advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

There's another option - F1TV.

Not officially in the UK, F1TV does not show live races here because of the Sky exclusivity contract....wish they did, £2.29 a month sure beats NowTVs official £34.99 a month.

I do use F1TV myself often to watch, but you do have figure out circumenting stuff with VPN's etc. Its not straightforward but can be done.

I’m out of Sky F1 and any real interest in F1 from next month anyway. I’ll probably keep the Sky Q thing going for a while, depending on how much they want to rook me off for.

I avoided watching the Qatar race intentionally, and I really didn’t miss it at all. It’s just too artificial for me.

Note the absence of a safety car:

Nobody died. They were grown ups who knew how to avoid driving into a stationary object.

Loved the commentary

Aston Martin are working on a Le Mans programme (possibly including Stroll Jnr.) - maybe it will make sense to sell the F1 team to one of the aspiring entrants?

Stumbled across this today, which seems appropriate to F1 these days;

"It's not about whether you win or lose. Sometimes it's about how many pages you add to the rule book"

And yet here you still are on the F1 thread. ;)
Worse still, MotoGP has a dominant manufacturer :(. At least WSB is still somewhat competitive.
Nothing to do with a dominant team whatsoever. It has rapidly turned into something that just isn’t for me, and it’s going to carry on down that avenue as far as it can.

Nothing to do with a dominant team whatsoever. It has rapidly turned into something that just isn’t for me, and it’s going to carry on down that avenue as far as it can.

What changes that will be achievable in the modern reality might reignite your interest Tony?

For the moment, we have to accept that the ridiculous over-hyped glitz and glamour in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience, including the nonsensical Drive to Survive or whatever it’s called are not going to vanish completely. Neither will petty internecine politics.

So are there any changes to the rules or the racing that might make it more appealing?

Personally I don’t like the 1.6 turbo hybrids - noise and power delivery are muted, rev range too short and the hybrid gubbins add unnecessary weight, complexity and frequent reliability problems.
It’s not like there aren’t already plenty of full electric or hybrid vehicles available to the public, with regenerative braking and crumple zones, so I don’t really buy the benefits of F1 research trickling down to ordinary motorists any more. Besides, the budget cap nonsense means any research is limited to stripping fractions of a tenth of a second from F1 lap times.

I do like the return of partial ground effect aerodynamics, introduced so that it would no longer be impossible to follow another car very closely. But now it is mostly shown to have worked, why do we still have the travesty of DRS, which completely negates hard won advantages by both team and driver? I’d like that gone yesterday.

I‘d like to see smaller, leaner cars with a bit more power over a wider range, and a focus more on driver skill. Technology at the limit should still be a part of it, but I’d like to see the teams have a bit more free rein. I don’t like the artificial constraints such as being forced to use two different tyre compounds.

Im sure this could be easily achieved, but I suspect that the big money circus already means that attention to what the fans really want is very low in the list of considerations.

What changes that will be achievable in the modern reality might reignite your interest Tony?

For the moment, we have to accept that the ridiculous over-hyped glitz and glamour in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience, including the nonsensical Drive to Survive or whatever it’s called are not going to vanish completely. Neither will petty internecine politics.

So are there any changes to the rules or the racing that might make it more appealing?

Personally I don’t like the 1.6 turbo hybrids - noise and power delivery are muted, rev range too short and the hybrid gubbins add unnecessary weight, complexity and frequent reliability problems.
It’s not like there aren’t already plenty of full electric or hybrid vehicles available to the public, with regenerative braking and crumple zones, so I don’t really buy the benefits of F1 research trickling down to ordinary motorists any more. Besides, the budget cap nonsense means any research is limited to stripping fractions of a tenth of a second from F1 lap times.
As I have explained on here before, the combination of budget cap, wind tunnel time limitation (weaker teams get more time) and the very tight technical regs have resulted in what we have. F1 teams have a lot of money which now goes to the owners and shareholders. They should have included the team owners, senior people's salaries (top 3 are excluded from the cap) and the drivers and said that is your budget cap, spend it how you want. I also think that it is time to start freeing up some of the rules as it is over prescriptive.

Engineers in F1 would like to see smaller, lighter cars with ICE and some from of energy recovery on the front axle (this is where the greatest energy is available). If you want to watch electric racing then try Formula E (too slow and too many gimmicks). Currently the battery energy density is way too low for FE cars to race on F1 tracks (other than Monaco which is an outlier for F1).

I do like the return of partial ground effect aerodynamics, introduced so that it would no longer be impossible to follow another car very closely. But now it is mostly shown to have worked, why do we still have the travesty of DRS, which completely negates hard won advantages by both team and driver? I’d like that gone yesterday.
I have explained why DRS is needed with ground effect a few times before. The current ground effect aero does allow much closer following through a corner. But overtaking is very difficult down a straight as soon as the following car pulls out it has no differential velocity and any slip stream effect is gone. So DRS is used to provide enough differential velocity for an overtake. The FIA technical team did not understand the consequences of the rules that they brought in until one of the teams explained it to them and that is why DRS was brought back (before the cars went racing).
I‘d like to see smaller, leaner cars with a bit more power over a wider range, and a focus more on driver skill. Technology at the limit should still be a part of it, but I’d like to see the teams have a bit more free rein. I don’t like the artificial constraints such as being forced to use two different tyre compounds.

Im sure this could be easily achieved, but I suspect that the big money circus already means that attention to what the fans really want is very low in the list of considerations.
Yes, the big money in F1 for FOM, the FIA, Liberty and the team owners makes change very difficult. And the owners are catering to a very wide fanbase around the world and trying to increase it. And that of course makes it even more difficult.

There are things I’d change, but it isn’t going to happen, not in my lifetime. So, as an occasionally sensible person I’ll do the sensible thing and find other interests.

Motorsport has pretty much lost me now anyway. Safety car fest for almost every single bloody race, for almost any incident. Sod paying that much money and travelling so far to watch a parade of boring sounding cars follow a safety car for 1/3rd of the ‘race’.

It doesn’t matter to me now what the reasons for changes are. The resulting situation is something that just doesn’t appeal to me. After spending my 20s in awe of raw turbo F1 cars with hand grenade qualy engines, and incredible GpB rally cars that made my jaw drop, everything now is a pathetic shadow of what I loved.

Am I alone here in being 98% happy with current Formula 1?

Are you happy with F1 or just who is winning? There is a difference. I enjoyed HAM winning as I am a fan and can appreciate VER fans enjoying that but it does not mean F1 is in good shape.

I am probably about 50% satisfied. The grid is closer than ever,if you ignore VER then we have had a very close season. Tonight's quali in the dry and with no failures had RB in 6th and 8th, OK VER would have sneaked pole by 5 thousandths if he had kept it on the track but he didn't. If thwe cars are this close for the rest of the year and 2024, I will be much happier

There are things I’d change, but it isn’t going to happen, not in my lifetime. So, as an occasionally sensible person I’ll do the sensible thing and find other interests.

Motorsport has pretty much lost me now anyway. Safety car fest for almost every single bloody race, for almost any incident. Sod paying that much money and travelling so far to watch a parade of boring sounding cars follow a safety car for 1/3rd of the ‘race’.

It doesn’t matter to me now what the reasons for changes are. The resulting situation is something that just doesn’t appeal to me. After spending my 20s in awe of raw turbo F1 cars with hand grenade qualy engines, and incredible GpB rally cars that made my jaw drop, everything now is a pathetic shadow of what I loved.

Sad to hear Tony, I have enjoyed your posts and engagements over the years, Does this mean someone else will have to start the 2024 F1 thread?

Sad to hear Tony, I have enjoyed your posts and engagements over the years, Does this mean someone else will have to start the 2024 F1 thread?
I guess so!
I’m sure I’ll still have a passing interest next year, but that is probably all.

I can understand that. I find the increasing obsession with tech off putting and the sheer size of the cars totally uninspiring. Watching them squeeze round some favourite circuits with half a tech assisted overtake possible in one place, two if you’re lucky, has taken it well away from what I became interested in.

Ultimately though it comes down to the sell out to commercial broadcasting. To such an extent, they were prepared to contrive a finish to a championship. That was somewhere I never thought any ‘sport' outside of wrestling would go. But they are catering to a gaming generation where nothing is real and you get results according to taste, so I have no doubt it will continue to be lucrative.

advertisement

Back