advertisement

TAS review of Linn LP-12 Majik

I think you may have nailed it however it is only part of the review & says nothing about the equipment in use or how it is setup.

Referencing it also to something that cost many times the price & likely requiring a different setup is far from fair.

Who was the reviewer? Not all are created equal IME.

I have read through the review twice now and it reads as a criticism of the cartridge not the deck....all be it the cartridge is supplied with the deck.
But according to the orthodoxy it should be all about the turntable itself.

Years ago, when I used to buy HiFi mags all the time, there were very few reviewers who's opinions I thought were worth anything. Like, two. Maybe.

Reading the various excuses on the Linn wam forum is good for a laugh. It's the cartridge or it's the power supply or it's the arm or just the reviewer not listening properly.
I run a lp12 so I'm no linn hater but you have to laugh at the acolyte's having their bubble burst.

You beat me to it!. I've just been over there reading that thread.

I loved this one: "Whenever I read a review about Linn kit, I end up assessing the reviewer as what they write seems to reveal that they are rather clueless."

(I had an LP12 for 25 years btw.)

What makes you think they would see a pre-publication draft? No magazine I’ve ever written for does this.

I think they all do that - in order to allow the manufacturer to respond in case they got anything factually wrong. Given production schedules, I doubt the firms have more than a few days (maybe a week) to respond, but it is pretty standard stuff. Where do the "manufacturer's comments" - as published in the same issue as the review - come from otherwise?

I think they all do that - in order to allow the manufacturer to respond in case they got anything factually wrong. Given production schedules, I doubt the firms have more than a few days (maybe a week) to respond, but it is pretty standard stuff. Where do the "manufacturer's comments" - as published in the same issue as the review - come from otherwise?

Given the magazines that Beobloke has written for...

I see a fair number of reviews on behalf of clients, and some of them go through two or three rounds of corrections. Not least because with some UK reviewers their grammar and syntax would have you wonder if English is their first language, and as you say, factual errors need correcting.

In olden times most publications would have at least one sub-editor who could spell and form coherent sentences without getting a migraine, but I suspect those days are largely gone, particularly with some of the online stuff where it's a one-man band.

One recent example (print magazine) identified one component incorrectly and created a unit which doesn't exist for another. Probably obscured for most readers by the fact that a couple of the surrounding paragraphs made little sense.

I wouldn't expect a publication to amend a negative review or criticism or pull Gary Lineker off-air, but bollocks is bollocks and needs to be sorted out.

What’s the arm like, does anyone know?
The arm is very good, great finish and super well made, nice to use if a little weird getting used to the head shell armlift. It's their best majik pack arm. The koil cartridge is bloody nice sounding TOO. Here I have a 1988 lp12 circus ittok with mose psu and a dv 20x2 and the majik koil, karousel with lingo 4 runs rings around it. Yeah its alot of money but if you want the sound you gotta buy in. Have a rega p3 with the Dv20x2 also and it just can't compete. So I'm editing my post to add a bit more now I've got back from the shop with provisions for a late night listening session and have to say that the majik koil package is a great, wonderful sounding musical turntable. Bags of detail and Go. I must admit I haven't heard it with the majik psu as I opted for lingo 4 straight away. Linn don't need to worry about anything in the magazines

PS Am I right in thinking the Adikt is a Goldring 1042 in a party frock? If so it stands a chance of sounding pretty decent.
Linn specifies the Adikt‘s stylus as a Gyger II, which would match a G1012 in the Goldring range.

You can definitely do much better than the Adikt, it’s worth discussing customisation options with a dealer if you’re buying a new deck. You should be able to get most of the value of the Adikt deducted from the cost of a Majik LP12 and spend the money on something better. Also, for a little extra, you can get a Koil, that is just a rebadged AT OC9 (not sure which variant)… it’s better than the Adikt though and will show more of what the deck is capable of.

I bought a Linn LP12 as it sounded better than my Michell Orbe.
I couldn't be bothered evaluating all the other turntables and components out there.

advertisement

Back