advertisement

Tannoy cheviot - amplifier thoughts

Not surprised the WAD didn't drive the Cheviots. HPDs need a bit more welly than that.

Try the Kora Jupiter currently for sale in the classifieds. Very blingy and more than powerful enough. I owned it for a while and it sounded fabulous. I'd have kept it if it looked more like a Quad o_O

And if you still want tone controls stick a Schiit Loki in front of it.

The claymore looks really nice - mm/mc too
How would this compare to naim 62/140 with avondale apx? (my current setup)

Have also been looking into quad 34/306 - i like that there is some tone control and they do look v nice

Not surprised the WAD didn't drive the Cheviots. HPDs need a bit more welly than that.

Try the Kora Jupiter currently for sale in the classifieds. Very blingy and more than powerful enough. I owned it for a while and it sounded fabulous. I'd have kept it if it looked more like a Quad o_O

And if you still want tone controls stick a Schiit Loki in front of it.

Bit flashy in the looks dept that one - the schiit loki is interesting (is that pronounced ..shite?):D - never seen one, do they work ok?

Bit flashy in the looks dept that one - the schiit loki is interesting (is that pronounced ..shite?):D - never seen one, do they work ok?

Oh I thought you wanted bling.

The 306 is just a brilliant little amp and a perfect match for Tannoys. At the very least it’s an excellent starting point. The ones in the classifieds now are excellent examples.

I’ve always like it best with a valve pre but the 34 is basically transparent and the tone controls are brilliantly implemented. Also about as good looking as hifi gets in my view!

Well I think a lot of the Quad/Tannoy stuff dates from the Era when both were reckoned to be cutting edge...Quad/ Quad ESL's being another (obvious) pairing that adorned a good few homes with a decent amount of cash to spend. Those were the days when home demo didn't exist, and kit matching was a matter of buying the best and sticking it together. It often did work, and maybe Tannoy Quad were co developed, but now, now we have variety and I think Tannoys can be made to work better with other amps. Push/Pull valve amps spring to mind and there a good few of those designs around. The A class Sugden A21 has been around for long enough to be a classic ant sounds better than Quad IMO.

Well I think a lot of the Quad/Tannoy stuff dates from the Era when both were reckoned to be cutting edge...Quad/ Quad ESL's being another (obvious) pairing that adorned a good few homes with a decent amount of cash to spend. Those were the days when home demo didn't exist, and kit matching was a matter of buying the best and sticking it together. It often did work, and maybe Tannoy Quad were co developed, but now, now we have variety and I think Tannoys can be made to work better with other amps. Push/Pull valve amps spring to mind and there a good few of those designs around. The A class Sugden A21 has been around for long enough to be a classic ant sounds better than Quad IMO.

Don’t disagree with this at all (though I’d take quad over the A21a with HPDs). Quad/Tannoy is a perfect historical reference point, however, and would still be my first port of call before exploring other, possibly better options.

which leads me neatly onto to where I am now, with a thread about Tannoy kit building and, at this moment, my mind mulling over 50 years of 'other' and wondering if I should be asking, if not tannoys, what?
So a new thread is born:)

which leads me neatly onto to where I am now, with a thread about Tannoy kit building and, at this moment, my mind mulling over 50 years of 'other' and wondering if I should be asking, if not tannoys, what?
So a new thread is born:)

I can't claim to have been doing hi-fi properly for 50 years, but it's getting on for 10 years of proper obsession, and I long ago lost count how many bits of kit I've heard. I can't honestly see where I could want to go after Tannoys, without hitting the realms of luxury goods. And to achieve what?

If someone paid off my flat tomorrow I'd have the place acoustically treated by a professional, then maybe think about having some bespoke cabs built, nothing more.

These vintage Trimax EL34 push pull monoblocks based on the Mullard 520 design sound lovely with Cheviots .These were ex Australian Broadcasting Commission monitoring amplifiers.
About 28 watts per channel.Like an Australian made Radford and they sound at least as good.

images

I've become a massive fan of the Quad/Tannoy combo. I've used 34/306, 34/606 and various passives with a 606. I'm currently running a Glasshouse TVC/606 into 15" Golds and a 34/306 into 15" HPDs. I'm still not totally sold on the 34 - but it has a phono stage and is easy to stack where the kids can't get to it. Plus, I've always preferred passives, so it's probably just a taste thing. TBF I got very lucky on ebay with a near mint 606 for £350. A decade later, it still takes a good 30 seconds to discharge the caps on power-down and the finish remains immaculate. I assume it was just sitting on a shelf unused for most of the 1990s, since I tried to get a second one and couldn't get close condition-wise for any money. All I need now is bigger cabs for the Golds...

I ran my cheviots with a Audio Innovations 500 valve amp , sounded good as they did when I used my Quad 11's

My drivers were rebuilt bu Lockwood audio , They actually looked like new units when they came back

I've had zero succes using Naim amps with vintage Tannoy's

I'd look at Quad or Sugden, if valve - Leak or Radford, maybe AI 800.
Need not to be silly expensive

advertisement

Back