advertisement

Thank god i have gone SS

In Italy here.. Graaf amps into the boxes and brilliantly superseded by an A&R A60. I enjoy the sound, my lady loves the tidier room and heat generation and bills feel more under control..
I'm with you here. A souped up A60 and JR149s does it in the lounge in summer, with an ss amp in my studio. Replacing 845s and 805 monoblocks respectively

I'm with you here. A souped up A60 and JR149s does it in the lounge in summer, with an ss amp in my studio. Replacing 845s and 805 monoblocks respectively
I'm not in a similar situation here in Canada but eh, if it was mandatory for me to go back to my A&R A60 and my IMF Super Compact V1, I wouldn’t complain at all.

Out- Vincent hybrid amp- warmio.

Out-Art Audio Vinyl one valve phono stage-warmio.

In -Virtue Audio Tripath amplifier- Coolio.

Ryan sound Lab SS phono stage- Coolio.

To be fair the valve stuff does not get that hot- but in a small room you do begin to feel it after a while o_O....the SS below system does sound blooming good.:D

Last edited:
Why I own an integrated Bakoon amp.My summer amplifier although it sounds good enough to use all year in place of far hotter running and more expensive alternatives.

We knocked the lounge and living room into one so I’m lucky to have a big space downstairs. I had 4 x 211s running most of yesterday and the room stayed fairly cool. Had all the windows open mind:)

Out- Vincent hybrid amp- warmio.

Out-Art Audio Vinyl one valve phono stage-warmio.

In -Virtue Audio Tripath amplifier- Coolio.

Ryan sound Lab SS phono stage- Coolio.

To be fair the valve stuff does not get that hot- but in a small room you do begin to feel it after a while o_O....the SS below system does sound blooming good.:D
I have a Vinyl One, it was fairly coolio. I also had an AA Jota - scorchio.

What a load of tosh re air source heat pumps. Mine has run without a hiccup from -12C in winter (heating and hot water) to +35C (cooling and hot water). Not a cable thread, is this?

The opposite they work better, it's when its minus degrees they lose output

Depends if minus is Fahrenheir or Celcius. Newer ones can work well up to -15C but.... only if there is no high humidity outside.

Why I use a smallish tube amplifier you may ask?
The older analog solid state can blow on output transistor and go full rail taking the speakers with them. (don't ask...grrr....) Digital: I do not like the RF switching, no matter how much flitering they do there will be RF coming from the speaker wires. And RF affects the T-cells in the blood: T-cells have an important role in the immune system. (again: don't ask how I know...)

What a load of tosh re air source heat pumps. Mine has run without a hiccup from -12C in winter (heating and hot water) to +35C (cooling and hot water). Not a cable thread, is this?

You're arguing that because you don't have an issue than no one will have an issue?

The factors that come into play are many and various, but UK dx installs tend not to be designed for OAT in the high thirties.

If the outside unit is positioned badly the ambient temps can reach into the 70's°c and it will trip on high pressure.

You're arguing that because you don't have an issue than no one will have an issue?
Nope, just stating my real life experience. I am sure you are right re high pressure trip, though your earlier statement suggested it is a common scenario.

I wonder what is different about Aircon in hot countries, different refrigerant gas?

If the outside unit is positioned badly the ambient temps can reach into the 70's°c and it will trip on high pressure.

I lived in Manilla for a while and at lunchtime it can easily hit 50C and the air conditioners were going flat out no problem.

Don't blame the equipment if it is the wrong appliance for the task and/or if it is intalled wrongly, it's as simple as that. FWIW Even here there are many cowboys in the airconditioning industry, many have not got a clue what they are doing: If the pipes have not been vacuumpumped properly then water condensation will remain which will create problems when getting hot.

Having just returned from a fellow-pfner's wedding, I would like to listen to some music. Before we left on Sunday morning we closed all the curtains and they are still closed.

Do I cool me with the fan or the valve amps?

The valve amps win! Heat fries the the capacitors.

Outside temperature: 36 ⁰C
Inside temperature: 25 ⁰C

advertisement

Back