advertisement

Technics SL1200g arm height query

Just wanted you to know that I sorted this problem with the original ‘thicker’ Technics rubber mat bought off eBay, second hand.
Worth every penny and, as much as I adore my 1200g, I feel it’s the only failing. Why on earth Technics don’t offer a thicker mat as an after-market option is beyond me as so many owners have this issue?……I couldn’t even get my arm parallel wound as far as it would go below the ‘zero’ marker….and all with their own headshell too!!…which is a thing of excellence.

It feels like technics are producing a crossover audiophile/D.J. turntables but not making an allowance for non-D.J. cartridges with the tone-arm height adjustment facility.
Even with a 6mm platter mat I need to add some spacers to the headshell for some of the cartridges that I want to use.

It is a bit odd. On my SL1200 I just measured my mat arrangement and that gives 8mm, barely but just enough for a DV xx2. Given how easy it is to adjust the arm within it's limits you'd think they'd have addressed this.

I just looked at the 1200G owner’s manual and it looks like the tonearm accommodates phono cartridges with a height between 17-23 millimeters by using the height control ring which has a scale of 0-6.

I pretty sure the SL-1200 Mk2 accommodates a 15mm height phono cartridge with the height scale at zero. This makes me think the MK-2 uses a 2mm thicker mat than the 1200G or GR.

The 1200MK2 accommodates 15-21mm height cartridges.

For example the Linn MC cartridges I have are 15mm tall, the AT VM-95E I have is 17.2mm.

I just looked at the 1200G owner’s manual and it look like the tonearm accommodates phono cartridges with a height between 17-23 millimeters by using the height control ring which has a scale of 0-6.

It does say that.
In reality, even with the arm height control ring turned to -0 it still doesn’t accommodate the carts. I want to use with the supplied platter mat. Ortofon and Audio-Technica carts.

When I want a day of angst and swearing I will make some cartridge spacers. In the build up to that I am stacking platter mats to get the tone-arm parallel to the record.

The frustration with that is that it doesn’t allow much spindle left for my custom record weight (not clamp)

It does say that.
In reality, even with the arm height control ring turned to -0 it still doesn’t accommodate the carts. I want to use with the supplied platter mat. Ortofon and Audio-Technica carts.

When I want a day of angst and swearing I will make some cartridge spacers. In the build up to that I am stacking platter mats to get the tone-arm parallel to the record.

The frustration with that is that it doesn’t allow much spindle left for my custom record weight (not clamp)
That would be frustrating! Cartridge spacers look like the best solution for your predicament. There must be a good amount of phono cartridges out there where their height is less than 17mm. It doesn’t seem to be a spec that’s published for a lot of cartridges.

According to the manual 1200G stock mat stock headshell. Zero on the dial = 17mm cart (top to stylus tip).

I’m not OCD about VTA, 1mm shift = 1/4 of a degree. I prefer to change mat thickness to using spacers.

Finding height info is a bit of a pain but can usually be found with a bit of google fu.

AT brochure has loads of good info
https://distribution.audio-technica...ridges_19_ENG_L00092_V1.0-240x317mm-WEB-1.pdf

These AT are all 17.2mm. Ortofon and Dynavector are almost all 18mm upwards.

Note: I have a brain injury and don’t see things that are obvious to others.

I don’t understand how to buy them. I click on the shims and an image comes up but I don’t see how to buy stuff.

http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/technics-headshell-spacers.jpg

great, but not obvious what to do
Website is a bit pants, you have to email him what you want to buy [email protected]

Cartridge headshell shims supplied are: 1mm, 2mm, 3mm and 4mm plastic shim to space your cartridge.
Ideal with very thin cartridges on technics arms etc, (comes in black or silver plastic, please let me know what colour)
Price = £5 plus postage – £2 UK or £4 worldwide​

Website is a bit pants, you have to email him what you want to buy [email protected]

Cartridge headshell shims supplied are: 1mm, 2mm, 3mm and 4mm plastic shim to space your cartridge.
Ideal with very thin cartridges on technics arms etc, (comes in black or silver plastic, please let me know what colour)
Price = £5 plus postage – £2 UK or £4 worldwide​

what a pain in the arse.

@Amber Audio Do you get a selection of shims? like the image? Four bits of different thicknesses?

what a pain in the arse.

@Amber Audio Do you get a selection of shims? like the image? Four bits of different thicknesses?
No I’ve never bothered shimming, think I have a phobia or something, don’t like the idea of the shell and cart top not marrying :)

I have loads of shells and mats to choose from and my preferred carts are 18mm, so always managed to get to a happy medium, as I mentioned absolutely spot on VTA isn’t something I lose too much sleep over. I have an AT33PTG on the 1200GR at present which is 17.2mm, I use a 6mm or 5mm mat.

ATB
Gus

advertisement

Back