advertisement

Technics SL-1200G Grand Class

Going to try my made up Mono cartridge in the next few days on the new boy. Not expecting much, but keeping an open mind.
(AT-VMN95C out of interest)

It sounded okay. Basic okay, “ not bad.”

as the cartridge accepts various VM styli,
I swapped the vmn95c for an Audio-Technica AT-VM95 ML (microline)
:)
That’s more like it sonny-jimmy!

Mono is now cookin’

Seems to me the biggest upgrade (save for the cartridge) if you want to keep the stock arm (which should be solid on the "Gee") would be the KAB TD-1000

Agree with this. An excellent suggestion.

Just fitted one to my G and the improvement in detail and dynamics is easy to hear.

Perf board makes good spacers , the perferations help keep everything square and help with the holes .

Just be carefull when swapping headshells , the Technics headshell sits a bit lower than others so changing the headshell can make matters worse .

Ordered some spacers from audio-origami.

Not sure if I will use them, or stick with using platter mats to fine tune the tone-arm height. The turntable sounds fantastic so I really should stop messing aboot.
Also I am due an eye operation v. soon, so life will be easier when both eyes are reasonable. After a month of eye-drops, another eye test and new spectacles, all we be clear. I hope.

The Gee will play at 78rpm :)

Just ordered an Ortofon 2m 78 phono cartridge for the Gee.
I have a stack of jazz and rock n roll 78’s in great condition that need sorting/playing.
Not expecting much from the records in terms of sound quality, but I will be able to grade them more accurately than my Hacker Cavalier.

A benefit is that 2m Mono stylus will fit in the same cartridge.

Now all I have to do is wait till I can see well enough to stick this on a headshell and set it up.

IMG-1486.jpg

78 rpm here I come

:)

Ortofon 2m 78 cartridge set up on a headshell. I am getting less sweary/more proficient at these tasks. Still took ages though.
Headshell spacers have arrived - used one of those as well.

The Gee runs silent at 78rpm. Holds the speed with no wavering.

Listening to an Everly Brothers 78. Sounds incredible. The best 78rpm reproduction that I have heard.
I have a lot of 78’s to clean up. Most of them have no obvious scratches. Ace.

What's your technique for cleaning 78s BT?

If downright filthy I attach the label protector guard wotsit here >
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BW8X3RC4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
and gently clean in the sink with circular motions, minimal cheap/unperfumed washing up liquid, and rinse - potentially repeat.
Maybe clean lint free cotton wipe down whilst still wet.

Then distilled water with a couple of drops of Biological clothes washing liquid, properly mixed in - then Disco Antistat. At least 10 revolutions each way, maybe more.
I might let it soak a while, depends on condition.

spin using centrifugal forces to get rid of most of the water -
- complete drying on a rack.

Carefully inspect
Use Scotch ‘Magic’ invisible tape
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TOBYTI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
to lift off reluctant bits of debris - fantastic stuff, I have been banging on about this stuff for years now…
> play >
inspect again as the stylus can dig out sheet. Use tape again if required.

Be extra careful as these mothers will snap with the slightest provocation.

Delight at the splendid sounds!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks BT. I'd forgotten about the tape trick : )

I stared looking through a box of 78s in the local Music & Video Exchange at the weekend and quickly realised that about half of them were cracked or snapped - I think because of the way they'd been carelessly shoved in the box.

Does anyone use a Decca London Gold /Super Gold with their 1200G? I normally use either classic Technics EPC-205C (mkII, III or IV) alternatively a Victor U-2e, which I actually prefer to the Technics. Having read about the dynamics of the Gold/Super Gold, I'd like to listen for myself. I prefer to stick with top MM cartridges than step into MC.
Any issues with these cartridges and mounting advice?

How many G/GR owners have tried the Stereophile torque tweak? Basically switching the torque to manual and turning it down a bit. I did it and liked it, but it would be interesting to get the thoughts of more users. It only takes a few seconds to make the change.

mmm…

Took me a while to find the article.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/technics-sl-1200g-turntable-page-2

“Next, I shone an LED flashlight through a hole in the platter to locate the torque control. After setting the switch from automatic to manual, I reduced the torque by about a third of a revolution. The resulting change floored me. The turntable sounded mostly the same, but its somewhat mechanical, uptight character was nearly gone; now the music flowed and shimmied more convincingly. I also heard improved sustain and decay. Taking RPM Pro for another spin revealed a slightly inferior set of measurements. I suppose the utility of this control depends on whether you believe a turntable's job is to make recorded music meaningful and exciting or to exhibit near-perfect technical performance. For me, this adjustment proved essential and made listening to the SL-1200G considerably more enjoyable and engaging.”

The adjustment instructions are in the hard copy manual, p.19

I haven’t tried it yet as I am still in the honeymoon period, but selfishly I thought I would note it here. I will still forget it, but at least I made an effort.

One thing that I have changed is the interconnects.

Firstly I now have shorter interconnects from the turntable to the phono amplifier. Was 1 metre, now 0.5 m. - this makes sense as the voltage coming from the cartridge is low.
1 metre interconnects from preamp to the main amplifier.
Now using Chord Shawline interconnects that sound noticeably different to the Clearways I was using before.

Until I at least get used to the sound of the new cables, then I will forget about reducing the motor torque.
The turntable sounds jolly good and I have no motivation to muck about with it.

There is a 2m Mono stylus on the way - that is the next and hopefully last bit of jigsaw for a while.

Please comment on the changes experienced if you have altered the torque settings. + or -

advertisement

Back