advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Max's continuing appraisal of Vegas and its F1 'fans'…

"Most of them just come to have a party, drink, see a DJ play or a performance act. I can do that all over the world. I can go to Ibiza and get completely shitfaced and have a good time".

An interesting qualifying despite the track not being interesting.

Williams is no surprise after thinking about it. They are the fastest above 220 kph and so generate most downforce as they are just faster on the straights and therefore keep the tyres hotter and so the lack of downforce is not such a problem in the corners (where they lose but not as much as normal and get it back and more above 220 kph).

Alpine are running a very low drag (and downforce) configuration and are just as fast as Williams. GAS got the tyre prep right in Q1 and so was quick enough in sector 1, whereas OCO wasn't and despite being just as quick in sector 2 and 3, it was not enough.

Some evidence that Alpine are down a bit on power, but difficult to separate it from the consequences of the low speed corner exits.

VER as usual very quick through the low speed, and fastest by the end of the long straight, but is slower than other fast cars in the 230kph to 330 kph zone.

LEC strong everywhere except for the 280 kph to 345 kph zone where they are just average out of the fast cars.

Interesting the different liveries on some of the cars, presumably for this event only. Being an old (and old-fashioned) codger, I liked seeing the prominent quadrifoglio, the historic racing badge of Alfa Romeo, on the drivers' overalls.

No doubt the Americans will be pleased to see their sole representative so high up the grid (although nearly all of them will be asking "Logan WHO?")

I was listening to Talk Radio the other morning and they were interviewing Ross Brawn about Brawn Racing. I didn’t realise that for the whole of the season they had no spare chassis or body parts and no updating during the course of the season.
His instruction to Jenson and Rubens I think we’ll be ok at the beginning of the season don’t crash as we haven’t any spare parts ! Genius!
He was also talking about Schumacher he’d ask him to do a certain times during the race and he’d always deliver.

Regards,

Martin
That would make 2009 even more impressive.

I’ve tried to look at modern F1 through the eyes of Liberty Media and the new fanbase they are trying to attract and while not personally impressed I do get the fact that the sport needs to modernise and keep evolving to attract younger fans that are more used to instant gratification than I ever was at their age. However, I think today’s events in Las Vegas show that Liberty Media are going too far too fast.

F1 has always been a tough sell in the US, but with the COTA in Texas being built, Liberty Media working out that to attract non fans to the event having headlining concert acts after the racing is a great idea and of course the Lewis Hamilton effect (like it or not the Americans love him) I felt that finally F1 has found a home and audience in the US. Sensibly (in my view) Liberty Media sought to build on this by adding a second US race, but instead of Watkins Glen, Indianapolis or another new circuit chose to go racing in Miami... this was not so sensible. Furthermore, they made the event financially beyond the reach of the mere mortal race fan used to shelling out a handful of bucks to watch Nascar... very not sensible!

Then came Vegas… racing down the strip at night… what a spectacle and what could go wrong? Well, quite a lot actually. Firstly the local residents have been hugely inconvenienced for about 6 months while work has progressed with roads closed all over the city. Instead of F1 embracing them and doing the sensible thing such as putting on local resident events, offering discount prices etc. they have largely been ignored, a metaphorical swatting away of an irritating fly if you will. Instead the package and ticket prices have been aimed at the uber rich who haven’t been that interested and finally huge discounts have been offered although still out of the reach of most mere mortals.

Then the event itself starts and it turns out the circuit was not inspected properly and the draincovers are not secure. A fairly big own goal as, after all, it’s not like F1 does not have a history of drain cover issues – Baku 2019, Monaco 2016 and even as far back as Shanghai in 2005. Thus it transpired that FP1 ended after 9 minutes with Sainz’s Ferrari destroyed! Ground effect cars were always going to be more prone to this issue anyway so why was it not thought about beforehand? It’s jaw-droppingly incompetent. Then a huge amount of time to secure all the manhole covers and an FP2 starting at 2:30am and finishing at 4am with the roads opening much later than anticipated further antagonising the locals.

Due to unionised labour rules preventing staff working past 3am fans were then asked to leave the circuit before FP2 even started… and apparently are not being offered refunds as they got to see FP1! Meanwhile Sainz has a 10 place grid penalty as the stewards can find no loophole not to give him one… wtf????

And this is just day 1.

Liberty Media need to slow down and pause for thought… uber expensive races do not work even in Monaco, the endless tinkering with the race calendar and the race weekends with silly sprint races are antagonising the core fan base and some of the teams/drivers. The inability to define rules properly, or then enforce them correctly combined with a desire for a larger and larger race calendar is moving F1 from a sport to a show and, with weekends like this, a joke!

I fully embrace the need to change the sport and attract new audiences, but I also think that if the sport loses its connection to the past and completely stamps all over tradition then it just won’t be the pinnacle of motorsport it always has strived to be… some balance and common sense is what is needed here… not the ‘more is more’ thinking all the time!
I don't understand why they just didn't use an existing iconic US circuit, such as Laguna Seca or Sebring.

Part of me thinks: Why are we even bothering with the US when it comes to European/Global sports that just aren't popular there? Same deal with Football IMO. They have their sports, that's what they like, they are often different enough from the sports popular in the rest of the world that it's highly unlikely those RoW sports are ever going to be truly succesful there.

Just do a search online for the typical analysis of most US citizens of Football, usually goes along the lines of "too much time with nothing happening" "needs more goals, it's boring" "make the goals bigger, take away the defenders" etc etc. I'm no huge Football geek/fan, but even I would hate to see such changes made.
Formula 1 is in danger of having to make changes to the sport just to try and make it attractive in NA, it's very likely that some/all of those changes are going to be to the detriment of the sport.

Part of me thinks: Why are we even bothering with the US when it comes to European/Global sports that just aren't popular there? Same deal with Football IMO. They have their sports, that's what they like, they are often different enough from the sports popular in the rest of the world that it's highly unlikely those RoW sports are ever going to be truly succesful there.

Just do a search online for the typical analysis of most US citizens of Football, usually goes along the lines of "too much time with nothing happening" "needs more goals, it's boring" "make the goals bigger, take away the defenders" etc etc. I'm no huge Football geek/fan, but even I would hate to see such changes made.
Formula 1 is in danger of having to make changes to the sport just to try and make it attractive in NA, it's very likely that some/all of those changes are going to be to the detriment of the sport.
F1 wants a cut of the US money. Simple as that.

Max Verstappen: The rules have to change

Sitting alongside Sainz in the post-qualifying press conference on Saturday, three-time F1 World Champion Max Verstappen was asked for his opinion on the issue, with the Dutch driver saying the penalty for Sainz was too harsh given him and his team being completely innocent of any sort of wrongdoing.

“The rules have to change for that,” he said.

“It’s the same if you get taken out and you have a big accident.”

Verstappen is likely referring to 2021 with this example when the Red Bull driver suffered catastrophic damage and the loss of a power unit when he collided with Lewis Hamilton on the opening lap of the British Grand Prix

“You can lose parts of the engine, energy store, all these kinds of things. So, first of all, that needs to change. These things can be taken into consideration, that if you can take a free, let’s say, penalty or not and it will not be counted.”

Verstappen’s suggestion is to remove the teams from being able to cast votes or apply pressure to situations like this, in light of the allegations from Sainz that “rival teams” indicated a lack of support for overturning the penalty.

“And besides that, I think the teams should not be allowed to have a say in these kind of things. Because for sure they’re going to vote against that. Personally, I do think it’s very harsh on Carlos, but in this political environment that we are in, of course every team thinks about themselves and they, of course, are going to say no, he has to take the penalty.”

Not F1, but I found it fascinating:

Most surprising, "air-conditioning for the drivers"! Perhaps this has been standard for endurance cars for a while. I remember that, in one US endurance race where high temperatures were expected, Porsche equipped its cars (908s from memory) with a large block of ice and melt from this block was fed through a networks of tubes in the drivers' overalls.

So Perez will finish second in the Championship, ahead of Hamilton, even if he doesn't turn up in Abu Dhabi. I guess he has therefore redeemed himself. But Verstappen has, astonishingly, more than twice as many points. Shows you who's boss...

advertisement

Back