advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

I had tickets for the 2020 Canadian GP - promoter is not refunding any fans, despite many broken promises. I'm personally out $500 and am contemplating filing a case in the Quebec small claims court. We bought our tickets from https://tickets.formula1.com and they have told us there's "nothing they can do until the race promoter releases the funds". In short the entire F1 organization has just thrown the Canadian GP ticket holders under the bus.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/canadian-grand-prix-refunds-delays-1.5963679

Man, that's bad news - hopefully you get your money back (and sooner rather than later!)!

I don't think I'll ever get the money back but there is a very slim chance if I file a small claims court case against the Canadian promoter, Octane racing - the only reports of refunds are from fans who've taken that route.

Suffice to say that F1 will never receive a penny from me so long as I live, aside from any pennies they might get when I watch highlights on youtube.

I would have been happy to get half back and an F1 hat / shirt as recognition that some of the ticket money had already been spent on promotion and preparation, but to not refund a penny demonstrates that F1 is a crooked organization.

I don't think I'll ever get the money back but there is a very slim chance if I file a small claims court case against the Canadian promoter, Octane racing - the only reports of refunds are from fans who've taken that route.

Suffice to say that F1 will never receive a penny from me so long as I live, aside from any pennies they might get when I watch highlights on youtube.

Has anyone attempted a class action?

Has anyone attempted a class action?

Not as far as I'm aware. I think Canadian law may limit that compared to the US. Besides, if there were a class action I doubt I'd get back more than 10% of the cost of the tickets. I think small claims court is the best bet.

And any offer of a ticket for this years race would’ve been rather hollow now that it’s cancelled, replaced by another in Turkey.

I would not be surprised if octane racing files for bankruptcy and all of the ticket money disappears. The real shame is that F1 has extended the contract to race in Montreal - they clearly don't care if they work with a race promoter who steals ticket money.

There's been some great racing this year, but how much better could it be without the Pirelli tyre lottery?

Seriously, I've nothing against some management skill being required - I just think the current temp sensitivity has been way overdone. When a driver can be quick and then an also-ran in the same race it's just ridiculous. And if, as hinted, drivers' contracts actually state that that any criticism is forbidden, then someone has something to hide.

Seriously, I've nothing against some management skill being required - I just think the current temp sensitivity has been way overdone. When a driver can be quick and then an also-ran in the same race it's just ridiculous. And if, as hinted, drivers' contracts actually state that that any criticism is forbidden, then someone has something to hide.

They are tough but its always HAM and VER at the front joined by LEC and NOR these days. Top drivers always there.

Lewis does what Lewis does, and great to see Perez keeping Mercedes honest in terms of constructors championship as once again he picks up max points available.

The driver is making the difference. Verstappen vs Bottas is no contest, versus Lewis and it's a whole different ball game.
When Mercedes eventually have to tell Bottas he has to support Lewis in this years WC, he can’t have any complaints as he’s simply not at Lewis’ level. Bottas tried his best to drop him into a fight with Max on his restart and it worked. But at the same time, moves like that (and I don’t blame as he has to try something) are only going to fire Lewis up even more.

I think Lewis will have really enjoyed that win.

Last edited:
What do you suggest?

(And make sure your idea is without fault )
How about there is one tyre for dry and one for wet? There is no mandatory change (i.e. unnecessary) to promote fake excitement and claims of better strategy and so on.

Dry and wet can be exchanged as weather dictates.

The tyre lasts the whole race btw

How about there is one tyre for dry and one for wet? There is no mandatory change (i.e. unnecessary) to promote fake excitement and claims of better strategy and so on.

Dry and wet can be exchanged as weather dictates.

The tyre lasts the whole race btw

We have been there before, you get the Bridgestone everlasting tyre. Great tyre technology for sure but really boring to race on as you get no allowance for different strategies. The fastest car always ends up on pole and drives away. Not to say that under the current system generally the fastest car does not win but at least there is a chance for close cars to try a different strategy or maybe one car works better on one tyre and the other team is the alternate tyre. Mixes it up and gives the most skilled drivers a chance to shine, sort of a mini wet race which after all was the original intent as an alternative to the Bernie sprinklers.

Most variants have been tried before and found wanting in some way. The current system does not always work but tyre management has always been an element of F1, it is just at its most extreme currently and personally I think it works pretty well most of the time.

I’d love to see Avon doing an F1 tyre again

Also It is not Pirelli causing this, they were and are under instruction by the FIA to create the high deg tyres. All the manufacturers are well capable of making long lasting tyres.

advertisement

Back