advertisement

Technology you thought you didn't need

folding phone - waiting to see if the Z Fold 4 will be worth buying......
I've seen a few of those in the wild. The ugly crease running down the centre of the screen makes is a non-starter for me, though I can see the concept being useful in some specific situations.

I had a rental once with adaptive cruise. I suppose it's fine if you're a lazy driver and cannot be bothered to read traffic conditions. I prefer regular cruise control.

It's 50/50 for me. I like rowing my own gears and feeling like I have control over how my car drives. But in heavy traffic, it's a royal PITA. Thankfully, 99.9% of the time I don't have that problem.

That being said, my next car is more likely to be automatic. They don't make EVs with manual transmissions, do they?
I was thinking the same, until I had it, along with 'semi autonomous' driving.
Sat on the M25 with constant stop start, 40, 30, 23mph etc - found myself thinking what a bloody brilliant thing to have.

Had an auto box on my last truck (needed a new hip at the time, so was exceedingly useful) - they have moved on from the old 3-4 speed slush boxes by a huge margin. 8 gears in the new motor, imperceptable changes (unles in 'sport') and can change gears a hell of a lot faster than I was ever able to. It does has flappy paddles on the steering wheel, though yet to find out what to do with them :)

Never going back to a manual unless absolutely have to.
Somewhat unlikely given the EV revolution.

A laser level, I mean, what pssible use could one be in general DIY.
Made my life so much easier in the last 5 years.
From paper hanging, setting out door handles and light switches, garden layout, the list goes on.

Impact driver - I mean, the old faithful 'Yankee' pump action screwdriver will last forever - no?
Best not talk about those things with bits of 3 core wire trailing behind them with a 3 pin plug on them.

I've seen a few of those in the wild. The ugly crease running down the centre of the screen makes is a non-starter for me, though I can see the concept being useful in some specific situations.

not the Z Fold 4 - not yet released, possibly announced at Samsung Unpacked today.

I recently had an extensive play (2 weeks) with the Z Fold 3 (last years model), and the crease was hardly noticeable. What put me off was the rubbish camera.

We have both, but both have sat unused in the cupboard for as long as I can remember. We have a friend who irons sheets!

I thought everything went drip dry in the seventies?

I do iron a collar if i'm going to wear a tie, probably once every five years.

advertisement

Back