advertisement

Technics SL-1200MK2 bought on a whim!

beammeup

pfm Member
Yesterday, I went up to Nottingham to celebrate my daughters graduation and while browsing the shops in the city I ended up buying a 'reduced' Technics SL-1200MK2, some marks on the casework - one leg missing - but powers on and works - £120 - was that a good or bad move?

I know they are supposed to be a decent TT. I think members here prefer Linn, Thorens and Garrards but... I thought I would give this one a 'spin'.

I already ordered the missing foot from eBay at least.

I own one the same and they are an excellent turntable, bargain price if the bearing and arm are ok
I notice that the SL1200 mk2 is the one everyone goes for over the SL1210 but Im not sure why ?
Alan

A bit dark IMO, but definitely worth a spin for that money. I got one on a whim about 4 years ago, fitted a Moth arm and replaced the felt mat with a hard rubber one. I used it mostly for Drum N Bass 12" singles - the speed changer is super convenient compared to a Garrard 301. Unfortunately my (then) 3 1/2 year old decided to 'play a record like Dad' only without a record on the platter, ripping the cantilever out of a brand new Denon DL110. It's been under the bed ever since. One of many benched hifi items awaiting a child-safe period in my future life.

Definitely a very good move. Does it have the arm?

Yes it has the arm. It's a little grubby so I need to give it a good clean. The stylus is a Stanton (from memory, I'm not in view of it right now) - I suspect the stylus needs changing for a better one.

I will take a photo of it after screwing in the missing foot and giving it a clean.

Oh it's missing the lid.

Why do people prefer the silver? can anyone recommend a good stylus for it. If I can get audiophile (perhaps not Garrard audiophile) sound quality from it, that would be nice.

It seems there's up chap up in Manchester who services these for £135 including return courier - I''ll put that on the back burner for now - depending on how well it works as-is.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Why do people prefer the silver? can anyone recommend a good stylus for it. If I can get audiophile (perhaps not Garrard audiophile) sound quality from it, that would be nice.

It seems there's up chap up in Manchester who services these for £135 including return courier - I''ll put that on the back burner for now - depending on how well it works as-is.

It already is an audiophile turntable. Yes, there are better out there but I've never seen the point in changing half the stuff inside it when Technics got it so right in the first place. If I was you I would:

(1) Clean it up if it's grubby.
(2) Buy a decent cartridge for it. The standard arm will take something up to and including an Ortofon 2M Black or AT-OC9 quite cheerfully but you could start with an AT-95E and see what you think.
(3) Buy it a Funk Firm Achromat
(4) Buy it a new lid
(5) Play records on it and enjoy it.

It's a very nice audiophile quality table and you got it at a good price. They regularly go for 350-450 pounds in good condition. The most important thing is to make sure that it has not been abused in a club environment but they are really tough anyway.

I am listening to a 1210mk2 into a very high end system as I type this and it sounds great to my ears. Audiophiles like to look down on it because it is a 'DJ' turntable.

A decent MM cart like the Audio Technica will work well. It deserves something better than the DJ cartridges that they are so often used with. I also find changing the feet to better ones makes a difference. I have mine on Isoacoustics feet. People often dismiss the Technics arm but IMO it performs well while being extremely easy to adjust and use. You don't really need the dust cover; I remove mine when in use.

It already is an audiophile turntable. Yes, there are better out there but I've never seen the point in changing half the stuff inside it when Technics got it so right in the first place. If I was you I would:

(1) Clean it up if it's grubby.
(2) Buy a decent cartridge for it. The standard arm will take something up to and including an Ortofon 2M Black or AT-OC9 quite cheerfully but you could start with an AT-95E and see what you think.
(3) Buy it a Funk Firm Achromat
(4) Buy it a new lid
(5) Play records on it and enjoy it.

Thanks - looking at the price of the former two cartridge recommendations (which are more than twice the price I paid for the deck) - I think I will try it with an AT-95E to begin with.

just done one up for a friend son for a Xmas present
added a funk achromat , ortofon bronze PNP & Jelco TS550 & sounded excellent

just done one up for a friend son for a Xmas present
added a funk achromat , ortofon bronze PNP & Jelco TS550 & sounded excellent

I like the look of your turntable in you avatar. Mine isn't quite as pretty. I don't know much about SL-1200's, I assume they don't have auto-return.

I own one the same and they are an excellent turntable, bargain price if the bearing and arm are ok
I notice that the SL1200 mk2 is the one everyone goes for over the SL1210 but Im not sure why ?
Alan

When they went to mark 2m that’s when the change was made to the power supply: the quartz lock. More accurate pitch control, essentially. Plus the rotary pitch control was changed to a slider with more range. https://vintagetechnics.audio/turntables.php#plinth

Bargain if you ask me , You can tinker to your hearts content , However as said above just use it and enjoy , It wont sound better cleaned or with a new lid , Put a cloth over it when not in use
I have had a 1200 / 1210 and now a 1200G and love them all :D

advertisement

Back