advertisement

Technology you thought you didn't need

We have a friend who irons sheets!

we know someone who sends out their washing to be ironed!! Including all their undergarments - i mean who wears undergarments in this day and ago - let along having them ironed....

Adaptive cruise control, thought it was daft so never bothered setting it up on my wife’s golf...
I gave up on that after setting it on a quiet motorway, sitting back and listening to the music. After around fifteen minutes I realised progress was a little slow, then saw I was tootling along at 60 because the ACC was tracking the car about 100m in front - the only other car in sight.

Adaptive cruise control, thought it was daft so never bothered setting it up on my wife’s golf, got stuck in traffic and bored for. An hour so gave it a try and it’s so much easier to stick to speed limits now and I can tap both feet to the music

automatic gear box, why do people still drive manual, ours is DST so we have the choice but never go off auto

thinking of caving in and buying a rice cooker, I hate gadgets but I just can’t get rice consistently right so May have to succumb

Amen to adaptive cruise control and an autobox. I'm never having another manual car, unless it's a Caterham or Lotus for the weekends, so doubtful. I changed company recently and went from a Skoda Superb Estate to an Audi A4 Estate. The Audi is slightly smaller but is nicer to drive and a bit nicer inside, but only has traditional cruise control. If someone offered a swap back to the Superb I might well do it for the adaptive cruise control. Nearly 4 months in and I still miss it everday on my drive in to London.

I tend not to be an early adopter and research things for a while. I recently got a Raspberry Pi to enable hi-rez streaming, boy I should have done that long ago. The rest of the family have had active ear buds for ages, I got some yesterday, they are a revelation.

Cheers BB

we know someone who sends out their washing to be ironed!! Including all their undergarments - i mean who wears undergarments in this day and ago - let along having them ironed....
Give it all to Oxfam instead then buy it back a week later washed and ironed.
Much cheaper…

The Apple Watch. Now that I have one, I find it more than useful (being a scatterbrain now and because I have medications). Plus it monitors my activities – I have bad back issues.
Am a bit lost when I forget the charging cord :mad:

I never thought wireless charging was a useful thing. But I discovered my phone can be used as a charger. When we were away recently I used the phone to charge my watch......cool

I never thought wireless charging was a useful thing. But I discovered my phone can be used as a charger. When we were away recently I used the phone to charge my watch......cool
Cool. Pity Apple haven’t implemented that. :mad: You also need two separate wireless charging pads.

Digital cameras. I stuck with film for a few years but now my film cameras are long gone. With a decent printer and lightroom or another processing package, you can get excellent quality prints. Though to be honest, much of my output remains online only.

Another slow to adopt a streamer. Now rip all my CDs or buy downloads from Bandcamp and listen to music this way all controlled by the Naim App. Still play vinyl but the Martantz CD10 is sat in the box waiting to be sold, once I get around to it.

Here’s one that I did not know we needed, that is until we really needed it: robotic surgery.

It has been a scary few months for us. Mrs. Hook was diagnosed with uterine cancer. Fortunately, her surgery last week was a complete success, and just moments ago, we received the wonderful news that her pathology was negative (i.e., the cancer had not spread). This is now officially the best day of our lives! :)

Anyway, if this had been 10-15 years ago, Mrs. Hook would have no alternative other than abdominal surgery. That’s a week in the hospital and six months of hard, grinding recovery. Instead, thanks to a rock star surgeon using Mr. Robot’s console, we were home same day! Six days on from surgery, Mrs. Hook’s biggest caution right now is not overdoing it and ripping a suture.

Scary looking thing, no?

C9460094-88-D2-4-E6-B-A1-E8-DD81369-DEAFF.jpg

https://www.davincisurgery.com/proc...oWHZvW6giVO_wS0shQuI1syK1DxwNODsaApDeEALw_wcB

Adaptive cruise control, thought it was daft so never bothered setting it up on my wife’s golf, got stuck in traffic and bored for. An hour so gave it a try and it’s so much easier to stick to speed limits now and I can tap both feet to the music
I had a rental once with adaptive cruise. I suppose it's fine if you're a lazy driver and cannot be bothered to read traffic conditions. I prefer regular cruise control.

automatic gear box, why do people still drive manual, ours is DST so we have the choice but never go off auto
It's 50/50 for me. I like rowing my own gears and feeling like I have control over how my car drives. But in heavy traffic, it's a royal PITA. Thankfully, 99.9% of the time I don't have that problem.

That being said, my next car is more likely to be automatic. They don't make EVs with manual transmissions, do they?

Another yes to adaptive cruise control here.. I have a big Crafter Van with an auto box and a three hour drive is bliss.

just set the speed and steer. It’s fabulous being auto - no changing gear and it works until you stop, taking you from 0-70 safely.

The only thing I wish it would do is change lanes to maintain the speed rather than slow down to the car in front - but that’s autonomous driving I suppose, but it can’t come soon enough. I would like ACC to be compulsory on the motorway and the speed set at the max for all cars.. would be safe and increase journey times a lot.

It’s amazing on a smart motorway being surrounded by a lot of modern cars… it’s obvious they are all using ACC as they’re all coasting along at 50 in a 50, 40 in a 40 etc… it works.

Expensive NICAM stereo decoder for TV in the late nineties, c/with the longest Ron Smith aerial and Fringe Electronics mast amplifier. Still got it all in my loft. Can't remember what happened to transmissions but this gear was effectively rendered bypassed by technology not long after.

Bought car in Sept. 2009. Have yet to try a CD on the CD/radio. Not technology; just me. I keep thinking to try it but immediately forget.

I’ve stuck to manual but going from five to six gears is taking some adapting to. Manuals cost hundreds to fix, autos, thousands. If the right car had been auto I suspect I would have succumbed. Yet to try the adaptive CC: it’s plenty hilly and twisty here with little dual carriageway.

Yes to the above - same goes for electric shaver (for me) I know that loads of people won’t give up the blade!

Yes to the above - same goes for electric shaver (for me) I know that loads of people won’t give up the blade!
For shaving, electric is more convenient (if you've remembered to charge the thing), but the result isn't as good as with a straight razor. It's all about priorities. Or you can just grow a beard.

advertisement

Back