advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
x3Jlkys.jpg

Thanks for that. Not being able to view F1TV due to the Sky monopoly has been a bit of a bugbear here.

This is even worse for fans of the NFL as you can buy live coverage of all NFL games but this excludes games on Sky. And since Sky pick the best games each week, you end up having to get Sky or NowTV to actually be able to watch the season despite already paying to watch everything. This is massively annoying.

Although this does mean I get to watch some F1 live as I have NowTV from Sept. to Feb.

Thanks for that. Not being able to view F1TV due to the Sky monopoly has been a bit of a bugbear here. Often wondered how it was panning out elsewhere. Appreciated.

It would be good if we could legally access F1TV here in the UK rather than be stuck with Sky F1. I like Sky F1, but I understand F1TV is only something like £80 a season, which seems reasonable to me.

It would be good if we could legally access F1TV here in the UK rather than be stuck with Sky F1. I like Sky F1, but I understand F1TV is only something like £80 a season, which seems reasonable to me.

I'm surprised you can't. It's a service for viewing on computers and mobile devices, not TV. I thought it was available everywhere, since it's teh internets.

I believe F1TV access depends upon the F1 broadcast agreements and licensing in individual countries. I suspect that a VPN won't circumvent that either unless you have a credit card from another country to use.

I watch F1 on the Now app ( online version of Sky). Last year it was £9.99 to get 24 hours access to the F1 channel. So effectively £9.99 to watch the race. Imagine my surprise when I logged on to watch on Sunday and it is now £11.99! Doesn’t seem to have been communicated. Think I might have to switch to the highlights, grrr.

Absolutely, and no criticism at all. To be honest I actually find the actual racing the least interesting part of F1 and could probably get just as much enjoyment watching random YouTube videos on the technology, e.g. the most interesting thing about last weekend for me is why the Merc isn’t working. I find that quite fascinating even though I’ll never have a deep understanding of it the way Ian and others have. I do like watching the races, hence my doing so, but the highlights and gossip beforehand tends to do all I need.

PS I don’t really support anyone, though I have tended to side with LH over past years as he has managed to bring at least some much needed civil rights attitude into the sport. I respect that a lot. He’s done his thing the way Jackie Stewart did for safety. It needs to go a lot further IMHO, I’d love to see F1 boycott the various dictatorships it currently sucks up to, but that’s likely for a different thread. I certainly find it uncomfortable watching races in countries that murder people for holding a political opinion, having the wrong sexuality, being a woman who thinks, or whatever.

Totally agree, great post. You being interested in the engineering etc. is intriguing as many aren't, but that is the part that fascinates me the most too and is of course the side of it that Ian was heavily involved with. I am a mathematician more than an engineer so I also find the whole race strategy part of the sport massively engaging too. It's a multi-faceted sport and that is why for me it is so far ahead of other sports... it just has more nuance and angles to it than the likes of football, but I guess others find that the same reason that other sports are somehow more 'pure'.

Totally agree, great post. You being interested in the engineering etc. is intriguing as many aren't, but that is the part that fascinates me the most too and is of course the side of it that Ian was heavily involved with. I am a mathematician more than an engineer so I also find the whole race strategy part of the sport massively engaging too. It's a multi-faceted sport and that is why for me it is so far ahead of other sports... it just has more nuance and angles to it than the likes of football, but I guess others find that the same reason that other sports are somehow more 'pure'.
Whilst I am not involved directly with a team (my recovery takes priority) at the moment, I am indirectly involved through talking to people at teams and developing some of my ideas that I did not have the time to develop fully at any team.

Stick an Amazon fire tv on the back.
You then have a fully functioning smart tv

Do you have HDMI? Get a Fire or similar (eg Kodi) stick.

Won't record. Will need another remote device to operate it. Will ONLY WORK WITH ONE TV.

Honestly, I wish I'd never mentioned this now. We are happy with the current setup. We don't want another HDMI device fighting over the limited number of HDMI inputs. We already have three HDMI gadgets with two inputs on the main TV. The remote control caddy on the coffee table is full with the four remotes there already. Adding more is not what we desire. We've been there with Chromecast. We prefer it all in the one Sky box.

This is a Formula 1 thread. As I said, I stripped all this detail out from my OP because it's not appropriate.

Cease. Desist. Please.

Absolutely, and no criticism at all. To be honest I actually find the actual racing the least interesting part of F1 and could probably get just as much enjoyment watching random YouTube videos on the technology, e.g. the most interesting thing about last weekend for me is why the Merc isn’t working. I find that quite fascinating even though I’ll never have a deep understanding of it the way Ian and others have. I do like watching the races, hence my doing so, but the highlights and gossip beforehand tends to do all I need.

PS I don’t really support anyone, though I have tended to side with LH over past years as he has managed to bring at least some much needed civil rights attitude into the sport. I respect that a lot. He’s done his thing the way Jackie Stewart did for safety. It needs to go a lot further IMHO, I’d love to see F1 boycott the various dictatorships it currently sucks up to, but that’s likely for a different thread. I certainly find it uncomfortable watching races in countries that murder people for holding a political opinion, having the wrong sexuality, being a woman who thinks, or whatever.
As an Official Certified Old Fogey who started following when the motors were in front of the driver, and then when what Enzo Ferrari contemptuously called garagistas rewrote the rule book, I also have been fascinated by the technical side of the sport. Back then, it was an enthusiast's sport, followed mainly by people who took an interest in how things were done. Unfortunately, Bernie Ecclestone's turning it into a worldwide entertainment circus brought in loads of people who weren't interested in that side of things and who wanted to see close racing as per the various US series, which are regulated to death in order to ensure this. (It was said that the motto of the USAC was, "If you can't beat it, ban it"). This, of course, is the complete antithesis of F1, so we ended up with refuelling/no refuelling, tyre changes/no tyre changes/tyres designed to wear out, DRS, etc., anything to make the races more, er interesting.

As an aside, I also follow sports car racing, something engedered by the famous 1960's Ford v. Ferrari confrontation, as shown in the recent Matt Damon movie. The final battle of Porsche v. GT40 chassis 1075

https://www.thehenryford.org/explore/blog/gt40-1075-a-two-time-le-mans-champion/

for twice the length of a grand prix was particularly memorable. The new hypercar era looks interesting, with a lot of manufacturers coming in. And they're running on renewable fuel.

As an Official Certified Old Fogey who started following when the motors were in front of the driver, and then when what Enzo Ferrari contemptuously called garagistas rewrote the rule book, I also have been fascinated by the technical side of the sport. Back then, it was an enthusiast's sport, followed mainly by people who took an interest in how things were done. Unfortunately, Bernie Ecclestone's turning it into a worldwide entertainment circus brought in loads of people who weren't interested in that side of things and who wanted to see close racing as per the various US series, which are regulated to death in order to ensure this. (It was said that the motto of the USAC was, "If you can't beat it, ban it"). This, of course, is the complete antithesis of F1, so we ended up with refuelling/no refuelling, tyre changes/no tyre changes/tyres designed to wear out,

for twice the length of a grand prix was particularly memorable. The new hypercar era looks interesting, with a lot of manufacturers coming in. And they're running on renewable fuel.
The new hypercar era looks interesting, with a lot of manufacturers coming in. And they're running on renewable fuel.

I can’t even make sense of the different classes of car, let alone the tech regs!

I just wish I’d gone to Le Mans before the Mulsanne was ruined.

Oh well.

Unfortunately, Bernie Ecclestone's turning it into a worldwide entertainment circus brought in loads of people who weren't interested in that side of things and who wanted to see close racing as per the various US series, which are regulated to death in order to ensure this. (It was said that the motto of the USAC was, "If you can't beat it, ban it"). This, of course, is the complete antithesis of F1, so we ended up with refuelling/no refuelling, tyre changes/no tyre changes/tyres designed to wear out, DRS, etc., anything to make the races more, er interesting.

Yes, this is a real annoyance from my perspective. I understand the logic, but I’d love to see little more than ultra tight safety/crash regulations, plus maybe engine size, and then just allow real creativity from that point. I know the argument is that money would dominate and the less-well financed teams would have no chance, but the early history of F1 did have a shed-load of fascinating lateral thinking that often won races. I’d really like to see what a few seasons of this looked like.

By saying that F1 can still surprise, e.g. Merc turning up in a car with such borked aerodynamics that the suspension needs cranking up to stop it endlessly bouncing off the track! I guess this proves money isn’t the sole factor here and even the best teams can really screw things up.

I can’t even make sense of the different classes of car, let alone the tech regs!

I just wish I’d gone to Le Mans before the Mulsanne was ruined.

Oh well.

Here's a good guide, Tony:

https://www.fiawec.com/en/classes/32

With regard to Mulsanne, while I can understand the sentiment, the terminal velocities being reached at the end of that straight in its original form were frightening - prior to the chicane, one of Peugeot's prototypes was clocked at over 400km/h - and we have had instances of aviating cars, such as Mark Webber's Merc:

Here's a good guide, Tony:

https://www.fiawec.com/en/classes/32

With regard to Mulsanne, while I can understand the sentiment, the terminal velocities being reached at the end of that straight in its original form were frightening - prior to the chicane, one of Peugeot's prototypes was clocked at over 400km/h - and we have had instances of aviating cars, such as Mark Webber's Merc:

Yep, but Webber and Dumbreck had their flights well after the Mulsanne was ruined. Other factors at play, aero, humps on track, overtaking…

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back