advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Has there been any indication of comparative performance from the practice sessions today?

I’ve been into That London to tidy up the office and sign and courier some documents, and haven’t had a chance to see any news yet.

Has there been any indication of comparative performance from the practice sessions today?

I’ve been into That London to tidy up the office and sign and courier some documents, and haven’t had a chance to see any news yet.

Very hard to say, they are all sandbagging so much they could hold back an ocean.

VER and HAM were very close in FP1 but HAM's best time was deleted for track limits. FP2 HAM was quicker by 0.3 sec but I don't believe that gap and then they were on long runs where VER was very quick but HAM was very slow. Again I don't believe it was representative and some folks think the Merc was laden to the gunnels with fuel.

My prediction is that HAM and VER will be 1 and 2, no idea which way round but PER and BOT were going well as well so they will be 3 and 4 , probably BOT first as he is a better qualifier than PER unless the RB adv is real in which case reverse it.

t2355.gif

It's too close to call still. The only thing I noticed from the sessions yesterday is the straight line speed of the Merc looks better than that of the RB. To me that means that Verstappen is going to need that pole as I don't think he'll be able to pass the Merc on the track without tyre advantage. I suspect today we will see RB sacrifice some of that race pace for one lap pace in terms of set up in an effort to get pole and conversely Merc may go slightly the other way. However, pole will still come down to who pulls a mega lap out of the bag and my money is for some strange reason on Max. The race will be by no means a foregone conclusion whoever is on pole but I fancy Lewis to be more able to effect an overtake in the Merc than Max in the RB all other things being equal. What is good overall though is the track doesn't seem to massively suit one car over the other. As much as I support Lewis I would love a proper fight for the win and a fair one hopefully.

They both have the ability to pull out one phenomenal lap.
It will be interesting to see who prevails in qualifying.

These two have been the exceptional drivers for some time.

I hope for a clean contest and I get the impression the qualifying is slightly more critical for RB than Merc but we shall see. What I don't want to see is bad driving, whoever is at fault, to be casually dismissed as "being on the edge" or some other benign excuse.

Being on the edge is one thing, being over it is dangerous and not in the game. Relying on other drivers to be fair so that you can push it slightly beyond that, should always be called out for what it is.

Disaster.

Max on Pole, on reds, by a fair margin too (created by a strategic Perez tow)

Lewis, second on yellows.

Botas, caught falling asleep at the wheel.

Sad to hear lots of booing from The Chav Army.

Hamilton in a good position on the mediums, those softs won’t last long on a fully fuelled car.
Lando could cause some issues in the first corner.
Interesting!

Hamilton in a good position on the mediums, those softs won’t last long on a fully fuelled car.
Lando could cause some issues in the first corner.
Interesting!

Yes good call, it wasn't their primary strategy (or was the lock up a strategic move?) and there wont be a team mate tow tomorrow either so may shake things up a little..hopefully!

Having the fastest lap in qualifying does not mean that you have the fastest car in the race.

This is because the optimal setup for qualifying is not the optimal setup for the race.

Lewis has the advantage that he has higher straight line speed. Max has the advantage that he should be able to look after his tyres longer, but as I have not heard anything about how the tyres are degrading here, there may be no advantage for Max or in fact there may be a bit of a deg disadvantage.

All setup for a very exciting race.

I saw footage of Leclerc with the helmet cam fitted at one point and I was surprised to see he had speed shown on his display! Any onboard footage of a race car either doesn’t have it or it’s blanked out.

It also showed just how limited his vision is with the halo and his helmet!

I saw footage of Leclerc with the helmet cam fitted at one point and I was surprised to see he had speed shown on his display! Any onboard footage of a race car either doesn’t have it or it’s blanked out.

It also showed just how limited his vision is with the halo and his helmet!

Brundle described it as being like going 200 MPH in a bath tub whilst peering through a mail slot.

Good lap by Max and clever use of Perez , strange Mercedes did not also try this but Bottas does not seem to be contributing much of late ! Going to be a close race

advertisement

Back