advertisement

Technics 1200g - Any long term users?

Robby

pfm Member
Curious as to thoughts about this turntable.

Anyone had one for a while and give a long term view of it’s performance.

Thanks.

I've had one for just over a year now ( does that count as long term ? ) and I am extremely pleased with it . I did however change the stock tonearm due to VTA problems .

Build quality is excellent , even the ( flawed ) Technics tonearm was lovely to use . Sound quality is always subjective but I find it offers a very open and detailed sound that has plenty of drive , In my opinion it is all the turntable anyone would really need .

I've had one for just over a year now ( does that count as long term ? ) and I am extremely pleased with it . I did however change the stock tonearm due to VTA problems .

Build quality is excellent , even the ( flawed ) Technics tonearm was lovely to use . Sound quality is always subjective but I find it offers a very open and detailed sound that has plenty of drive , In my opinion it is all the turntable anyone would really need .

Can you clarify the VTA issues for me please. Was it specifically with one cartridge or all that you wanted to use?

Thanks.

The carts I used at the time were DL103r and AT33EV , both are shallow carts . With the Technics tonearm the adjustment did not go low enough to get the correct VTA . I have read similar comments on the internet so I don't think I am the only one to have had this problem . A thicker Technics mat ( RGS008 ? ) and a spacer cured this , but using spacers annoys me . It shouts "I'm not right" every time I que a record .

I already had a Jelco SA750D so changing the arm was an obvious thing to try , it cured the VTA . This was eventually was changed for Jelco's TK950S .

For the record the Technics arm is nice , if it wasn't for the VTA issue I would not have changed it .

FWIW when I briefly had the above deck I used a Ortofon 2M Black and it was level with the VTA set at its absolute minimum, i.e. no way to tail-down at all should you want to. This with standard mat and headshell, and the Ort is not a shallow cart. This is a clear design flaw IMHO, the arm is just mounted too high for many carts. You can obviously get around it with headshell spacers or thicker mats, but it is not something I’d expect to have to do on an otherwise very nicely designed package.

Thanks for the reply. It is a shame about the arm. I have an Audio Technica AT33 too and so clearly it would not be a good match.

It’s a shame - you shouldn’t really have to be swapping out arms at this price point I wouldn’t have thought just to facilitate the correct VTA for a cartridge. I agree that fitting spacers and changing mats just doesn’t seem right.

A headshell spacer would fix the issue, many are availeble in various materials here. I’m actually rather tempted to try the wood insert for the vintage SME headshell!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Technics designed these & use at shows Ortofon PNP ( plug & play ) SPU style plug-in 2M
SL1200 & SL10 - 2M , Concorde , Xpression MC & SPU cover all ranges to £4,000
& dozens of other designs for DJ use as ortofon are industry standard for decades
Technics SL-1200 MK7

https://djtechtools.com/2019/01/01/technics-will-release-new-sl-1200-dj-turntable-at-ces-2019/

technics-ttledition-cart-red_1800x_149d9e7f-6f2c-4463-b6c0-ac5c438c2ddf_1800x.jpg

2M-Black_PnP_m.jpg

concordecentury_rightlowfront01_m.jpg

xpression310x230px_1_m.png

Does the standard Technics heashell have its “mounting plane” higher up (from the collar) compared to certain other manufacturer’s headshells?

Could it be ameliorated somewhat using a different HS?

I have had my 1200G for 2 years now and don't see any reason to change, it just sounds great to me, considerably better than the more expensive and heavy acrylic/perspex/fiddly string thing I had before.

But the VTA thing will be an issue for some carts. I use a 2M Black on an Ortofon SH-4 headshell - which is even higher up than the standard Techie headshell - this only works for me because I have a 5mm Achromat on top of the standard rubber mat! I still have the VTA set at its lowest point.

I also use a Denon DL103r sometimes, it only works in the lower technics headshell. I've also used the Ortofon 2M Red PNP as per Daytona's pics above - a great combo for rock music and a total bargain. It will work without the extra mat, but again with VTA set very low. I've also successfully used a Benz Glider on it, its same height as the 2M cart.

how easy is swapping out arms on this table? Are there any arm swaps that support medium-high compliance carts like Denon 103 or SPUs?

how easy is swapping out arms on this table? Are there any arm swaps that support medium-high compliance carts like Denon 103 or SPUs?

Very easy and completely reversible . Also armboards are readily available for most tonearms , Ammonite Audio do a very nice one but cheaper one are available on ebay .

These are lovely -

https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product-category/technics-upgrades/

I can tell you from personal experience that the both Jelco SA750D and TK950S ( so also the TK850S ) work very well with DL103's , and they visually match the deck as well .

I use the SL-1000 MkII system from back in ‘78 and with the Sumiko HS-12 headshell and Hana MC I have the VTA at rock bottom to get it level. The Sumiko HS puts the cart slightly higher than the original SH-100S and the Hana is not the tallest cartridge but still.

advertisement

Back