-out clause that would allow him to leave after one year. Mercedes agreed to it, and he -Lewis- activated it before he’d even turned a wheel in the W15."

"That it would take until the early evening for both AMG Mercedes and Ferrari to confirm the news – the Italian team via a very Ferrari single-sentence statement – didn’t matter. Ferrari Chairman, John Elkam, had his man, Ferrari had signed a global superstar and, combined with its continued success at extracting vast sums of money from the customers of its road cars, saw a near-$10bn increase to its market valuation thanks to a combination of both. Hamilton’s rumored $75-100m a year deal -plus stock options?- looks like a bargain."

a

Hi, Hamilton will be 40, eyesight going reflexes slower, and probably will need to get out every 25 laps for a pee, 😁, i can't see him winning another race, and how the share price shot up is confusing,
Has this happened before,
how old was Michael Schumacher, when he won his last race,

No rational person thinks Ferrari's big picture view on this Hamilton deal was solely an attempt to win a championship, that's the long shot part of the deal, I'd be impressed if he goes on to win more than 2 races with the team in a season. Leclerc & Sainz were genuinely chosen to team build, and I respected Ferrari for that and they were on their way, but still much hard work needed to be done all around.

------------
"The reason for the drawn-out contract negotiations -with Merc- is now believed to be down to Hamilton and his team insisting on a get-out clause that would allow him to leave after one year. Mercedes agreed to it, and he -Lewis- activated it before he’d even turned a wheel in the W15."

"That it would take until the early evening for both AMG Mercedes and Ferrari to confirm the news – the Italian team via a very Ferrari single-sentence statement – didn’t matter. Ferrari Chairman, John Elkam, had his man, Ferrari had signed a global superstar and, combined with its continued success at extracting vast sums of money from the customers of its road cars, saw a near-$10bn increase to its market valuation thanks to a combination of both. Hamilton’s rumored $75-100m a year deal -plus stock options?- looks like a bargain."

a
As we saw last year with Alonso, a competitive car makes life a lot more interesting for those with top level ability. If the gulf between the Red Bull and the rest remains, it won’t matter who is driving the others. I would like to have seen Lewis in a Red Bull for the same reason that Max wouldn’t.

Last edited:
Dieter was a racer at heart. He died.

Power vacuum.

RB top level used-car dealers aren’t interested in ‘racing’. Only profits.

Mr Spice is, at heart, a racer.

He no longer fits in.

A friend of mine in the real world and I have not. We disagree on this question. Still talking though :)
OK, well if you want my opinion (and maybe you don't) I feel Masi was pressurised by F1 to 'give the fans a show' and not just at Abu Dhabi... Horner and Wolff had little to do with it, but Horner's words reinforced the show element for Masi and hey presto - the rest is history.

Are we all agreed Masi made a mistake under pressure from Horner and time ?
Does anyone disagree ?

Not really. At the risk of kicking it all off again, I do not think Masi or the FIA or even RB had the intention of cheating or stealing or even picking on HAM and Merc. Horner was pushing to get an advantage for his team and VER and I do not blame him for that, its kind of his job. I don't blame VER for any of that day, he did his job. Ham and Merc did their jobs as well, he drove a very well jundged race and had the pace on the day, it would have been the crowning of his career to get the 8th WDC and I am sure he and Merc could taste it.

The error was the race directors completely and utterly. He did not follow the rules that were very clear, not open to interpretation and the outcome materially affected two teams and two drivers in the most extreme sporting manner. He essentially decided to give the WDC to VER through several mistakes. By selectively only letting the lapped drivers between HAM and VER to unlap themselves but not the drivers behind VER, thereby not allowing the 3rd place to threaten VER and then restarting the race earlier than the rule dictated. The rules say the race should have finished under the safety car conditions given the timing.

Masi was clearly put under massive pressure by everyone to get the race to finish under race conditions and this was what led to his huge misjudgement. Ultimately he has suffered the most from this, his career is effectively done, he has reportedly suffered mental health issues whereas the teams and drivers continue as before pretty much. I expect HAM and the Merc team still seethe privately and I'd love to know the pressure applied to them to withdraw their appeal but they still get paid and have the best job in the world.

It is hard to know how else to have managed it post race. Any change to the final race would have been a shitstorm. The fairest way would be to revert to the penultimate lap positions still under the safety car or even pre Latifi's crash but can you imagine the reaction of Horner and the RB management. Politically I think a lot of people wanted a different WDC so there was limited appetite to instate HAM as WDC even if they did all finally agree that Masi cocked up.

for the TLDR version, see Tiggers post ;-)

Are we all agreed Masi made a mistake under pressure from Horner and time ?
Does anyone disagree ?

Masi made a mistake under pressure from all sides - FIA, TorySpice and Toto and the FIA seized the opportunity in the media explosion, hence why the decision was not overturned, it brought mass attention, new fans, new energy, everything they and Netflix wanted and needed to give a fairly antiquentied sport a new lease of £££ life.

The reasons for the FIA making the decision to go this route are varied and go back much further than the previous season or so, including favouritism, inherent racism, advertising revenues, loads of things and some we probably haven't even speculated about in these threads.

As far as I am concerned, Lewis is an eight time world champion. The F1 one world knows it but they all have to toe the line with the authorities that be, I don't though :) but the asterix will always be there and sport tainted again as it has in the past.

It is hard to know how else to have managed it post race. Any change to the final race would have been a shitstorm. The fairest way would be to revert to the penultimate lap positions still under the safety car or even pre Latifi's crash but can you imagine the reaction of Horner and the RB management. Politically I think a lot of people wanted a different WDC so there was limited appetite to instate HAM as WDC even if they did all finally agree that Masi cocked up.

Excellent post. I think the fact that it worked against a defending champion was pivotal to the post race cop out. You can only begin to imagine the storm there would have been, had a prospective new champion been in the position of having dominated a race, then having the defending champion brought back into contention unfairly - imagine the reaction of Horner/RB/Sponsors etc. to that.

The appetite to correct the false interpretation of their own rules and reinstate a multi WC was ‘politically’ nowhere near as appealing as it would have been to crown a new one. In any event, the result was a regrettable and totally avoidable blight on a top sport.

advertisement

Back