advertisement

Technics SL-1200G Grand Class

Indeed it does, but the thought of all that tech built into the turntable and then a trough of oil and a paddle sitting ontop of it just doesn’t fill me with joy, especially as I often like to move turntables around.

Has no one ever made a sealed unit? A little like a Tamiya shock absorber? If not I might have a go at designing one.

Yeah, it's not for those liking to move their TT's around frequently... And not for those not covering the TT with a lid or something else. And perhaps not for those with children tall enough to reach?

Other than that, a great addition for improving cartridge performance and compatibility.

The trough is less than half filled, you'd have to move a TT at pretty odd angles for it to be an issue. I'd happily sling mine in the back of a car but for shipping by courier it's probably best removed.

They are a hugely capable turntable and I was genuinely astonished the first time I heard one as to my stupid mind it looked like a DJ deck and DJ decks are average at best yes? My (then) LP12 was going to be so much better than the Technics I didn't even know why I was bothering and then.... well it wasn't :D I never bought one as at the time I was 'getting out of vinyl' and had the opportunity to hear one so took it, and being honest (for me) the looks are a bit of an acquired taste, but they are great turntables that stand up quite happily against anything else (sound wise) at the same price point. They are also a lot less faff than many of the more 'accepted' turntables we love in the UK audiophile world. You really can just 'fit and forget'.
Yes, the looks bother me a little. I keep thinking of swapping my LP12 just out of curiosity as my big changes so far have been successful.

i replaced the arm

Has anyone seen a Technics 1200 with two tonearms ?

If memory serve I spotted a 1200G with add-on device on its left side to fit your choice of a second tonearm.
Can't recall where and when I spotted this, but such "device" would certainly be something to be considered.

Yes, the looks bother me a little. I keep thinking of swapping my LP12 just out of curiosity as my big changes so far have been successful.
LP12: no technology (a belt), cheap(ish) motor
SL1200: modern technology, superb, sophisticated direct drive motor.
Both superbly machined obviously.
Difficult choice.
I must say that the Linn never attracted me, visually.

LP12: no technology (a belt), cheap(ish) motor
SL1200: modern technology, superb, sophisticated direct drive motor.
Both superbly machined obviously.
Difficult choice.
I must say that the Linn never attracted me, visually.
The LP12 just looks right to me.

The LP12 just looks right to me.

Although the heybrook tt2s isn’t an LP12, with it sitting next to the technics G, it looks mature to the youngster next to it.
I need to give that cast alloy platter on the tt2 a polish, the new aluminium silverness next to it is so clean. The real wood veneer on the tt2 could do with a clean as well…
I don’t think I have polished it in 30 yrs. of ownership.

When I feel up to it I will play the G against the tt2.
They both have the same cartridge, similar age (new), and similar phono stages.
I have several records that I have doubles of. Grace Jones and Kate Bush come to mind.

I fear all that will come of it is less heybrook - more gee.
?

I think a lot depends on your spec of LP12 and whether you just personally prefer the sound of one or the other. The Technics is, however, a very well thought out and engineered turnable. I'm keeping my Gyro though as it's as much a design classic ornamental piece as a turntable to me :D

I think a lot depends on your spec of LP12 and whether you just personally prefer the sound of one or the other. The Technics is, however, a very well thought out and engineered turnable. I'm keeping my Gyro though as it's as much a design classic ornamental piece as a turntable to me :D
Mines a decent spec, Ekos2, Lingo, Linto. I could do the bearing & fit a Kore but not sure I can be bothered. I actually don’t like the Giro as I find the weights distracting. Do like the Orbe though.

I’m in a similar position, I spend more time looking at it than playing.

advertisement

Back