advertisement

Tannoy cheviot - amplifier thoughts

dhunter

pfm Member
I have recently got back in to my hifi with the purchase of a pair of cheviots.

Another a purchase of some much nicer cabinets and upgraded crossovers too and they are sounding lovely.

However, I'm thinking that my naim 62/140 may not be the best match for the cheviot and it has got me looking at different amps.

I have tried a world audio kel84 valve amp but it just didnt have the guts and seemed underpowered and lacking detail. The naim kit sounded so much better but it got me thinking about maybe classic japanese amps like the pioneer sa1000 or rotels etc may be worth investigating.

Has anybody got any recommendations on which classic amps would be the ones to look out for - seems to be a lot out there, or any other suitable amps that would be worth a look.

Dont want to spend a fortune - £500 would be good but could go to £1000 for something thats going to blow my socks off

All advice appreciated

I enjoyed Yamaha M4 amps with Berkeleys. The phono stage in the C4 is very decent too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You should get one of the Quad 520 power amps for sale in the classifieds here - I run my 315HPDS (90l cabs) with 520f and 72HiCap and it’s just perfect - quad replaced a lovely sounding 110 - just sounded more enjoyable in every way . Lots of Quad/Tannoy lovers around. You can’t really loose as the Quads will always hold value and cheap to service. I plan to try a passive pre at some stage but like the flexibility the Naim gives me.

Universal answer... pretty much any amplifier is fine with any speaker.
I can't recommend the Quad 520. Not bad but not fantastic either...

Not bowled over by the quads if Im honest - regardless of how they may or may not perform - I just don't like the look of them.
I like my hifi to look good as well as doing the business sound wise. Plus it keeps things happy at home if it looks nice -
I'm not in a huge rush to sort this as i don't want to end up with something I'm not happy with.

What kind of power should i be looking at to make the tannoys sing?
Some of the classic japanese amps are 20-30w (although obviously some are monsters too)

My nap140 is 45w (?) per channel which seems to be plenty - could i go less?

Ideally any amp would have an mc phono stage and i fancy a bit of tone control too.

Keep the suggestions coming

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but here's another vote for Quad. A Quad 34/306 would suit nicely, well within budget, has "tone controls", and the MC phono module not hard to source if needed. Also easy to sell if you really didn't get on with them.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I love the aesthetics of big Jap integrated from the '70's. Something with a brushed silver fascia, lots of knobs and preferably with VU meters. Think Accuphase, Yamaha, Luxman etc.

Most will have tone controls and many higher end examples will have good MC phono sections too.

Quads and Tannoys is an almost universally understood ‘good match’- they go together really well and there’s a very good chance many 70/80s uk albums will have been monitored over such a combo. Lots of audiophiles who’s opinion I respect rate the combo highly. Fraser’s Naim/520/ Tannoy 12’s sounds fantastic. God was in the room....

Absolutely get that cooky - a friend of mine has tannoys and quad (50D's?) and it does sound nice - and i have been close a few times to jumping on a 33/303 or a 34/306.
Then there's always the 405.

There does seem to be a lot of sense in thinking quad

What to do - what to do

Quads and Tannoys is an almost universally understood ‘good match’- they go together really well and there’s a very good chance many 70/80s uk albums will have been monitored over such a combo. Lots of audiophiles who’s opinion I respect rate the combo highly. Fraser’s Naim/520/ Tannoy 12’s sounds fantastic. God was in the room....

What are you using now for your speakers? I noticed you’re selling some Quads.

I
What are you using now for your speakers? I noticed you’re selling some Quads.
I’m still using a BBC QUAD 240(306) in one system with 12” monitor golds but the 520/521’s have been displaced by mark levinson 380S/No333 pre power in the main jbl system

Ah I was wondering whether you were going to keep the Mark Levinson.
Oh most definitely. On sound quality I would’ve been equally happy to keep a 520 rather than the lower powered 240 but the 240 is very rare and I love its funky industrial design.

advertisement

Back