1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

Discussion in 'music' started by MichaelC, May 6, 2015.

1. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Spirit of Eden is one truly brilliant album, and what a departure from what came before. Definitely a classic.

Well, I have been spinning Laughing Stock of late. A continuation of Spirit of Eden and, I think, it narrowly betters Spirit of Eden. Fantastic, and both albums worthy of a place in the all time top 100.

2. alan967tiger

alan967tiger pfm Member

I only got into Talk Talk earlier this year; I love Spirit of Eden and agree that it's a classic,.
    I don't know their other albums that well, I bought Laughing Stock a few weeks ago, but haven't played it yet - one for the week end:)

3. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

Add 'The Colour of Spring' to your list. Another masterpiece from them and as a bonus it's beautifully recorded too. Enjoy!

alan967tiger and webster like this.
  4. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

Love all the Talk Talk,solo and new venture albums but the most played is Mark Hollis'

5. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

The Hollis album and Laughing Stock have the same kind of feel. Both absolutely superb albums along with COS and SOE.

You might also try Heliogland which by coincidence I was listening to on the way to work this AM. Its basically a Tim Friese-Green solo project. A raw and edgy recording but compelling and maybe the best album you've never heard of (another one :) )

6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

yes, great albums - esepcially the mark hollis solo album... :)

7. madscientist

madscientist pfm Member

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of Heligoland?

8. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

9. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

Michael, you've opened a can of worms here, always glad to see a TT thread, if i died listening to Inheritance i'd die happy

10. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

It took me a while to get into Talk Talk, and it is the latter I like. I must get my mits on Heligoland.

11. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

Yep Ive got the albums from Colour Of Spring to the Mark Hollis album. Superb stuff!

12. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

13. Rana

Rana pfm Member

I've almost worn out my copy of Colour of Spring. Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock was a progression that took me a few listens to latch on to, but strangely beautiful when the right mood strikes.

14. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

15. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

In keeping with his solo release, what was Mark Hollis' quote - something like "Don't play two notes when one will do, and before you play that 1 note make sure you really need it"

Works on that album.

16. madscientist

madscientist pfm Member

17. mrclick

mrclick pfm Member

Top man Paul. Got it, and got one. Good to buy from the artist if poss.

And MichaelC, thanks again for highlighting a great release, even if you didn't if you know what I mean. So a thanks to ColinL of course.

I have the Talk Talk LPs and had no idea about the Heligoland projects.

18. David,
    I didn't know about the Heligoland until this thread.
    The only Heligoland i had heard of is the brilliant Massive Attack album.
    So its a thanks from me also.

19. wacko

wacko pfm Member

A leading contender for 'most under-rated band'.

Woodface likes this.