advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Not long to go but in the meantime, Drive to Survive season 3 is now on Netflix. I've watched the first three episodes and in episode 3, which covers Bottas' win in Sochi, it seems to be suggested that, at an unconscious level at least, Bottas really is the number 2 driver: the pit crew are heard being prompted to cheer him on when he crosses the line, and when Bottas returns to the mobile operations vehicle, he finds that everybody has already gone, implying that no-one really cares if he wins - or loses - as he's not their man. I'm sure editing plays a part in how it all comes across but I'm sure there's a grain of truth in there as well.

Watched it too. That might have had something to do with Bottas giving up his 2nd place on the grid by giving Max a tow on his lap. That went down like a lead ballon with the team but can understand the his reasons. Also we know editing plays a huge part in shaping the story the producers want to tell.

He might not fancy Russell as a team mate pushing him very, very hard next season...

There is an argument that Mercedes might not want it, BOT is in many ways the perfect team mate, always there to pick up the pieces if HAM gets it wrong or the car fails. Fast enough to win on merit. We have seen inter team battles lose championships in the past, having two "number ones" rarely works. Against BOT is that how long he can keep this level up, make no mistake, he is operating at an extremely high level but he has had too many "nowhere" races. I think RUS is a better prospect for the future and someone who can beat and take over from HAM .

I'd love to see RUS in the car up against HAM and I think there is a very good chance it will happen in 2022. I don't think HAM is worried by it, no driver at that level is scared of another driver, their self confidence is complete, they all know that with the best car, they will win!

MSC always prevented his team mates from being able to compete with him, practically and contractually and I will always hold that against him but I understand and appreciate why he did it and why Benetton and then Ferrari enabled him to do that. They wanted to win championships and that was the best way to do it.

Mercedes to their credit have never stooped to those tactics and I hope they never will.

If Lewis wins title No8, what more is there for him to prove by staying around longer than he needs to? He seems to have plenty of interests outside of F1, so he may well decide to get on with that side of his life.

Has anyone been watching Series 3 of Drive to Survive? The third episode focuses on Bottas and is excellent, he comes across really well and gives an insight into what it's like being up against a true great. After his win at Sochi he goes to the debrief and all the engineers have left... very telling as to who their main driver is. I ended up feeling a lot of empathy for him and his giving Max a tow in quali at Sochi was ingenious and cheeky.

Has anyone been watching Series 3 of Drive to Survive? The third episode focuses on Bottas and is excellent, he comes across really well and gives an insight into what it's like being up against a true great. After his win at Sochi he goes to the debrief and all the engineers have left... very telling as to who their main driver is. I ended up feeling a lot of empathy for him and his giving Max a tow in quali at Sochi was ingenious and cheeky.
I binged the whole series between Sat night, Monday morning. Yeah, it was clever though the team thought otherwise! The Man On Fire episode is something else. Looks like they had access to unique footage of the Haas crash, well scenes that I’ve not seen before anyway.

I binged the whole series between Sat night, Monday morning. Yeah, it was clever though the team thought otherwise! The Man On Fire episode is something else. Looks like they had access to unique footage of the Haas crash, well scenes that I’ve not seen before anyway.

Haven't got to that one yet, will do by tonight :D

Verstappen is looking good in free practice. Perez is nowhere near him. And Ricciardo is nowhere near Norris. Is that just unfamiliarity? And where is Mercedes?

Verstappen is looking good in free practice. Perez is nowhere near him. And Ricciardo is nowhere near Norris. Is that just unfamiliarity? And where is Mercedes?

RIC is known for taking it steady when he is learning. I am pretty sure he will be right up there with NOR when it counts. PER on the other hand I am less convinced about. VER is special and GAS and ALB are no mugs. I am sure he will close the gap but I remain unconvinced they have an upgrade in the second RB

RIC is known for taking it steady when he is learning. I am pretty sure he will be right up there with NOR when it counts. PER on the other hand I am less convinced about. VER is special and GAS and ALB are no mugs. I am sure he will close the gap but I remain unconvinced they have an upgrade in the second RB
Think Perez will be ok once he gets himself sorted. He’s never been one lap fast but he usually make progress during Sunday. How he can make a set of tyres last is unreal at times

Plenty of stories to follow this season with all the driver changes though.

Last edited:
Free practice means very little

Sainz faster than Leclerc
Ocon faster than Alonso
Stroll faster than Vettel

I see that Schumacher is Swiss

In 2008 Honda threw everything and the kitchen sink at the development of their 2009 car, they also withdrew from the sport and sold the operation to Ross Brawn... in 2009 that car even with the 'wrong' engine installed wiped the floor with the opposition for the first half of the season and won the WC.
The Merc was the best engine to put on the back of the Brawn car (I did a lot of analysis for Ross of all the options). The car was the fastest for the first third of the season, but with only a small development budget other teams caught up and overtook Brawn. Whilst it was close, the Brawn was averaging 3rd fastest for the rest of the season. Brawn won because of a stunning start to the season, putting everyone else on the back foot, very good reliability and very good strategic decisions.[/QUOTE]

In 2021 Honda have thrown everything including the kitchen sink at the development of their more compact engine that allows for better aero at the rear of the Red Bull and they are leaving the sport at the end of the season..... hmmmmm... history about to repeat?
Currently it looks like Honda have done a good job with the engine, but Merc have also got some handling problems. The changes to the 2021 regs have made it a bit more difficult to get the aero to work wit a low rake car. It will be interesting to ee how quickly they are able to fix the problem.

Not long to go but in the meantime, Drive to Survive season 3 is now on Netflix. I've watched the first three episodes and in episode 3, which covers Bottas' win in Sochi, it seems to be suggested that, at an unconscious level at least, Bottas really is the number 2 driver: the pit crew are heard being prompted to cheer him on when he crosses the line, and when Bottas returns to the mobile operations vehicle, he finds that everybody has already gone, implying that no-one really cares if he wins - or loses - as he's not their man. I'm sure editing plays a part in how it all comes across but I'm sure there's a grain of truth in there as well.
I binge watched Drive to Survive and whilst I enjoyed it, I think they messed up not covering the Williams story which was really big and important for F1.

advertisement

Back