advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Bizarre.

Max didn't try to land on top of the Spitfire though...but I kinda wish the Spitty opened up on that Red Bull and left some damage. Horner would be on the blower to North Korea straight away to get some nukes.

Must sting a bit seeing Renault engined RB with Honda livery? Rewriting history so it suits.

I was never a fan of MSC to put it mildly but good piece on him in MotorSport. Covers many elements of his character and skill from the teams around him, I found it quite informative. As a lifelong Williams fan he was always the enemy to me so good to get some other perspectives.

I was never a fan of MSC to put it mildly but good piece on him in MotorSport. Covers many elements of his character and skill from the teams around him, I found it quite informative. As a lifelong Williams fan he was always the enemy to me so good to get some other perspectives.
I used to be a Williams fan until they let Damon go. Hated Frank for ages after that until I realised that F1 is about the constructors first, drivers second.
Now, I just admire any fire-fighting hotchpotch of a team that can keep its neck above water in such a tough environment. Points? Ha! A luxury.

Good article that, thanks. I was a massive fan, but not oblivious to his faults. To me he still is the most complete driver... skill, racecraft, intelligence, fitness, dedication, teamwork... he had it all! I was lucky enough to have a chat with a fairly senior retired F1 engineer a few years ago who had worked with Senna and he reckoned that if Hamilton had Schumacher's single mindedness about F1 he'd be just about unbeatable... that isn't a criticism of Lewis as his life wouldn't work that way, but I can sort of see what he means.

As mentioned upthread, I was at competing teams throughout Michaels' career, until he joined Mercedes for his return to the sport. As he was so shy few people got to know him, but the likes of Jock Clear, who was one of his race engineers, went out of their way to get to know him.

The article is well written, but to an extent seems like repeats of much of what has been in the public domain for years. Eddie Irvine's comments were knew to me so that was interesting.

I am afraid that the Hungary 98 race victory comments still annoy me now. The Ferrari was a fast car at Hungary and Michael was the fastest driver and so were very likely to win whatever strategy was chosen. With each stint being a sprint, the driver's job was to drive as fast as possible (as long as the tyres were not going to grain and they were not at Hungary that year). It was not Ross' strategic genius (good that this was not mentioned as it normally is) it was just Michael doing what he does best, driving a fast race car, faster than others in the race.

As a schoolboy F1 fan MSC was 'the enemy' but after he moved to Ferrari he won me over with his raw talent and relentless determination. By the end of his career I was a big fan and when he took that pole in Monaco in the Mercedes I was quite emotional.

Watching him hustle the Ferrari's around in 1996 and 97 made me a believer. He was so obviously massively outperforming the car.

F1 is keen for new engine manufacturers to come in but the current teams do not really want new teams coming in.

That was why they negotiated the $200 million buy in clause for any new team. Not only does the new team have to put up $200 million, they would then see that money distributed around their competitors to make beating them even easier...

Maybe if the right team came along that they felt would add value to F1 the current teams would all agree to change the terms, but $200 million buy in fee would make no sense in terms of value, to any new team.

F1 is keen for new engine manufacturers to come in but the current teams do not really want new teams coming in.

That was why they negotiated the $200 million buy in clause for any new team. Not only does the new team have to put up $200 million, they would then see that money distributed around their competitors to make beating them even easier...

Maybe if the right team came along that they felt would add value to F1 the current teams would all agree to change the terms, but $200 million buy in fee would make no sense in terms of value, to any new team.

The lead up to the buy-in was classic Bernie, sold on the premise it was to ensure a quality funded team entered. I believe it was originally a deposit held by the FIA and could be returned but somewhere it turned into a true buy in and revenue for the other teams.

Does this apply if a new owner buys and renames an existing team?

I'd much rather see a 'no regulations' sprint race, or 'reduced regulations' on the car, so the builders can come up with say a sprint car that is more about their ingenuity rather than rules. That would be a damn good race then and even Spinepin may get a look.

advertisement

Back