advertisement

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

A leading contender for 'most under-rated band'.
I doubt very much that can ever be said of Talk Talk.
Just going by there worldwide Record/CD/VHS and DVD sales alone over the years.
I think one of the best bands people wished they had seen live at the time might be better.:cool:

Top man Paul. Got it, and got one. Good to buy from the artist if poss.

And MichaelC, thanks again for highlighting a great release, even if you didn't if you know what I mean. So a thanks to ColinL of course.

I have the Talk Talk LPs and had no idea about the Heligoland projects.

indeed...will defo be checking it out... :)

I doubt very much that can ever be said of Talk Talk.
Just going by there worldwide Record/CD/VHS and DVD sales alone over the years.
I think one of the best bands people wished they had seen live at the time might be better.:cool:

Wrong wrong wrong, soz Baz

Thats like saying Zappa, Stravinsky and Schoenberg weren't creative or inventive, they changed the game and raised the bar so high its beyond description IMO of course

Spirit of Eden is one truly brilliant album, and what a departure from what came before. Definitely a classic.

Well, I have been spinning Laughing Stock of late. A continuation of Spirit of Eden and, I think, it narrowly betters Spirit of Eden. Fantastic, and both albums worthy of a place in the all time top 100.

Utterly superb.

An absolute masterpiece.

Never been into Talk Talk but listening to 'Spirit of Eden' for the first time (yep - honestly) via Spotify and Chromecast and am going to have to buy a copy! Which recording would be best to purchase - the original vinyl or re-issue, or the CD? I guess the way it's going the same question will probably apply to 'The Colour of Spring' too :rolleyes:

Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden definitely. I don't actually know colour of spring, even though I have it, I seem to just play those two!

I think I have 5 or 6 pressings of The Colour of Spring? In all honestly I would recommend the last reissue back 2012 which comes with a DVD Audio copy of the album. It’s an amazing album music wise but it’s also beautifully recorded. It’s been my test disc for years.

I do have Laughing Stock on vinyl but I think it’s classed as a Bootleg? The centre sticker reads Verve Records and the pressing is OK but I wouldn’t recommend it.

I have Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock on CD and think they are well recorded. They’re both very quiet in places so I would recommend them on CD or Streaming. Again both albums are amazing and worth your time. Both albums should be listened to in one sitting. They deserve your time and attention.

All three are Masterpieces.

Nabbed a lovely minty original pressing of 'Spirit' (still in its wrapping). Lovely music and sound quality...…..thanks for the thread chaps!

The Party's Over never seems to get mentioned here on Talk Talk threads. I really like it though and listen to it probably as much as Spirit of Eden. More poppy perhaps but not to be dismissed.
Talktalkalbumcover.jpg

+1 for The Party’s Over. Reminds me of winter nights in the 80’s, listening to it via a Dual tt, Arcam amp and Sony electret condenser headphones.

Nor is 'It's My Life' to be dismissed. It was the record that got me into TT way back in the 80's. Definitely their transitional album, featuring a fair bit of synth pop but also tracks like Renee and Just Tomorrow Started that give a hint of the direction Hollis was about to head off in.

advertisement

Back