advertisement

Thank god i have gone SS

Mongeddavid

pfm Member
Dread to think what the temperature in my lounge would have been next week were i still using the 845 amp i have. Undoubtedly in the 50 degree mark.

When I used to own the Sugden Masterclass IA4 I had to restrict listening to either early morning or late evening and even then I had to have the patio doors open
Mac

Sat next to a Sugden MusicMaster at the moment... in the conservatory. The floor temp was 45Deg yesterday according to the underfloor heating sensor when I came in! 'tis a bit toasty!

Once whilst working for MF I inadvertently left an A370 on test giving 200WPC into a dummy load when I went for lunch....now THAT was HOT!! I'm not sure if the amp or the dummy load was hottest... I was impressed though that it took that:oops::oops:
If you had two you could have made an audiophile sandwich press :p.

Feeling Sorry for you guys in the heat at the moment, I’m south of the equator and it’s 16°, as we are in the Middle of winter. I would like to be using my QUAD II’s and bask in the warm glow of that KT66 goodness, Unfortunately, a move across two “State lines” from a major capital city to a regional town and a carless removalist has seen me one output tube short. So, the upstairs system at the moment is still my summertime naim setup (72-hicap-250).

But yes, my Turn will come, QLD Australia can get uncomfortably warm and stupidly humid in the summer so tube gear is for winter use only.

Stay cool

LPSpinner

I've turned my main system off a few weeks ago - no need to run to waste, when intervening period hasn't justified nor lent the time to enjoy.

So - my homebrew headphone amp has seen a lot of use.

It's compact, solid state, ...also Class A & presently c.24W @ idle of overkill on its own...

Dread to think what the temperature in my lounge would have been next week were i still using the 845 amp i have. Undoubtedly in the 50 degree mark.
Hopefully your SS can cope with the heat, otherwise it may blow the output transistors and take the speakers with them. Use a small tube amplifier instead, first watt is important and no need for more than 5 watts (when having efficient speakers).

I haven't experienced mid-afternoon temperatures lower than 32°C since 1st July and the forecast carries that through till 25th at least... Doing the tourist in Italy (1st-13th) with 33-37°C required some stamina and numerous bottles of water.

I used the (mostly unusable) holiday budget to have air conditioning installed last year and changed from valve phono stage and hybrid (but hot) power amp to Simaudio Moon Evolution series solid state this spring.

Now the hottest item is the pre amp with its two pairs of 12AX7 and 6922 valves.

So music as and when I feel like it heatwave or no :)

I don't think it's been over 20 degrees this summer (what summer? Lol) here in sunny Ireland but I'll take it as a blessing as I'm working 7 days a week doing renovations, refurbishment and redecorating.
My system is all packed up, has been for the past couple of months and will be for a couple more at least.
I'm quite glad I'm not in England, working in that kind of heat is brutal.

I haven’t listened to music indoors for three weeks now - it has all been through a Pi and a pair of little Genelecs on the patio.

If you can't afford to run air conditioning or you like to imagine you can control the Earth's enthalpy then an alternative way to stay cool is to rinse your shirt under a tap, wring it, and wear it. Latent heat of evaporation will do the rest, and once it's dry, do it again. Rinse, wring, wear, repeat. Unlike air-conditioning, evaporation has a noise floor below 100dB.

The summer of '76 was really hot. I thought last night's temperature was a little cold for the time of year, but energy bills must be justified.

Just a tad of overreaction, methinks. Where I live on Tenerife midday temps are over 25 all year round. My Sugden A21se is now 14 years old (?) and so far so good although I did fit taller feet with more shelf separation so it could suck more air in to aid convection, it does get bloody hot but it is made to and I doubt 10 degrees more or less will affect it. Of course Brit houses are built not to lose heat whereas here floors and columns are concrete and walls are breeze block built. Thank god for the Trade winds.

advertisement

Back