advertisement

Technics SL-1200MK2 bought on a whim!

Stripping down any arm will be a first for me! Is it fairly straightforward on a Technics? It's nice to have a selection of S shaped tubes.

Does everyone agree with me at least that the only thing causing me grief with this arm is that little bend in the S shaped tube highlighted in my photos (assuming it's not shaped like that on purpose)? Yes the counterweight is a tad drooped so to speak - but that should have no affect on the arm as a whole.

I'm itching to give this thing a spin but - of course - it's not yet fit to play a record properly. Everything else seems to work just fine - I just have this little kink to fix.

From memory (I rebuilt mine about 6 years ago now) stripping the arm down is fairly straightforward, providing you have any mechanical/tinkering (not bodging!) inclination. Routing the headshell wires back through the bearing housing was fiddly.

I was also concerned that the impact which had bent the arm previously, may have damaged the bearings. So I removed, repolished, and re-set all of the clearances, which was fairly time-consuming.

If you don't fancy a little project, then fitting a replacement is probably the safest bet; Jelco, Rega or the original Technics.

The counterweight stub being bent won't do much, unless it were to drop off altogether whilst playing = potential damage to the cartridge. The same is obviously true of the arm tube if it were to suddenly drop off!

Other effects of the arm tube being bent would be:
- incorrect azimuth, which you could correct with a non-Technics headshell
- incorrect VTA, which you can adjust easily on the Technics
- and very marginal change to the effective length of the arm which would introduce some further tracking error, but there is probably enough adjustment in the headshell slots to correct the cartridge alignment, so no biggie
- A bend/dent/kink will alter the resonance of the arm slightly, a non-issue here though, I think

So if the counterweight stub and arm tube are bent, but not loose or going anywhere, then the bearings would be my biggest concern.

You don't need to pull all the wiring out if your just removing the arm tube?

Hey Jag, do you remember the DL301 and Sumiko headshell I bought from you years ago? I still have it and it's still going strong. What a good buy that was. Cheers matey and let's hope we all have a good 2020.

You don't need to pull all the wiring out if your just removing the arm tube?

Hey Jag, do you remember the DL301 and Sumiko headshell I bought from you years ago? I still have it and it's still going strong. What a good buy that was. Cheers matey and let's hope we all have a good 2020.

Hi Chops - That's very true, you don't need to remove the arm tube wires if you desolder the headshell connector. Think I'd just made the decision to rewire the whole arm at the time :)

I did have a DL-103 which I sold and Sumiko headshell - was the cartridge nude? Anyway, if that's them, glad you're still enjoying them!

Here's a pic of one of my 1210's arms - the deck is in my DJ set up and the image was awkward to take but perhaps it might be helpful.

49344389448_b53a903d8c_c.jpg

Given the arm tube and counterweight is bent it is 100% safe to assume the arm bearings are trashed. Basically that arm is a right-off. Remove it, bin it, find an alternative. Whilst you are there, given the abuse the arm has had, it is similarly safe to assume the main turntable bearing is damaged too. Thankfully they are a very cheap replacement part (about £20 IIRC), and the beauty of a direct drive deck is that is the only moving part. That done and with a decent new arm, Technics, Rega or whatever it should be sonically just as good as a new one.

Thanks - I will attempt myself (there are some YouTube vids to follow) to check it out and service it.

I have done a lot of work on my two technics. Dual Power supplies/ Split PCB and sub regulator modules for specific parts of the cct. Heavily modified bearing running in oil. Carbon fibre arms and quite a few other minor tweaks. I have been unable to buy new techie bearings in the UK for the last year. I was told by my supplier that after technics introduced their new models spares for the old 1200 series were gradually withdrawn. Secondhand bearings are available on Ebay but be wary.
The most likely damage that can be done to a standard bearing would be the possibility of a heavy weight falling on it or excess force being applied. This could result in the thin metal base getting bent. Its only held in place by two screws. If you think you have a problem in that area I have some good bases here and would be pleased to send you one.
If anyone knows where I can buy brand new techie bearings please let me know.

I have done a lot of work on my two technics. Dual Power supplies/ Split PCB and sub regulator modules for specific parts of the cct. Heavily modified bearing running in oil. Carbon fibre arms and quite a few other minor tweaks. I have been unable to buy new techie bearings in the UK for the last year. I was told by my supplier that after technics introduced their new models spares for the old 1200 series were gradually withdrawn. Secondhand bearings are available on Ebay but be wary.
The most likely damage that can be done to a standard bearing would be the possibility of a heavy weight falling on it or excess force being applied. This could result in the thin metal base getting bent. Its only held in place by two screws. If you think you have a problem in that area I have some good bases here and would be pleased to send you one.
If anyone knows where I can buy brand new techie bearings please let me know.

Sorry late in reading this - I've still not fully investigated the problem so, more than likely I will be needing one. When you say thin metal base - what part is that exactly? The only thin part of the arm I can think of is the arm tube itself.

I beleive Ian is referring to the bearing plate. I replaced mine last year with the KAB delrin plate and wax mod. It was definitely worth doing. It brought more solidity to the sound and an improvement all round.

Had to buy a cheap hairdryer tho', to warm the wax (think cropped not bald. lol)

advertisement

Back