advertisement

Teddy Pardo i80a Owners Thread

For the last four weeks or so I've been getting by with just my Marantz NR1504 for amplification as I damaged my TP i80a amp by accidentally shorting the left speaker cable when the connectors dropped down behind my blu ray player. Whether they shorted against the metal case or made contact with an Input or Output terminal I don't know, but because the amp was on, I damaged the power supply in one way or another which resulted in a continuous crackly sound coming from the left channel.

I emailed Teddy to see if he could troubleshoot from afar and after it became clear the issue almost certainly lay with the power supply he suggested I return it for repair. Although stupidity isn't normally covered by manufacturer warranty, Teddy said if I ship the amp to him he'd repair and return it to me at his expense. I was gobsmacked as you can probably imagine and mighty relieved because my pennies were in short supply... and a week or so after arriving in Israel I'm pleased to say the amp is back in Glasgow where she belongs and sounding sweet as ever :D

Oh, and Teddy also changed the Variable Output to a Fixed Output at my request too - first class and supererogatory service by any standard (thanks Teddy)!

As an aside, my AVR was adequate - not great, but good enough - when it came to handling music from my DAC but oh my goodness, it failed miserably when I tried playing records as there was no cohesion whatsoever; so much so in fact I've not played a record for almost four weeks including my brand new copy of Black Star, which has been sitting idly in a corner for a few weeks now.

That really is service, I bet you're over the moon. I'm trying to resist pressing the trigger on a DAC-VC....

Yeah Teddy's offer was more than fair to say the least. I'm presently playing the Aynsely Dunbar Retaliation's eponymous album - the first record I've played in weeks - and what difference compared to the awful racket my AVR made when I played it, when I tried to play it a few weeks ago.

No matter what else comes and goes in the future I'm pretty sure my amp will remain the heart of everything for years to come... as long as I remember to be careful when unplugging cables of course :)

Why are you resiting?

I'm a bit slow at spending money! I don't need it, I'm very happy with what I've got but I'd love to hear it and trim up the space in my little cupboard. I'm thinking that maybe the PR1 could go and I'd just be streamer, DAC-VC, power amps. Maybe in a few months, after the summer hols.

That sounds like a great position to be in. One of my mates is super slow at buying stuff and such like; for example he bought a Mana wall shelf to put his LP12 on 3 years ago and it's still in the box lol. At least if you're fairly happy with things as they are that's a big plus!

Yeah Teddy's offer was more than fair to say the least. I'm presently playing the Aynsely Dunbar Retaliation's eponymous album - the first record I've played in weeks - and what difference compared to the awful racket my AVR made when I played it, when I tried to play it a few weeks ago.

No matter what else comes and goes in the future I'm pretty sure my amp will remain the heart of everything for years to come... as long as I remember to be careful when unplugging cables of course :)

Why are you resiting?

Whilst this off topic you mentioned AVR I find the Marantz NR1607 is a excellent pre-pro for surround sound.

Whilst this off topic you mentioned AVR I find the Marantz NR1607 is a excellent pre-pro for surround sound.

My Marantz wasn't too bad with digital playback either, but it fell down completely when it came to playing analogue from my phono stage. For such a slim-profile box however, these AVRs really do work wonders with digital content - especially for the price. I couldn't and wouldn't use it on its own voluntarily, but as an emergency amp, it was an audio-enjoyment life saver.

For the last four weeks or so I've been getting by with just my Marantz NR1504 for amplification as I damaged my TP i80a amp by accidentally shorting the left speaker cable when the connectors dropped down behind my blu ray player. Whether they shorted against the metal case or made contact with an Input or Output terminal I don't know, but because the amp was on, I damaged the power supply in one way or another which resulted in a continuous crackly sound coming from the left channel.

I emailed Teddy to see if he could troubleshoot from afar and after it became clear the issue almost certainly lay with the power supply he suggested I return it for repair. Although stupidity isn't normally covered by manufacturer warranty, Teddy said if I ship the amp to him he'd repair and return it to me at his expense. I was gobsmacked as you can probably imagine and mighty relieved because my pennies were in short supply... and a week or so after arriving in Israel I'm pleased to say the amp is back in Glasgow where she belongs and sounding sweet as ever :D

Oh, and Teddy also changed the Variable Output to a Fixed Output at my request too - first class and supererogatory service by any standard (thanks Teddy)!

As an aside, my AVR was adequate - not great, but good enough - when it came to handling music from my DAC but oh my goodness, it failed miserably when I tried playing records as there was no cohesion whatsoever; so much so in fact I've not played a record for almost four weeks including my brand new copy of Black Star, which has been sitting idly in a corner for a few weeks now.

I find it heartening to read such a missive. I am also lucky enough to own Teddy equipment & it is excellent in all respects. That the manufacturer is big enough to help out one of his clients in his moment of need speaks volumes about the man. Its nothing to do with the money just the ability to put out his hand offering assistance whilst seeking no reward.

I take my hat off to you Mr Pardo, you fly high in my estimation.

Impressed of Baldock.

I bought tp speakers about 2yrs ago the very first prototype teddy used in audio shows, front vented. Albeit it was used I got a very nice discounted price. Price of the Seas drivers and crossover components were very transparent from the net and therefore was really happy with the bargain.

3 weeks later Teddy told me he was refunding USD 300 to my credit card as he had miscalculated the cost of the prototype speakers. Fact.that he didn't have too and I was a happy buyer already...

Onwards 3 months later, the woofers started peeling due to the highly humid weather here in Singapore. Teddy arranged for Seas to get the same driver brand new which had special coating for humid environment. Sent to me FOC, I didn't have to return the old drivers..No problems since then...

Absolute top guy to deal with..

I agree this is exceptional service from TP if I needed a new amp, I would certainly try out the 180A despite my concerns with JFETS.

Hopefully you won't need to if you're satisfied with your current amp, but I hope you'll be convincingly satisfied if decide to give one a go just as I am with mine :)

I would certainly try out the 180A despite my concerns with JFETS.

Jfets can sound horrible but they can also sound sublime, if used correctly. One of the biggest challenges is parameter variation between transistors, even from the same manufacturing batch. In order to achieve good results the transistors have to be selected, then each amplifier needs to be measured and fine tuned. This procedure is not suitable for large scale manufacturing, especially when the goal is profit maximization.

BTW, the name is i80a not 180a... "i" for integrated, "80" for 80W RMS per channel, and "a" for analogue... for lack of better name ;)

I find it heartening to read such a missive. I am also lucky enough to own Teddy equipment & it is excellent in all respects. That the manufacturer is big enough to help out one of his clients in his moment of need speaks volumes about the man. Its nothing to do with the money just the ability to put out his hand offering assistance whilst seeking no reward.

I take my hat off to you Mr Pardo, you fly high in my estimation.

Impressed of Baldock.

Yes, completely agree.

I am now fully Teddied and some of the products I bought were not far off pre-production units so Teddy, being Teddy, always insisted that he upgraded and tweaked the units to bring them up to current spec.

I can't speak highly enough of Teddy for service, no bullshit advice, amazing products and most of all an incredibly, very like-able man.:)

Whether it was the deprivation of not having my amp for a few weeks (and thereby having to get by with just the wattage of an otherwise average AVR to drive my speakers) or Teddy sprinkled some magic rainbow dust in the amp when it was in Israel I don't know, but the difference between the ability of my AVR to do justice to records versus that of my TP amp is incomprehensibly huge to say the least.

Four records down the line and the amp has delivered every time; thanks again Teddy :)

Hello, Does anyone here have any experience with the combination of ATC speakers (or specific the SCM19 ) with the teddy pardo I80A integrated amp? I own of these speakers at the moment, like them a lot but are searching for some time for a good (for me: powerful, yet tonally rich) amp match. Naim SN2 is an option, heard that combi before, but also intruiged by the TP I80A. Experiences appreciated!

advertisement

Back