advertisement

Technology you thought you didn't need

I’ve had a few iPads, the addition of the Magic keyboard to the Pro 11 makes it much more accessible and easy to use.

I’ve an 11” iPad Pro M1 couldn’t be bothered trying to type on it with anything or lugging about another thing that’s just as heavy as the iPad and half the price So I bought an MacBook Air M1 which is perfect with the iPad Pro ie two screens opened at the same time and switching between apps and typing on the MacBook the MacBook Air is about the same weight as the magic keyboard.

I see where your coming from and if i was always using it with the keyboard I’d have done the same.

Apple Watch, didn’t buy one as I was sceptical.

Son bought me one for Christmas, with it’s cell connectivity and using Apple Pay, don’t need to carry my iPhone any more, no phone to lose or get stolen. All mail, messages etc available on watch.

Gary

The interwebby thingy and wifi, which most of us take for granted. It's not until you travel overseas, forget to get roaming data, that you suddenly realise how much our lives revolve around the internet.

Some gizmo on my car that grabs the wheel when it thinks I’m not on the right part of the road.

Another that lets out an ear-piercing, distracting shriek if it thinks you are about to hit something and haven’t applied the brake because you are snoozing. This usually happens a split-second after you have started to move your foot, thus taking your mind off the pressing matter in hand (braking), sometimes when the obstacle is turning left and already 95% out of the way, and occasionally when you are passing a stationary car in the next lane.

In both cases I was right, I didn’t need them.

Can't see me getting a smartphone; doubt I'd be able to use it properly and honestly can't see what advantage it affords when I have a desktop, camera and landline. Can't type on this keyboard with any degree of accuracy so no idea how I'd manage an iphone keypad.

I've gone the other way with some things. I had a tablet for quite a while but always found it a bit annoying to position and hold, plus I was always flattening the battery so it ended up plugged in most of the time so the convenience of it being a portable device was rendered useless. Swapped it for a laptop and it is a million times more useful, plus it has a proper keyboard and operating system.

Still have a desktop but only because it is left over from a few years back and has the remnants of a gaming system in it that is no longer used. It's connected to a 1080p monitor that is better for watching longer format stuff on so if I ever want to watch something longer than the odd YT video I will go and fire it up and watch it on that.

I guess the main thing I don't have is any sort of proper TV set up or home cinema thingy, I've never had one as an adult except for brief periods when I thought it was something I should have but it never got switched on so they got sold.

Garmin 5s watch. Bought it for kayaking. All sorts of uses but the most useful I found was in open water as it would indicate when you were in some current you couldn’t see. Because you know your normal pace in minutes per mile any variation would indicate current quite sensitively. I once massively misread a tide time table. Up to Truro from Falmouth on the incoming tide then back on the outgoing was the plan. Within 200 yds I realised what should have been a nifty 10/12 minutes per mile was actually a sluggish 20+ :)
The s stands for small. Unless you have a wrist like a tree trunk the macho models make you look a twerp, only admiration will come from other tweeps.

My bit of technology I didn't know I needed is the swivelly timer bezel on my Casio diving watch.

Pizza in the oven, swivel swivel, easy!

...though it is bloomin' enormous - @MUTTY1 might not approve ;-)

Some gizmo on my car that grabs the wheel when it thinks I’m not on the right part of the road.

Another that lets out an ear-piercing, distracting shriek if it thinks you are about to hit something and haven’t applied the brake because you are snoozing. This usually happens a split-second after you have started to move your foot, thus taking your mind off the pressing matter in hand (braking), sometimes when the obstacle is turning left and already 95% out of the way, and occasionally when you are passing a stationary car in the next lane.

In both cases I was right, I didn’t need them.

I don’t mind as long as I have the option to toggle them. A Volvo I tried recently flashed a red light and screamed at me because it thought I was too close to a stationary car I was passing… that’s nannying. On the same test drive a discrete light with no sound warned me a car passing me was In a blind spot…. That’s useful.
Oddly, the car I finally bought had neither but does tell me if my tyres are under-inflated. That is useful.

24K8gZv.jpg

2000 volts up them. Also inexpensive Martin Logan substitutes- just add cling film and your favourite tunes.

Adaptive cruise control, thought it was daft so never bothered setting it up on my wife’s golf, got stuck in traffic and bored for. An hour so gave it a try and it’s so much easier to stick to speed limits now and I can tap both feet to the music

automatic gear box, why do people still drive manual, ours is DST so we have the choice but never go off auto

thinking of caving in and buying a rice cooker, I hate gadgets but I just can’t get rice consistently right so May have to succumb

automatic gear box, why do people still drive manual, ours is DST so we have the choice but never go off auto

^^^ PDK changes quicker and better than i ever could in a manual. My left ankle is so badly damaged now, that i cannot drive a manual if i wanted to......

Until I got married, an iron, a hoover, a washing machine, washing up liquid, even thought hot water was overrated. I did need electricity though to play music.

PS I hate modern cars.

PPS Perfect rice you can cook on camping gas. You can have my rice cooker, we were given it and it’s been used once.

Autopark. I had this feature on my last car. Never ever used it. I have it on my latest car. Never used it. I just don't dare. Maybe I need to find an empty supermarket car park and give it a go sometime. Or will an empty car park confuse it?

We have both, but both have sat unused in the cupboard for as long as I can remember. We have a friend who irons sheets!

advertisement

Back