advertisement

Technics 1200g - Any long term users?

I only wish they’d make a more domestic-looking version, perhaps with a more discreet look with a veneered top plate and losing the 1200-style strobe platter. Also, I know it’s part of the 1200 look, but the DJ controls really seem out-of-place on a £2650 turntable. Home users don’t want them and DJs won’t pay £5000 for a pair of turntables. All these things put me off a bit.

In fact, these new decks have nothing in common with the originals 1200 turntables mechanically, so Technics could have made a totally new aesthetic if they had wanted to. I suppose their marketing team thought the 1200 moniker would help generate extra publicity.

I totally agree and the looks of the turntable are what have put me off considering one for a long time. I have been drawn back to them as I was looking for something that was pretty much a “set it and forget it” solution after owning an LP12 and Gyro SE.

This turntable seems to be something of a strange beast having read the posts on here and done some digging elsewhere.

Am I right in thinking that, to extract a decent performance from it, you need to make some significant changes post purchase (new arm for example). If this is the case it is a little disappopoiiting that you need to go to those lengths for a £3,000 turntable.

Or am I missing something?

There is nothing wrong with the performance of the stock deck , the standard tonearm is good and if you favor taller carts there is no need to change anything .

Don't look at it as an expensive 1210 , it's a "cheap" high end turntable . Check out the price of thing like Well Tempered decks , or a new LP12 . The Technics then looks like a bargain even if you factor in a new arm .

This turntable seems to be something of a strange beast having read the posts on here and done some digging elsewhere.

Am I right in thinking that, to extract a decent performance from it, you need to make some significant changes post purchase (new arm for example). If this is the case it is a little disappopoiiting that you need to go to those lengths for a £3,000 turntable.

Or am I missing something?

There is nothing wrong with the performance of the stock deck , the standard tonearm is good and if you favor taller carts there is no need to change anything .

Don't look at it as an expensive 1210 , it's a "cheap" high end turntable . Check out the price of thing like Well Tempered decks , or a new LP12 . The Technics then looks like a bargain even if you factor in a new arm .

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Has anyone any experience with an SME IV or V on one and would that lid clear the bridge on the SME?

I looked into fitting an SME IV/V and it fits under the lid ( there is a domed section in the lid that gives plenty of room ) however it is possible that there are still VTA problems . The casting that hold the arm tube rest protrudes beyond the cut out for the armboard , in theory this "could" foul on the faceplate when lowering the arm to suit shallow carts . I couldn't get a clear answer so decided against it .

Thanks for this. Technically, the 1200G is difficult to surpass at the price. It should certainly outlive most other decks with the build quality.

I totally agree and the looks of the turntable are what have put me off considering one for a long time. I have been drawn back to them as I was looking for something that was pretty much a “set it and forget it” solution after owning an LP12 and Gyro SE.
Can I ask why you ditched the Gyro Robby? Too much of a faff?

Can I ask why you ditched the Gyro Robby? Too much of a faff?

Predominantly the faff, yes. As with the Linn deck I had before for some reason I was always checking for the right bounce albeit the issue with the Gyro is that you can stand there and fiddle with the springs all day long. I should have just left it to be honest.

I could also not get over the faint whirring noise the motor made. I was told this was normal and it was only really audible 99% with my ear a few inches from the spindle - for some reason though, again I found it irritating.

It sounded great though as did the LP12 before it but in a slightly different way.

One of the reasons for considering the Technics is that it is seemingly fuss free, albeit opinion varies on the quality of the arm and motor.

Will be talking to a dealer later this afternoon to discuss some options against the Technics.

I only wish they’d make a more domestic-looking version, perhaps with a more discreet look with a veneered top plate and losing the 1200-style strobe platter. Also, I know it’s part of the 1200 look, but the DJ controls really seem out-of-place on a £2650 turntable. Home users don’t want them and DJs won’t pay £5000 for a pair of turntables. All these things put me off a bit.

Looks like your prayers have been answered...

https://www.technics.com/us/news/20190107-sl-1500c/

At under 10kg it’s clearly made to a price point. The G magnesium arm measured very well in one review (was it hifi choice or news?). The vta can easily be fixed with an extra platter mat.

Has anyone any experience with an SME IV or V on one and would that lid clear the bridge on the SME?

l have a Technics SL1200MK2 with various mods this sports an SME V/ Hana SL, the lid fits easily and the T/T arm sounds good with rock solid bass.

advertisement

Back