advertisement

Technics SL-1200G Grand Class

I’ve had my 1200G for a couple of years now. Great turntable and end game for a “reasonable” price. Had to fiddle around with mine though so i replaced the arm with an SME IV, which takes the deck to another level and imho enables the use of a better cartridge than the fitted arm can take. Problem is that now I’m yearning for the Michel Orbe that’s currently in the classifieds :eek:.
Where do you think the cart tops out using the supplied arm, I was thinking of upgrading my Cadenza.

Might change the arm/psu or might just swap the deck for new one. I also have a Gyro but never use it cos the G is as good if not better sound wise and way easier to use.

My view is that any cart can go on the Technics arm (the old, presumably worse one) once it's fluid damped (and to a lesser extent, rewired). I have a DV xx2 on mine, no problem.

My view is that any cart can go on the Technics arm (the old, presumably worse one) once it's fluid damped (and to a lesser extent, rewired). I have a DV xx2 on mine, no problem.
I was thinking more Windfield level and up, I have seen an Xpression fitted to a G.

Assuming the looks and presentation suit, the G, for many, is the "for ever" deck. I'm thinking that if I can, I'll sell my GR and 401 and find a nice Japanese G for me. Living with the GR for a few years has more than demonstrated to me that there is nothing an idler or belt can do to make me consider going back...

Oooo great another "G" thread , we haven't had one for a while :) .

I own one and I think it's great . Here;s my thoughts on a couple of points raised in this thread .

Dont bother with isolation platforms , stuff under feet ect . It has no effect , the "G" is built in a way that makes these things superfluous .

Turntable mats , stick with the supplied one unles you have VTA issues then get the older thicker Technics mat .

Re the arm , I've been on a bit of a yoyo journey with this . I changed the arm on mine and though it was better , what I really got was a better match to the cart I was using . The standard arm is good but I think it's quite a bit lighter than the aluminium arm so careful cart matching or heavier headshells need to be brought into the equation . I've just put the standard arm back in mine and got some heavier headshells to have a play with .

FWIW I'm still using my ancient SL-1500 with a V15. Still regard this as an excellent combination. Main problems due to age are that the styli are old - but have survived thus far. And the speed control resistor has developed a spot at the 33rpm setting so sometimes causes the speed to change a bit and needs a wiggle.

Minor problem is that the deck 'bongs' if you drop the lid once the record is playing. Fixed that using a small pad of foam as a damperon the plinth where the edge of the cover comes down. Then lower the lid gently. :)

One advantage of high compliance + low tip mass carts is that much less tip vibration energy gets to the arm. So arm/deck resonances from that are less of a problem than when using lower compliance, etc, carts. Shame no-one makes the old V15s now. May seem a crazy match, but in my experience, superb. Shure abandoning the V15 was a disaster IMHO.

Using it at the moment to make digital transfers I can then de-click, etc.

Where do you think the cart tops out using the supplied arm, I was thinking of upgrading my Cadenza.

Might change the arm/psu or might just swap the deck for new one. I also have a Gyro but never use it cos the G is as good if not better sound wise and way easier to use.
Hard to say - I had a Lyra Delos mounted which was OK but could never get the VTA right even with a thicker rubber mat - the cartridge was too shallow. Currently running a Hana Umami in the IV. I agree that the Gyro is no match for the 1200G but an Orbe might be at least as good?

I own one and I think it's great . Here;s my thoughts on a couple of points raised in this thread .

Dont bother with isolation platforms , stuff under feet ect . It has no effect , the "G" is built in a way that makes these things superfluous .

Turntable mats , stick with the supplied one unles you have VTA issues then get the older thicker Technics mat .

Re the arm , I've been on a bit of a yoyo journey with this . I changed the arm on mine and though it was better , what I really got was a better match to the cart I was using . The standard arm is good but I think it's quite a bit lighter than the aluminium arm so careful cart matching or heavier headshells need to be brought into the equation . I've just put the standard arm back in mine and got some heavier headshells to have a play with .
What headshell / cartridge combinations have you tried?

You’re making me want a G now….

I have an original mint 1200 with ATG33mk2 and Arkless GTI turbo stage and it’s great.. what benefits will the ‘really’ G bring? Please be gentle.

When I had my modded 1200 (KAB damper, Audio Origami rewired and foam filled arm, Sound Org mat, Isonoe feet) it was a great deck but lacked some of the 'soul' that other decks I've had (usually belt drive and suspended) - I can't say it any clearer than that, it felt slightly sterile and grey. Accurate to a T but it didn't draw me in as much as my LP12 did (even with all it's faults!). Somehow I think the new motors Technics are using have gone a fair way to negating that sterility - I think my 1500C draws me in every bit as much as the best of those earlier decks, and the GR and G even more so. Get the arm/cart synergy right and they are very, very good...

Hard to say - I had a Lyra Delos mounted which was OK but could never get the VTA right even with a thicker rubber mat - the cartridge was too shallow. Currently running a Hana Umami in the IV. I agree that the Gyro is no match for the 1200G but an Orbe might be at least as good?
The Orbe will give it a good run, I did consider the Orbe for it's better bottom end compared to the Gyro, felt the HR psu gave me a good bit of the better bass and pitch stability and more vfm. Have to admit the platter weights spinning round are a big attraction but I read many prefer the Orbe platter/look.

Mulling over a few changes at present - SME arm (again), offboard PSU, swap Gyro/GR/Thorens/G for one uber deck, nice to have the options.

The Orbe will give it a good run, I did consider the Orbe for it's better bottom end compared to the Gyro, felt the HR psu gave me a good bit of the better bass and pitch stability and more vfm. Have to admit the platter weights spinning round are a big attraction but I read many prefer the Orbe platter/look.

Mulling over a few changes at present - SME arm (again), offboard PSU, swap Gyro/GR/Thorens/G for one uber deck, nice to have the options.

Uber-deck with 3 arms..you know it makes sense:D

What headshell / cartridge combinations have you tried?

I have tried the standard arm with , VM750SH , Benz Ace SH , Benz Wood SL and DL103 . Discounting the Denon which was never going to work on the Technics arm , they all sounded better when I mounted a heavier arm ( Jelco TK950S ) on the "G" .

Tried the Jelco headshell (12g) with the Technics arm but it wasnt great . I've got some assorted Audio Tecnica headshells and when I get some time I'm going to have a play .

It's my gut feeling that the Technics arm with its headshell is only around 9g and the carts I have here aren't a great match .

My apologies, I couldn’t find a specific thread for the G.

The standard arm is good but I think it's quite a bit lighter than the aluminium arm so careful cart matching or heavier headshells need to be brought into the equation

I don’t have the skill or knowledge to change tonearms.

I have used the supplied headshell that came with the turntable with the 2m Black cartridge.

I’ve read posts that do say the Eff Mass is about 9g, this number seems to have come from a HFN review/test bench Paul Miller 2011, but is mentioned in a couple of recent online 1200G reviews. I’ve generally worked to 12g for my GR and G using the standard weight and stock headshell (7.6g). Technics don’t seem willing to give a set figure and just offer a range of masses depending on counterweight used).

Using different mat thickness, headshells and counterweights I’ve managed to get any cart I have working/sounding decent, end of day if it sounds fine but the numbers say otherwise I ignore the numbers.

A guy on Hoffman did a calc for his GR and came to 12.5g.

This white paper has all the info
http://www.cartchunk.org/audiotopics/ToneArmMechanics.pdf

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...ive-mass-for-technics-sl-1500c.1150598/page-3

Seems to me the biggest upgrade (save for the cartridge) if you want to keep the stock arm (which should be solid on the "Gee") would be the KAB TD-1000 damper.

Silver is clearly the right choice of "colour".

advertisement

Back