advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Not really a motor sport fan but tuned in today to see what all the fuss was about.

What a load of nonsense. I think I’ll stick with the football. No need to create false drama in the premier league!

Very sensible of them IMO. I’m really not tribal, I was happy for the best driver/team to win today, but I really don’t think we got to see that. The rules are the rules. They have to be. They are fully documented in order to be as unambiguous and easy to interpret as possible. It is clear they were not followed at the end of this race and at other times in this season. That is 100% on the race director. I don’t think the situation can be reversed at this point, but the result is obviously tainted and the race director’s position untenable.
Trouble is, Tony, I think they've become rather Byzantine - they are formulated with a variety of objects in mind, particularly (a) safety (b) entertainment, and they are formulated in the light of the complexities of the sport. F1 can never be as straightforward as a 100M sprint, and that "entertainment" bit is an important part of the equation. Therefore, it's not a matter of punching a particular button and out comes the correct/appropriate answer - there is interpretation, and that means judgement in the application of the rules, and misjudgements are possible, just the way that referees often misjudge obvious penalties (or award them for non-penalties).

Hamilton was unlucky today - just think, if Giovinazzi had kept it on the island, he'd be world champion. It happens; in Mexico in 1964, the World Championship lead changed 3 times on the last lap, with John Surtees winning it only because team mate Lorenzo Bandini let him past.

The extension of that article then states

"Unless clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap."

There was no lap in between, nor did the last lapped car pass the leader.

The rule extension is still perfectly consistent with my reading of the main rule.
I wasn't addressing the matter of the Safety Car's last lap.
ML

Odd, though, and slightly suspicious, that only the cars between Ham and Ver were cleared out of the way? It may have been a bit different had Ver still got his hard tyres on, perhaps? But the result still smacks of manipulation.Happy

Great season and a great race, i think what we've witness is the changing of the guard, new younger driver oust the older more experienced one (and possibly the GOAT at that), clearly Hamilton and Versttapen are the best two drivers in F1.
Will be an interesting season next year with the new cars, lets hope the other Teams are as competitive as as RB and Mercedes, how fast Russell is compared to Hamilton will be telling.

The rule extension is still perfectly consistent with my reading of the main rule.
I wasn't addressing the matter of the Safety Car's last lap.
ML

You said the regulation, but negated its entirety, as the rest of it 'rules' out the interpretation value you mentioned.

Ahem.... VAR!!!

VAR isn’t perfect and as I said earlier, I’m not a motor sport fan/expert but to my eyes the footballing equivalent would be one team winning by 2 clear goals with 5 minutes to play, an injury occurring and the scores being reset to 0-0.

Also, the team that were losing all have a quick drink of Lucozade whilst the other teams studs are removed from their boots! What a load of shite

Hamilton gained advantage unfairly on turn 6 by taking a shortchut...

Imagine every driver launching himself desperately like Max into every corner.

Lewis was fastest today, and only silly F1 rules and race director ad hoc decision, crated this unfair result, to put is simply: 11 sec race lead has been lost, because slowest driver crashed.

VAR isn’t perfect and as I said earlier, I’m not a motor sport fan/expert but to my eyes the footballing equivalent would be one team winning by 2 clear goals with 5 minutes to play, an injury occurring and the scores being reset to 0-0.

Also, the team that were losing all have a quick drink of Lucozade whilst the other teams studs are removed from their boots! What a load of shite

sums it up admirably.

Imagine every driver launching himself desperately like Max into every corner.

Lewis was fastest today, and only silly F1 rules and race director ad hoc decision ,crated this unfair result, to put is simply: Race leader lost, because slowest driver crashed.

Did he, or didt he not gain advantage from not taking the chicane?

Mind you I hadn't watched an F1 race since '94 and have no stake with either driver...

Did he, or didn't he gain advantage from not taking the chicane?

Important is that Max forced him out of the track. That is also not legal in F1. He slowed down later to get to the situation before Max launch. And that was accepted by stewards. Forcing out of the road is very bad thing in F1 and was penalised in the past, so you can argue Max was lucky not to get penalty as well.

Did he, or didt he not gain advantage from not taking the chicane?

Mind you I hadn't watched an F1 race since '94 and have no stake with either driver...

Yes he did but he gave back enough to satisfy the stewards. In addition it had similarities to some previous incidents that were not penalised either so close enough to pass without penalty

What a farce.

I've watched every race (either live or highlights or occasionally both) for years. Tonight I won't bother. What would be the point?

As an individual I prefer Hamilton but they are both extraordinarily talented drivers and either would have made a worthy champion on that score. The officials managed to turn a tense but not particularly exciting final race into a bad joke. Shades of that blue-blazered clown Balestre who used to run things years ago....

advertisement

Back