advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

Did you like the fact that half way through the race the drivers had to get out of their race car and get into another race car as the batteries could not hold enough energy to get to the end of the race?

What do you like about Formula E? The cars are very slow and yet still difficult to drive. The manufacturers are playing safe by getting involved a little bit as currently it is cheap to do so. But as it is a one make series, they will not invest much in it as one of their interests is to show case their engineering capability, which FE does not allow them to do.

F1 has got some very clever and experienced people working out where to take it to keep it as the top motorsport series in the world. So I remain extremely doubtful that FE will replace F1 in the next few races.

The race is now continuous, no change of car. There seems to be the same or more strategy involved than F1. Of course the cars are slower but I don’t think that makes a difference. It’s still in its early stages and I’m sure the televising and commentary will rapidly improve as people get to understand it. I will be certainly be watching the next race. All major manufacturers are now spending huge amounts of money in bringing electric cars to market, they have no choice. In my opinion the money they spend on F1 will rapidly reduce as there will be no point in developing ICE’s as its not where the advertising money will go.

Hi,

The issue that seemed to be overlooked by those that are getting excited by FE is that this form and level of racing is only being adopted by a tiny area of motor sport.

It would not surprise me that a lot has to do with developing a politically correct motor sport industry.

However the chances of all areas of motor sport being fully electric driven in the near future is decades away, I cannot see an electric powered dragster being of interest to those that follow that sport and the same would go for rallying and that is just two examples of a huge and varied motor sport industry.

Cheers

John

Yep. One of the joys of standing on a wet, forested mountainside is listening to those incredible engines approaching and disappearing. Wiggly amp rally cars?? Lol. No thanks.

Yep. One of the joys of standing on a wet, forested mountainside is listening to those incredible engines approaching and disappearing. Wiggly amp rally cars?? Lol. No thanks.

More chance of those idiots standing at the side of the road getting run over! Sounds a good idea to me. :confused:

Are you aware of F1 power unit technology since 2014?

The iCE (which is far more efficient than a road car ICE) is only a part of the system which recovers and reuses energy more efficiently than was thought possible a few years ago.

The mass of the batteries and energy density will remain a big problem for FE cars for a long time to come.

When I started in F1 the cars were at the weight limit of 505 kg. Nowadays it is frustrating enough to work on an F1 car that has a weight limit of 743 kg, due to the energy storage capability and increased safety standards. Whereas an FE car, which is much slower, has much less power (<25%) weighs 800 kg. In summary a very high power to weight ratio for an F1 car and a very low power to weight ratio for an FE car.

Verstappen put it quite bluntly the car won the Championship.

Regards,

Martin
A frustrated loser shouldn’t be taken too seriously. It’s a well known fact that Ferrari had the best car for much of the season, but as a team they threw it away.

The iCE (which is far more efficient than a road car ICE) is only a part of the system which recovers and reuses energy more efficiently than was thought possible a few years ago.

The mass of the batteries and energy density will remain a big problem for FE cars for a long time to come.

When I started in F1 the cars were at the weight limit of 505 kg. Nowadays it is frustrating enough to work on an F1 car that has a weight limit of 743 kg, due to the energy storage capability and increased safety standards. Whereas an FE car, which is much slower, has much less power (<25%) weighs 800 kg. In summary a very high power to weight ratio for an F1 car and a very low power to weight ratio for an FE car.
Aside from Ian W, whose job presumably depends on getting the car to go faster, I really don't understand the attitude amongst many posting to this thread, namely that for the spectator outright speed is everything. If it is slower, then it can't be as good seems to be a widely-held belief. I really don't agree with that view. Some of the best racing I have ever seen has been at VSCC (Vintage Sports Car Club) meetings, where the power to weight ratios of even the hottest contenders is well below what is expected today. It's not a VSCC race, but to illustrate my point take a look at this and tell me it's not first class racing:
ML

Last edited:
Aside from Ian W, whose job presumably depends on getting the car to go faster, I really don't underprevailing attitude amongst many posting to this thread, namely that for the spectator outright speed is everything. If it is slower, then it can't be as good seems to be a widely-held belief. I really don't agree with that view.
ML

It is possible to enjoy many types of racing without saying one is better than another. The recent comments were aimed at the claim that FE would overtake F1 as the premier motor sport. The best pure racing in the world is rarely in a car anyway. If I want close racing I will watch WSB, motoGP or any club racing event, even BTCC or a spec series. F1 is, and never has been, aimed at that.

I like F1 cars to be right at the edge of what is possible for speed, handling and technology. Wheel to wheel racing is important but not the most important element. FE is interesting from a technology perspective but it has a long way to go to become interesting to a non niche audience.

Didn't realise Max was so. Bitter. :D

I think part of it stems from the fact that he's never won a car championship so, much as I rate him as a quick driver, he doesn't really know what's involved in putting a championship together, he's still fighting for podiums and the occasional win.

And he knows very well that there’s a queue of younger talent, some with big budgets, scratching at the door. I find him occasionally incredible to watch, but sometimes think he needs to drive for a different team.

It’s a well known fact that Ferrari had the best car for much of the season, but as a team they threw it away.
You have claimed this before, I think.

By whom is it well known that Ferrari had the best car? Not even Ferrari claim that.

I think I have asked as much previously in this thread and had no cogent reply.

Hamilton did a very good job this year and drove his socks off to win .Overall nobody consistantly could match him and Max is just whinging as he has become a bit of a big head and not matured as i had hoped he would

advertisement

Back