advertisement

Technics 1210 GR2 any reviews yet ?

The cueing thing is more about it feeling a bit tacky for a deck at this pricepoint (GR). A smooth lever just feels nice but you need to get the G to get it.
Agree, it knocks a bit of the polish off the deck, it works perfectly fine - as in fit for purpose, just feels a bit naff when using it.

Here's the thing, I grew up with belt drives, it has not ever crossed my mind to start the Techys with the stylus already lowered, did try that on a couple of decks as a youngster and the hop skip jump that ensued plus the slow wind up cured me me of it.

I was using a SME the other day and was very taken with the M2 arm on it, the lift/lower was super nice to use, so much that I put out a couple wtd ads for am M2-9R.
I also grew up with belt drives, but once I had the idea I never went back. So satisfying. Obviously I don't do it on my other deck but I haven't got them muddled up yet!

That said, I still maintain the GR's lift is perfectly good enough. You just have to do it slowly and not drop it (as you can with my SME or an Ittok for example).

If you must cue with the deck running, just lower it gradually rather than just letting it drop. There's no damping, but its operation is accurate and perfectly satisfactory imho.
That's interesting- although the 'feel' of the cueing lever isn't great, there's certainly damping on mine.

I bet you a Blackbird’s beak there’ll be a G2 within a few months.
He said something was coming which would interest me, but not that. As you say this does not rule out that.

He said they basically put the SP-10R power supply into the GR2. I asked if that would happen with the G and I think he sort of implied that it wasn't necessary on the G and wouldn't happen. I could not work out if he meant that the G power supply was already that, or that the differences would not make such an improvement worthwhile. Mysterious, but if I take him at his word there is no G2 in the pipeline.

I'm interested in a GR2 because my G, at about 20kg, has turned out to be too heavy for my old back to heave around to audio shows. I can't believe I've reached an age when convenience is decisive. My younger self is turning in its booth. This and the platter spin-up raise doubts about a G2 being launched as a 'breakdance' DJ tool. I'm not sure DJs want a 3.6kg platter which, according to Technics has "more than twice the rotational inertia of the Mk5".

The G motor with a light platter - now that might interest DJs who value very fast spin-up, but that wouldn't really be a G substitute, it would be a Mk7 upgrade.

Either way, I think a GR2 has my name on it.

He said something was coming which would interest me, but not that. As you say this does not rule out that.

He said they basically put the SP-10R power supply into the GR2. I asked if that would happen with the G and I think he sort of implied that it wasn't necessary on the G and wouldn't happen. I could not work out if he meant that the G power supply was already that, or that the differences would not make such an improvement worthwhile. Mysterious, but if I take him at his word there is no G2 in the pipeline.

I'm interested in a GR2 because my G, at about 20kg, has turned out to be too heavy for my old back to heave around to audio shows. I can't believe I've reached an age when convenience is decisive. My younger self is turning in its booth. This and the platter spin-up raise doubts about a G2 being launched as a 'breakdance' DJ tool. I'm not sure DJs want a 3.6kg platter which, according to Technics has "more than twice the rotational inertia of the Mk5".

The G motor with a light platter - now that might interest DJs who value very fast spin-up, but that wouldn't really be a G substitute, it would be a Mk7 upgrade.

Either way, I think a GR2 has my name on it.
I didn’t mean to imply the DJs would use G2, they’ll likely use tricked out Mk7’s, I meant it might be a good time to announch a new flagship deck.

The blurb on the Technics site says this, which leads me to think more improved decks are on the way:

The first stage of Technics’ new generation of direct drive turntables with an improved motor-drive circuit centered on the newly developed ΔΣ-Drive (Delta Sigma Drive), the SL-1200GR2 is the new standard turntables, inviting more audio enthusiasts to enjoy music with the rich, robust sound of analogue records.​

It is a shame the GR2 didn't address the oft mentioned lift operation. As mentioned it feels vague and inferior to the armlifts used in even basic 70s Techys such as the SL1500. And if you happen to rub the lever even lightly it transmits the noise to the cartridge which isn't an issue in play but just heightens the impression of cost cutting.
The G armlift in comparison feels really nice and positive to use.

That there are no ground breaking SQ improvements here ?

There’re probably no such improvements. I’ve sold my GR2 actually mainly because it was easily surpassed by the digital setup. I felt it could be a decent platform for upgrades but that was not an intention, I wanted something plug-and-play.

I felt it could be a decent platform for upgrades but that was not an intention, I wanted something plug-and-play.
I tend to agree. Out of the box the Technics offes a fool proof solution for vinyl replay but there is so much potential for improvement.
So for someone looking for a good platform for an arm project, the GR and G are both excellent candidates. Ammonite Audio do some great armboards in black and silver that look original and of course Steve at Magna Audio makes his high quality ebony boards.

advertisement

Back