advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

Tony Lockhart

Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity
I suppose the first question is will you be watching it? Only the British GP will be live on C4, the rest will be the crappy ‘highlights’ shows hours after the results have been shown all over the internet. I doubt I’ll be going to any races, but I’m hoping a mate will be upgrading his Sky package to include sport, then I can use the Sky Go login he’s given me. We have a dish on the house that we use for Freesat, but no way am I paying that much for a Sky package.

Lots of driver changes for 2019, let’s hope it’s another memorable season.

I doubt I'll be watching given the cost which is rather unfortunate as it's looking like it's going to be a fascinating season.

Hi,

I have Sky Sports added to my package, have had for a few years now.

Lots to watch, I like the F1, cricket and golf, the coverage is excellent, maybe not to everyones taste but it is well done.

For the cost of a few pounds a month you get an excellent sports package that gives great coverage into something like F1, what's not to like and what is the issue with paying, after all if you buy a few beers or bottles of wine a week you will more than likely spend a lot more on that than having Sky Sports 24/7.

Cheers

John

The Channel 4 team seemed to be saying farewell to their coverage rather than simply saying farewell to the season, which makes me wonder... I know Channel 4 will only be showing highlights next year but I assumed DC and Co would still be providing commentary etc, is this not the case? Is it the case that Channel 4 will show highlights, but only highlights produced and delivered by SKY? That could be the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned as I've yet to warm to SKY F1 coverage based on what I've seen so far.

I’m perfectly happy with highlights, so I’m still in. To be honest there are exceptionally few races that retain my attention for the full duration, so if anything I prefer the edited highlights! The only issue is remembering to avoid watching the news and this thread before the broadcast!

It's gonna go the same way as the cricket.

and just about every other major sport that I find interesting. The only thing slightly sport related that seems to be live these days on terrestrial channels is snooker and darts.

I will be watching. I have the full Sky package although with children away from home now, I need to review what we actually need. I love a race weekend and will often settle in the kitchen and watch the preamble, race and post event coverage whilst cooking and baking for the afternoon.

Thankfully the SRF, Switzerland's national broadcasting system, takes all the races live, unless there's a major clash, e.g. Roger Federer playing in a final, in which case it will be shown later. And there are always Austrian or German TV, which do the same.

Thankfully the SRF, Switzerland's national broadcasting system, takes all the races live, unless there's a major clash, e.g. Roger Federer playing in a final, in which case it will be shown later. And there are always Austrian or German TV, which do the same.

Know any hacks to watch those channels in the UK or online (using a VPN)?

I dont mind Sky as an idea and service, but as they seem to want to basically absorb ALL sports onto their platform, it's time to fightback.

Sky sports only really cost effective if you watch other sports as well as F1 otherwise very expensive . I will be watching the highlights , hopefully without the sky commentary

Somewhat off topic here, but I just watched brief highlights of a Formula E race for the first time and oh my goodness, it's like real-life Scalextric! I can't decide whether that equates to real-life fun or real-life waste of time so I'll probably watch one race and see how it goes for myself. Fwiw, the new season begins on 15th December and each race will be broadcast live on the BBC - link.

Formula E season starts today with coverage live on BBC online at 12 noon. I'll be at work but it'll be interesting to watch, I'm sure, as the cars can now run from start to finish on one charge (what an unusual thing to say about a real-world motorsport race) and there should be plenty of overtaking thanks to each car having, er, an overtake button.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/motorsport/46198846

Just had a quick look at the latest incarnation of Formula E for a few minutes. People have been saying it’ll be much better this year.

Better than what? And still the circuit (in Saudi Arabia) is horrible. Are the sponsors paying people to go? People who have nothing better to do today?

Terrible commentary doesn’t help.

Not really. F3 is properly open-wheel. FE is almost enclosed wheels like Indy cars. F3 has a rear wing, FE has shaped rear aerofoils.

They look, to me, silly.

advertisement

Back