advertisement

TAS review of Linn LP-12 Majik

I agree that some people buy an LP12 because they just want an LP12 but that doesn't explain it. The truth is simple. The LP12 is a likable product.

I've heard a lot of different turntables, and yes some are better than the Linn in some ways, but nothing makes me want to stop using the LP12. When I was looking to buy an RP10, which was the top Rega at that time, my local Linn/Rega dealer said that when they demed the Linn and Rega people bought the Linn every time. And all of the guys in the shop, who could use whatever they wanted to and had lots of exposure to these decks, use an LP12.

As for this review? I means nothing. It doesn't matter what the product is you'll find someone who doesn't like it. Guy has an agenda, his sample isn't right, not used sympathetically or it just isn't his taste it doesn't matter. You need to stack one opinion against fifty years of success. The LP12 is a good product. Very good. It plays music very well, is reliable, serviceable, up-gradable and feels and looks like a high quality product. One person didn't like the one example of the deck that he tried, so what?

I don't have a horse in this race, but that review seems weird and even amateurish to me. A better review would change the cartridge for another compatible one that the reviewer was familiar with to confirm findings. Especially when they're negative. A review should also precisely describe setting up of the cart, phono stage used and its settings.

Wow - what a large markup for the Linn badge.
Are all the current cartridges just rebadges?

Most of Linn's stuff is hiked. A Rega lid costs fifty quid, Linn charge three times that for essentially the same thing.

Only the Koil could be called a straight rebadge. They say it is different from the XML but I don't believe it. Specs are the same and if there is difference it will be very slight. The Adikt is a Goldring 1012 but in a different shaped body. Their top carts are built by other companies but are not straight rebadges.

Bottom line is that Linn have never built a cartridge. Every one of their carts was built for them by someone else. Is that a terrible thing? Not really but the pricing of the Koil and Adikt let you see what is going on. You think similarly big margins aren't being applied to their other carts?

It's an OC9-XML so again, you're better off buying the Audio Technica version or buying the next one up the range, the XSL.
That might depend on package pricing from Linn when you’re buying the whole deck… if you’re just buying the cartridge then yes, definitely buy one of the AT models.

I like the styling of the LP12 - something that doesn't seem to get discussed.

In my view, it's an extremely boring look but it just shouts "I'm a turntable" without all the bling that can go with high end decks.

Here's our basic TT it's £3,800 but you need to add upgrades :rolleyes:
You’ve cut out a small part of what I was saying, and then taken it out of context, I was suggested that you could get the Adikt removed from the package, because it’s poor value, and instead buy the cartridge you want. When you read my whole post, rather than the little bit you quoted, that’s rather obvious… but give yourself a pat on the back anyway, it was a good effort, you must have felt really clever.

I agree that some people buy an LP12 because they just want an LP12 but that doesn't explain it. The truth is simple. The LP12 is a likable product.

I've heard a lot of different turntables, and yes some are better than the Linn in some ways, but nothing makes me want to stop using the LP12. When I was looking to buy an RP10, which was the top Rega at that time, my local Linn/Rega dealer said that when they demed the Linn and Rega people bought the Linn every time. And all of the guys in the shop, who could use whatever they wanted to and had lots of exposure to these decks, use an LP12.

As for this review? I means nothing. It doesn't matter what the product is you'll find someone who doesn't like it. Guy has an agenda, his sample isn't right, not used sympathetically or it just isn't his taste it doesn't matter. You need to stack one opinion against fifty years of success. The LP12 is a good product. Very good. It plays music very well, is reliable, serviceable, up-gradable and feels and looks like a high quality product. One person didn't like the one example of the deck that he tried, so what?
Well yes, I was in pretty much exactly the same position as you. I also looked at the similarly priced Technics, they were all great, but the LP12 stole my heart.

The inside of the chassis does look like someone's hobby project to me, yeah.

I'm not saying it's good value at current prices or cutting edge tech but it's well made. Lots of products stand the test of time, not because they follow fashion but because they get the basic quality right and stick to it.

We've had a few Dualit toasters. They are ridiculously expensive and don't toast bread any better than a cheap one but they are nice things. They are simple, look good and are satisfying to own. You get a little bit of enjoyment out of a product that you wouldn't get from a cheapo one.

The LP12 is a bit like that? Yes, it's kinda basic in there but it works. And works reliably for a very long time.

I like the styling of the LP12 - something that doesn't seem to get discussed.

I think it's the same as the other aspects of the deck, they got it fundamentally right, knew they'd got it right and so stuck with it. Very clever and something most manufacturers don't seem to get. Do this and you can end up with an iconic product, like the Fender Stratocaster or Dualit toaster.

I've said it before but...
An LP12 can make a small percentage of records sound amazing....so good that it warrants the expense and setup hassle
But most of the time it doesn't sound anything special...and is ultimately why I (for one) gave up on Linn
There's better decks for less money out there ....Avid and Rega being but two

As for the cartridge, you pays your money and takes your choice

advertisement

Back