advertisement

Talkin' all that jazz

Originally posted by RickyC6
Put me down for the definitive Postcard Records doc.....due during Xmas hols - promise!

Felicity is one of my favourite bouncing records...

Back to the jazz, The Art Ensemble of Chicago's 'Fanfare for the Warrior' is incredible, try that next dude(s)!

I've been promising to produce something about Trane for months. But I will, soon, honest...

-- Ian

Originally posted by Tony L
I have to admit I'm getting really bored of the never-ending circular arguments in the audio section!
Cool. We can have circle-ular <groan> arguments here, too :)
There was a really good and very heated debate on aaj a while ago on whether African drumming is syncopated or not.
There is plenty of scope for factional infighting, backbiting and general handbagging in the music room.

Put me down for the definitive Postcard Records doc.....due during Xmas hols - promise!
I'll look forward to that - I seem to have quiet a few Postcard 45s that I bought during the early 80s ....

On Jazz

I like this quote:

Coltrane: "I don't know how to stop (playing)"

Davis: "Take the ****in' thing out of your mouth"

KoB is clearly the most over-hyped jazz record in history. It is also the best selling one. And often the one most loved by musicians of many genre.

It's a good record, but it is difficult to approach without wading through the hype and reputation.

I think you need to put it in context. In the late 50's it was a record that was groundbreaking and yet very accessable. It did change the way people played, listened to and related to Jazz.

However - it is just one record.

For me the most impressive contribution Miles made to Jazz was the number of excellent musicians he selected, nurtured and sent out into the world to create superb music. It is diffucult to say how many of them would have been "as good" (huge relative value judgement) or perhaps even better if he hadn't had them playing in various quintets, quartets etc. And people like Bill Evans probably had as much to do with the direction as Miles.

Anyway - last night was a Mingus-fest for me. I have quite definitely got it into my soul!

Jonathan

Originally posted by ErikL
Ian and Space Cadet-

There was a brief story (7 mins) on Ayler featured on National Public Radio during tonight's drive home. You can stream the archive here: Windows Media Player, or Real Player/spyware.

Cheers Erik. This is a great little review with soundclips of the Holy Ghost box. So if you're in the slightest bit curious what Ian and me are raving about, have a listen yourself.
Not long until Christmas now...

Originally posted by RickyC6
As an example - I picked up a copy of Coltrane's Live At The Village Vanguard Again tonight - on the Jasmine label (JAS 16). But no idea whether this is a good example of the record or not.

Live ....... Again is my late Coltrane favourite. With the support of Pharoah Sanders, Trane takes the beautiful Naima to new heights. Sounds a bit murky at low volume, turn it up a bit and a Van Gelder masterpiece shines through.

Originally posted by dave charlton
Live ....... Again is my late Coltrane favourite. With the support of Pharoah Sanders, Trane takes the beautiful Naima to new heights. Sounds a bit murky at low volume, turn it up a bit and a Van Gelder masterpiece shines through.

Cool - will get it cleaned and onto the Interspace tomorrow!

Cheers

Rich

Albert Ayler is indeed great (presumably so is Mingus, but I really need to hear him...). I finally got the Holy Ghost box set today, and as box sets go it is truly amazing. Get it ErikL!!

Miles Davies seems to have been a huge personality. He may have spotted or initiated changes in jazz but I just don't enjoy listening to him. How much of his 'importance' is insider stuff that doesn't relate to the listener? [/B]

Check out "In a Silent Way." Or better yet, The IASW Complete Sessions. This may change your opinion of Miles Davis.

daniel

Saw a list in a The Independent a while ago, it's also online, check out the list at the bottom of

http://www.driversknow.co.uk/attitude/drivenPeople/?newJazzGeneration

Paul Bradshaw is the editor and publisher of Straight No Chaser, the long-running magazine devoted to world jazz ...

1.KIND OF BLUE - MILES DAVIS (April 1959)
2. AH UM - CHARLES MINGUS (Oct 1959)
3. GETZ/GILBERTO - STAN GETZ (1963)
4. A LOVE SUPREME - JOHN COLTRANE (1964)
5. THE SHAPE OF JAZZ TO COME - ORNETTE COLEMAN (1960)
6. SAXOPHONE COLOSSUS - SONNY ROLLINS (1956)
7. UNDERCURRENT - BILL EVANS and JIM HALL (1962)
8. HEADHUNTERS - HERBIE HANCOCK (1973)
9. THE KOLN CONCERT - KEITH JARRETT (1975)
10. THE SERMON - JIMMY SMITH (1958)

I've chopped out the brief descriptions of each, see the link for details.

I also have only a little jazz (some Davis, Coltrane, Monk) but not much knowledge ... from the descriptions for the above, I think I might try the Ornette Coleman.

If you like Monk you might want to try "The Columbia Years '62-'68" which is a nicely presented triple CD box set on Columbia Legacy.

Originally posted by space cadet
I finally got the Holy Ghost box set today, and as box sets go it is truly amazing. Get it ErikL!!
Too much dough! I'm adding the Greenwich Village album to my collection for now, though!

Originally posted by bigblue
3. GETZ/GILBERTO - STAN GETZ (1963)

I've seldom heard mention of Stan Getz' Focus album, from about 1958, in these "best of..." lists, even though MOJO magazine listed it in the albums to buy if your house burnt down with all your records in it.

It's certainly some of the best saxophone playing I've ever heard, with Stan improvising over melodic small orchestra pieces. It swings like crazy, but perhaps it's been overlooked because the phrasing is much more clipped and pithy than a lot of the legends. But it really soars, and is prescient of modern styles IAFAIK.

Agree that In a Silent Way the best of the Miles Davis electric albums. It's shapeless but lush. quiet and pastoral, whereas the rest of the stuff is shapeless, lumpy and overcooked to a molten sludge.

Originally posted by Kit Taylor
I've seldom heard mention of Stan Getz' Focus album, from about 1958, in these "best of..." lists, even though MOJO magazine listed it in the albums to buy if your house burnt down with all your records in it.
I think Getz getz <sigh> overlooked now because his style which is considered "lightweight"was very popular until the early 60s, but has been out of favour since.
It's certainly not the kind of approach I'm drawn to (Booker Ervine, John Handy, Trane...), or am I being unjustly prejudiced.
Is it time for a Getz reappraisal?

Originally posted by ErikL
Albert Ayler and Charles Mingus are *great*. I've been enjoying every minute!

If you think so then you should pick up Mingus' 'Blues and Roots' and 'The Black Saint and the Lady Sinner.' I don't know Ayler, will check him out.

Does anybody know what happened to Revenge Records? -- Sue Mingus' label. It was meant as revenge against all the Mingus bootleggers.

dan'l

Blues And Roots is on my wish list. Unfortunately my music purchases need to slow down, or I'll be eating beans n' rice soon.

PS- Feel free to discuss beer here too. Had Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale varietal this year? Me ol' mucker Dan M rightly recommended it. Mmm mmm.

advertisement

Back