advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

I'd watch the occasional FE race as part of the programme on a proper circuit: for me it's the hopelessly narrow street circuits that ruin the spectacle. And the same applies to F1. If a faster car/driver can't actually overtake it's not a race, it's a procession.

(And the Matra V12 is still the best sounding engine I've ever heard up close :D)

I'd watch the occasional FE race as part of the programme on a proper circuit: for me it's the hopelessly narrow street circuits that ruin the spectacle. And the same applies to F1. If a faster car/driver can't actually overtake it's not a race, it's a procession.
I agree about F1 on street circuits to a degree, but at Monaco it is just about possible to overtake sometimes. And I love seeing a driver trying to pressure another driver into making a mistake. It’s great fun!

FE cars have to race on circuits that are much slower than F1 circuits because the energy density of their power units is so poor.

Sorry, but it's not crap. I like Max's driving and he's as close to the edge as the rule book allows and credit to him, but..... double yellows are 'slow down, major incident ahead'. He had no real knowledge of what was ahead of him on the track yet didn't slow.... think back to Spa and Hubert for what could have been. He deserves his demotion and hopefully he will think safety first next time. The really daft thing is he should have known that he didn't even need the lap he was on for pole as everyone had to slow... why risk it?

I didn't mean the decision was crap, I was saying "oh crap". Just an expression of disappointment, don't think I needed to be lectured about it.

I didn't mean the decision was crap, I was saying "oh crap". Just an expression of disappointment, don't think I needed to be lectured about it.

There’s a difference between crap and crap depending on which side of the pond you’re from.

Excellent tactical race, feel a bit sorry for Leclerc as think Ferrari shafted him on strategy. Brundle making a comment about Lewis complaining about his tyres and too early a pitstop an hour ago made me laugh as at the same time he was telling us Vettel was going to win, but he seems to have forgotten that!

Excellent tactical race, feel a bit sorry for Leclerc as think Ferrari shafted him on strategy. Brundle making a comment about Lewis complaining about his tyres and too early a pitstop an hour ago made me laugh as at the same time he was telling us Vettel was going to win, but he seems to have forgotten that!

But Lewis almost always whines on the radio second-guessing pit strategy.

Reduced to listening on Radio5live. Either I'm getting crankier or their anchorman gets more like Murray Walker every day: mis-identifying team-mates, mis-reading the race, getting hysterical about nothing and pronouncing Hamilton's nursing his tyres to the win in a damaged car 'good, but not great.'
Radio cries out for knowledgable commentators who can paint a picture with words and who know when to shut up. Too much to expect from local radio cricket reporters perhaps, but surely they could find someone better for GPs?
(Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells)

Hi,

I sometimes wonder if they should go back to one set of tyres per race, why should the pit crew have an impact on the race?

I thought motor racing was about who was the fastest driver and the team made the car.

Yesterday was interesting, however you did get the feeling that the top four positions would not change because of the way the cars were overheating or their tyres going off.

Also cannot remember if it was David Croft or Martin Brundle who made a comment during the race that this overheating and tyre issue would be solved in 2021, but there was an edge to the comment that made you wonder if in fact their opinion was that it would be unlikely if this would solve the issue.

Cheers

John

@Eyebroughty

The trouble with one set of tyres per race is that the pole car will probably get to the first corner first, and, as he has the fastest car, he’ll stay in that position til the chequered flag. I’m a bit of a purist, but I can see that wouldn’t work for most/any fans.
The 2021 car rules are being designed with, hopefully, reduced aero effect on following cars, nothing to do with heat. Brundle hi ted at the heat issue, but in my view it’s only an issue because a following car can’t sit close enough to the rear of the lead car without loss of downforce and tyre degradation. Heat, at Mexico, compounds the situation. Heat won’t be such a problem if the following car can actually fight for position.

There are too many grey areas and inconsistencies in the application of rules in F1 however in my opinion safety especially under Yellow flags is and should not be open to debate. The drivers have to slow down under these circumstances,especially when there may be Marshalls or other safety personnel on the track who may not have the safety of a crash tested cockpit to protect them.

@Tony Lockhart

While I partially agree with your point on the pole car getting into the first corner this does not explain how fast drivers like Max Verstappen can go from last to sixth, and yes I see the point that the cars he passed were maybe not as quick.

However the fact remains that F1 is becoming more and more boring, I get the impression over the last few years that more and more people are switching off after the first corner as that is where the only action occurs, in fact I am sure there was a comment passed about that point yesterday on Sky.

This is why I assume, maybe wrongly, that the FIA, or whoever is in charge, are trying to come up with different ideas to halt this slide in popularily of the sport.

It was interesting yesterday when Toto Wolff was being interviewed after the race he made mention about the nearly 2000 employees that make this car so good.

With all those assets available to other teams would they then not be in a position to level the playing field.

Or is the fact that it is the huge resources that make a car the best and so we are we stuck in whoever has the biggest pot of money will win.

advertisement

Back