advertisement

The 2017 F1 Thread

The Italian court, after many years, declared it was failure of the steering column, however Adrian Newey seems to say that the cause will never be known
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/24358508
Although he may have an interest in taking this stance, there does seem to be evidence that Senna was driving the car normally, ie the column was intact prior to the accident.

Courts, even Italian ones, decide matters of fact amongst other things. Of course Newey et. al. deny responsibility and were not prosecuted for manslaughter because by the time the notoriously slow Italian justice system eventually reached that conclusion the statute of limitation was well out of time.

Courts, even Italian ones, decide matters of fact amongst other things. Of course Newey et. al. deny responsibility and were not prosecuted for manslaughter because by the time the notoriously slow Italian justice system eventually reached that conclusion the statute of limitation was well out of time.

Doubtful. I suspect they wanted a nice clean blame result and one that would not impact the accused worked well. They took just enough time I believe.

Nobody in a team tells the journos what they are actually doing to avoid the results of their efforts being offered free to their competitors.

It became clear to me in 1975, when I was working on computer optimisation of suspension geometry, that the only thing which made a big difference was aero gains, so I stopped dicking with suspension (apart from active later - and that was an aero gain) and started using the wind tunnel more.

Nevertheless every time we made a gain I told journos it was a new rear suspension geometry despite the fact we ran the same bits for 5 seasons :)

Excellent.

It will be interesting to see how they will perform on a race circuit. Today was Mildly interesting for the first ten laps and then was the usual boring procession.

It will be interesting to see how they will perform on a race circuit. Today was Mildly interesting for the first ten laps and then was the usual boring procession.

The lap chart for the last half of the race was all straight lines except for the Ocon/Alonso/Hulkenberg shuffle.

Watching it now it seems nothing has changed. Pit stops determine the outcome. Overtaking is no easier. Boring procession.

Disappointing first race, boring as hell. Its good to see Ferrari are competitive but if the top cars cannot overtake each other because of the drastic loss of aero when within 2 secs, its gonna be dull regardless of fat tyres and improved cornering speeds.

Very Boring race , they have made cars faster but overtaking harder and less action and strategy options due to more durable tyres , looks like being a boring watch

Very Boring race , they have made cars faster but overtaking harder and less action and strategy options due to more durable tyres , looks like being a boring watch

As was predicted by all former driver/team engineers who have ventured an opinion.

I suspect it will turn out to be all about qualy and track position in 2017

Looks like 'game on' and Ferrari have genuine pace. Well done Vettel.

That was good to see. Although Melbourne is an outlier in terms of circuit type and a better idea of each team's pace will be seen once we get to the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Mercedes made a complete mess of Lewis' race strategy by calling him in early, thereby gifting the race to Vettel. Vettel was marginally quicker than Hamilton, but Melbourne is difficult overtake on and even more so with evenly matched cars.

Funny that Mercedes are saying that it was not a strategic error (all they had to do was shadow Ferrari for the one pitstop) and Ferrari were waiting for the undercut, of which there was none, as the tires had so little degradation.

So Symonds is saying that the shark fin can cause the rear wing to stall out?
I wouldn't mind if they got rid of those. Makes the cars even fugglier. And what is that "TV aerial" thing mounted at the back of some of the cars' fins? Ban those immediately for being bloody distracting.

That was good to see. Although Melbourne is an outlier in terms of circuit type and a better idea of each team's pace will be seen once we get to the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Mercedes made a complete mess of Lewis' race strategy by calling him in early, thereby gifting the race to Vettel. Vettel was marginally quicker than Hamilton, but Melbourne is difficult overtake on and even more so with evenly matched cars.

Funny that Mercedes are saying that it was not a strategic error (all they had to do was shadow Ferrari for the one pitstop) and Ferrari were waiting for the undercut, of which there was none, as the tires had so little degradation.

I heard the driver radio feed Ian and Lewis' tyres were shot. He said he couldn't keep up his pace, so if Merc need to do anything it will be to work out why Ferrari (or just Vettel) were able to keep good tyre performance for longer. So it looks like the undercut on Hamilton actually may well have been possible for Vettel.
OTOH Melbourne, as you say, has never been a good indicator of relative pace.

advertisement

Back