advertisement

Technics SL-1200MK2 bought on a whim!

Looks good, but do check that the arm and bearings are OK. Virtually all parts for these decks are freely available at modest cost, so even if the arm need attention it won’t cost a fortune.

Looks good, but do check that the arm and bearings are OK. Virtually all parts for these decks are freely available at modest cost, so even if the arm need attention it won’t cost a fortune.

Hmmm - first look at the side profile of the arm, I'm not sure if the arm should have a gap shown where the arrow is ...

It's also not horizontal with the platter.

Just had a look at one of my arms and the gap is equal top and bottom , it looks like yours is bent ,
Don't fret to much as it only holds the weight for setting the tracking force depending on the cartridge you are using , You could try bending it back ( as a last resort )
Did it come with a platter mat ?

Just had a look at one of my arms and the gap is equal top and bottom , it looks like yours is bent ,
Don't fret to much as it only holds the weight for setting the tracking force depending on the cartridge you are using , You could try bending it back ( as a last resort )

Thanks for that reassurance - no platter mat I'm afraid, so I will no doubt need one to complete the picture (as well as a cartridge of course).

Sorry AuduioAI - can I bother you again when comparing your turntable. I am fiddling with the arm trying to get it completely level and failing. Not sure what I am doing wrong! Here's a picture of the arm with the height setting set to zero..

The first picture shows that I can only get the arm level (to the eye) with the height set to zero and even then I had to put an iPhone on the platter to raise the end and make it level! The second picture show the zero height setting... and the last picture shows how far the arm drops on setting zero when away from the platter...

Also remember you don't have a platter mat on the platter as this will raise the arm / cartridge when it is on
, Also the thickness of the LP needs to be taken into account ;)

Last edited:
The more I look at the pictures, the more I get to think that that arm is seriously damaged. It is terribly bent. Unless the camera is distorted, which seems unlikely

I can't tell for sure if your arm is bent or not. But don't forget the original rubber mat is quite thick, about 6 mm or more, so the '0' setting should be taken into account accordingly. Replacement arms or the arm tube itself can be sourced pretty easily but it's a question of whether you want to spend the money given that you picked this table up on a whim. You could of course put another arm on it. There are many users who prefer other arms although personally I am happy using the standard Technics one.

Aside from the arm, the table looks cosmetically pretty decent so it's a good indication that it has not had a rough life. DJ abused ones normally will have plenty of nicks on the plinth and wear and marks in the area near the pitch slider where your hand rests for cueing.

The good thing is that these tables can be easily restored if you are willing to spend a bit of money (not a lot since spares can still be found at reasonable cost).

That arm is bent to buggery, the stub is hanging off, no doubt the rest of it is similarly well cared for. You might want to consider whether it's worth fettling or cheaper in the long run to find another

advertisement

Back