advertisement

Technics SL1200g arm height query

JoeJoe

pfm Member
I prefer the sound of the stock rubber mat to any other after-market mat I’ve bought but there’s an issue; it’s too low for my Goldring G1042 cartridge. It’s only out by a couple of mm or so but impossible to get the arm perfectly parallel, even with the height adjustment ring just below 0, right at its end-stop.

I’m also using the stock headshell that came with the 1200g.

I’m asking if anyone can recommend a good headshell that’s more accommodating than the Technics that would give me that few coveted mm I need for the G1042?
Or, I think I read somewhere, that Technics themselves produced a thicker version of their rubber mat, does anyone know if it’s still available or what the Technics line code for it was?

I have seen a few threads here and there about this arm-height issue with the Technics on certain cartridges but never took any notice until now…..

A quick fix to keep you going…

Place a cheap aftermarket mat under your preferred mat. This will provide the critical few mm needed for your cartridge - and adds a bit more flywheel mass to the platter.

FWIW, I have run this way on our hot-rodded LP12 for two decades, with the BOSTON CARBON MAT sitting on top - providing our best interface to the LP.

Works like a charm, and provides a great opportunity to experiment with sub-mat combinations!

Last edited:
I think his issue is the opposite of your proposed solution. Sounds like his problem is that he can’t get the arm base low enough for the arm tube to be parallel with the record. A thicker mat would make the problem worse. The zero setting on the newer 1200’s equate to a 17mm cartridge height which changed from 15mm for the Mk2.

An appropriate shim between the headshell and cartridge would be a possible solution. Do you know the height of the G1042?
If he can't get the arm tube parallel with the record because the arm won't go any lower at the back then either a headshell spacer or a thicker mat will work.

A Google reveals that a vinylengine contributor measured his G1042 at 17mm unloaded. Depending upon sample variability as well as static compliance, this could be a mm or two less, especially so when under VTF.

If he can't get the arm tube parallel with the record because the arm won't go any lower at the back then either a headshell spacer or a thicker mat will work.

A Google reveals that a vinylengine contributor measured his G1042 at 17mm unloaded. Depending upon sample variability as well as static compliance, this could be a mm or two less, especially so when under VTF.

….the thicker cork mat I own works…I just don’t like the sound of it as much as the stock Technics rubber one. I think solution lies with a headshell spacer for now…

(my findings on better sound from the rubber mat comes from a previous Denon cartridge that ran perfectly parallel on the stock mat at 0 setting on the arm height)

The earlier 1200 tables came with a thicker mat. It's out of production but sometimes you can find used ones or if you are lucky, an NOS one. I really don't know why they don't make these anymore.

The stock number is RGS0010A.

The earlier 1200 tables came with a thicker mat. It's out of production but sometimes you can find used ones or if you are lucky, an NOS one. I really don't know why they don't make these anymore.

The stock number is RGS0010A.

This is the answer , keep your eyes peeled on ebay .

The 1042 is worth the trouble -you've run into the only issue with the new Technics arms that really bugs me -the change in the arm height adjustment range.This nicely accommodates my Ortofon Quintet Black S - and requires a headshell shim to work with my Decca Londons ,Denon DL-103 series carts and a few more . I own a bunch of headshell shims since a couple of my favorite turntables do not offer adjustable pivot height. The thicker matts are handy for these new Techie arms-hint to Technics-time to bring that product back.

Assuming Technics had put any thought into these changes, I would suspect that their lowest (i.e. default '0') arm setting suits Ortofon DJ models straight out of the box.

Ortofon doesn't list full dimensions for their Concorde DJ models, however, none of their Hi-Fi models are less than 18mm unloaded height, with OM and Super OM being 18mm, indicating that OM Pro S and Q.Bert are likely to be the same.

Seems to be a Technics issue. I’m using three mats on the 1200 mk2 to get the SRA where I want it.

I use the Oyaide BR-12 Mat and the Oyaide carbon headshell with my SL-1210G. A level tone arm doesnt always mean a perfect SRA. In fact for a number of carts I've found a slight nose dive was best. There is always going to be a tollarance, thick Vs thin records, minor warps will absorb your couple mm.

JohnyT…..I’ve wound the tracking weight back by .1g to compensate for the “nose dive”, just to be on the safe side. I wonder if there’s a mathematical calculation for every 1degree out to dial out the counterweight?……

advertisement

Back