advertisement

TAS review of Linn LP-12 Majik

chris geary

pfm Member
Wow, I have never read a downright negative review like that in a long time. The writer thought that the entire package was held back by the Adikt cartridge - probably true, but wow! And no response from Linn in the back! I am sure there was some yelling in Glasgow when they saw the pre-publication draft.

It is not up on the TAS website yet. I got the magazine in the mail yesterday.

I am at work right now and don't have the issue in front of me. But the reviewer was "disappointed" in the sound, which he found lacking in detail, veiled and not musical. Also called it flat and lifeless. Other little digs were sprinkled throughout. One of the worst reviews I have ever read in a mainstream audio magazine. Usually you have to read between the lines to appreciate the ultimately negative review. This one lays it right out there.

That publication has never rated the LP12 - always been “mid class” or something like that,

For some hifi considerations it probably is, just depends on what you are listening for. Many people find it makes records sound enjoyable.

The Majik LP12 is very much budget these days. It wouldn’t exist if people weren’t buying it. My response to the review is “Compared to what?” And “So what?”. Those that want a brand new LP12 with a warranty who are on a budget will buy it and enjoy it. Those “In the know” will get a dealer to put together a higher spec unit with used components. I tend to ignore good reviews being more interested in the negative ones. Saying that, there aren’t many negative ones about the LP12. Must have been like all their birthdays and xmas’s coming at once to the “few” on this forum :)

I have read through the review twice now and it reads as a criticism of the cartridge not the deck....all be it the cartridge is supplied with the deck.

Reads like a fair and honest review , a rarity indeed , seems like he wanted to like it but just didn't rate it, makes a refreshing change from the five star "everything is wonderful ' usual fodder.

I wonder if he's been tipped off by Linn that an Adikt replacement is coming and it's fair game, but I don't know if things work that way in the press.

I don't know if an Adikt replacement is coming but it is 20 years old now and Linn are back in bed with AT.

I always amuses me when someone reviews a MM cartridge with no mention whatsoever of the loading and capacitance of the upstream phono stage and whether it was in range. Everything he describes (dull, no space, life, air etc) sounds like poor electrical matching to me.

PS Am I right in thinking the Adikt is a Goldring 1042 in a party frock? If so it stands a chance of sounding pretty decent.

I always amuses me when someone reviews a MM cartridge with no mention whatsoever of the loading and capacitance of the upstream phono stage and whether it was in range. Everything he describes (dull, no space, life, air etc) sounds like poor electrical matching to me.

PS Am I right in thinking the Adikt is a Goldring 1042 in a party frock? If so it stands a chance of sounding pretty decent.
I think you may have nailed it however it is only part of the review & says nothing about the equipment in use or how it is setup.

Referencing it also to something that cost many times the price & likely requiring a different setup is far from fair.

advertisement

Back