advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Obviously the idea the sprint race was a plan to make the racing more exciting, a frenzy of overtakes and action, the nature of the cars, the track and cost of crashing out limits this somewhat!

Whats is good, it mixes it up a bit and it's certainly done that this weekend, perhaps the outcome of the sprint race yesterday could ultimately decided who the championship goes too.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Bottas does for the rest of the season, perhaps it's written into his contract that he must help Lewis win the championship? Or with the psychological pressure off, decided to go for it every race? Shame he's starting at the back.

Whats is good, it mixes it up a bit and it's certainly done that this weekend, perhaps the outcome of the sprint race yesterday could ultimately decided who the championship goes too.
I really hope that they do not decide to do that. After working very hard for a year to get a driver into a position to have won the championship and then have a random decider where anything can happen and anyone can win that invalidates the rest of the season sounds really bad to me.

I really hope that they do not decide to do that. After working very hard for a year to get a driver into a position to have won the championship and then have a random decider where anything can happen and anyone can win that invalidates the rest of the season sounds really bad to me.

I can understand that Ian especially as it's (was) your job! but as someone who watches as a fan the most interesting racing is when your not really sure what the outcome will be, a nightmare for you!
I know this is partly at odds with what modern F1 is about these days, ie the best ideas and development wins, the most interesting part of sport is when someone succeeds against all the odds.
What's what made this year interesting is that two teams and drivers are neck and neck, with Mercedes on the back foot with Redbull challenging their dominance.

Let’s hope Lewis gets a great start and passes the McLaren’s or one of the McLarens gets passed Max or it’s going to be very boring

I can understand that Ian especially as it's (was) your job! but as someone who watches as a fan the most interesting racing is when your not really sure what the outcome will be, a nightmare for you!
I know this is partly at odds with what modern F1 is about these days, ie the best ideas and development wins, the most interesting part of sport is when someone succeeds against all the odds.
What's what made this year interesting is that two teams and drivers are neck and neck, with Mercedes on the back foot with Redbull challenging their dominance.
Yes, F1 is a real meritocracy, where the best drivers, with the best cars and best strategies, win across a whole season. I would not want to see that change!
But of course I am an F1 dinosaur, although perhaps not as much as @Tony Lockhart though who has a far greater knowledge of earlier F1 than I do!

Let’s hope Lewis gets a great start and passes the McLaren’s or one of the McLarens gets passed Max or it’s going to be very boring
You can guess the amount of seconds Max could be ahead around first pitstop if he remains ahead of the McLaren's and Lewis is not. Still after first pitstops Lewis should then have past the McLaren's in the pits and will close the gap probably, his Mercedes is faster and overtaking the RedBull on track is probably easier than overtaking the McLaren on track, for the Mercedes.

Yes, F1 is a real meritocracy, where the best drivers, with the best cars and best strategies, win across a whole season. I would not want to see that change!
But of course I am an F1 dinosaur, although perhaps not as much as @Tony Lockhart though who has a far greater knowledge of earlier F1 than I do!
This is the way it should always be.
If you want to see mixed up grids go stock car racing.

You can guess the amount of seconds Max could be ahead around first pitstop if he remains ahead of the McLaren's and Lewis is not. Still after first pitstops Lewis should then have past the McLaren's in the pits and will close the gap probably, his Mercedes is faster and overtaking the RedBull on track is probably easier than overtaking the McLaren on track, for the Mercedes.
I think you will find that Max will have a similar pace to the Mercs in the race & he is a terrific front runner.

When Lewis says his tyres are gone they in fact hold perfectly, when Lewis says Max will have an easy win, his Mercedes is most likely to win :)

I agree, but if two or three Teams were on a similar level it would make it more interesting (like this year), everybody has had a go at Christian Horner for trying every trick in the book to unsettle his rivals, he's only doing what every team principal as done throughout the history of F1 surely? Drama is what sport is, there are no scruples when it comes to winning in F1, most principals are only one step away from being Dick Dastardly ;)

What got me watching F1 again was Lewis Hamilton, when he was a younger driver i liked the fact he wore his heart on is sleeve and he wasn't afraid to say what he felt even if it was a bit misguided or people criticized him for it, it was much less corporate and relatable than many drivers that had come before.
Now he is one of the greatest, if not the GOAT in F1, although i think his lasting legacy will be much bigger than that!

I agree, but if two or three Teams were on a similar level it would make it more interesting (like this year), everybody has had a go at Christian Horner for trying every trick in the book to unsettle his rivals, he's only doing what every team principal as done throughout the history of F1 surely? Drama is what sport is, there are no scruples when it comes to winning in F1, most principals are only one step away from being Dick Dastardly ;)

If the FIA would leave the rules alone then we would end up with a much closer grid and racing, but they like to keep on playing with the rules, which always benefits the top teams as they have the resource, better processes and cleverer people to make the best of them.

What I find really funny is the level of arrogance of the heads of aero and Technical Directors in the smaller teams, as when asked whether they want rule changes, they invariably say yes and justify this by saying that we are not winning now, so if we change the rules we think we can do a better job than the other teams and will start winning...

Also a point I have made before on PFM is very relevant. The area that teams can develop most performance from is developing the aerodynamics. With wind tunnel time and CFD have been heavily limited for years and now the top teams are allowed even less wind tunnel time than the midfield, in my view there it little excuse for the wide variation in aero performance. So each team has a responsibility for the grid being spaced out as well as the FIA.

advertisement

Back