advertisement

Taica silicone mushrooms for LP12

Hi Derek, Just read your post on installation again. Why did you have to go looking for some new nuts ? surely the Linn nylocs are better because they don’t need a second nut for just in case.

Hi Derek, Just read your post on installation again. Why did you have to go looking for some new nuts ? surely the Linn nylocs are better because they don’t need a second nut for just in case.
I used knurled thumbnuts Similar to Seyles in his picture.
I cant imagine them coming loose with the silicone pressing against them and it makes for very easy adjustment.

The locking nuts that came with the springs wouldn't spin up the thread to meet the washer, hence why I needed to buy normal M5 nuts. As for using pairs of nuts, I guess that's a gratuitous redundancy as one nut would have been perfectly adequate. It just so happens the packet of nuts and bolts I bought came with 7 of each so I thought I might use them as well seeing as they were there.

Why don't you try putting Addis pad's between the mushrooms and the metal washers?
I may well experiment at some point in the future. This was the first time I've done any work underneath the top plate so I was just concentrating on getting it done without screwing up. It turns out it was much easier than I was expecting, albeit it still took a while as didn't want to rush things. But yeah, I might well have a go at doing something with the Addis pads and gel bushes in the future.

I suppose the first thing I should try is removing the bumpers between the bottom of the deck and the Addis pads because as it is, there are two compressible interfaces in operation in addition to the Addis pads, which have a completely different degree of compressibility altogether. It might well be the gel bushes and Addis pads alone will yield the best results. Or maybe the way it is just now is as good as it's going to get. I don't know, but I'll do some experiments at some point for sure.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that if I'd needed to have bought 4 gel bushes I would have ended up with 4 spare silicone rings to mess around with. As it is, I've only go three, but maybe I can mess around with that and see what I can come up with. Who knows, perhaps a new combo is just around the corner...

. Luckily the Insoles came already with knurled thumbnuts but everything comes loose with time. This morning I noticed the allen screws around my woofers and tweeters all needed a quarter turn more but that's down to the mdf.

I perceived no loss of attack or dynamics with the mushrooms. For context, my LP12 has the Karousel bearing and Greenstreet sub, and Tiger-Paw Khan top plate. How I have installed the gel bushes is also a little different. The flanged half is inserted into the sub-chassis, and the smaller half is inserted between the flanged half and washer. I had to centre the lower piece carefully, but that is easy to do by touch and sight.

I feel my arrangement has a bit more give than Insoles, and that may explain why I prefer the tonal balance of mushrooms. Still not going back to Linn springs ...

@windhoek

Great report(s) on the silicone mushrooms!

The LP12 plinth heavily depends upon "draining" vibrations to ground. This is why different plinths and different plinth materials can sound so very different.

The harder and more rigid the plinth and its feet, the faster and better the vibration drain works - and the better the LP12 sounds.

[This also explains why the LINN Trampolinn always makes the deck sound so much worse!]

I'd like to encourage you to try 100% solid feet - children's wooden blocks, or whatever? - directly under your plinth and remove (or just lift off the ground) any compliant feet from ground.

(The fact is, it is better to keep anything compliant off of the plinth, anywhere - for best sound...)

Our plinth has hardened steel threads threaded into the plinth and then fitted with ultra-hard BLACK DIAMOND Racing Cones. Dynamics are explosive!

Hoping you can give it a try sometime... and report! ;)

images

Last edited:
I just tried using the wooden draughts pieces directly between plinth and mana glass but it just work out. I don't think it was as sleepy as it was when I was using bumpers only between plinth and mana glass, but it's definitely not as good as using the Addis pad combo between plinth and mana glass. The Addis pads really seem to like electromechanical stuff that sits on glass!

I also tried having Addis pads only between plinth and mana glass and although it didn't seem to introduce any softness, it just didn't sound as alive and airy as it does with the pad+bumper combo in place.

That's as far as experimentation goes, the Addis pad combo is staying put, and I'll be leaving the bushes alone as well. The deck is now the best front end I've ever had by a country mile so I'm just going to get on with playing records and having a good time.

In saying that, I might end up buying a fourth gel bush so that I can try four of the top halves beneath my 1210GR. I imagine that combo will involve Addis pads and perhaps bumpers and washers and nuts and bolts... but I'll leave that for another day :)

I just tried using the wooden draughts pieces directly between plinth and mana glass but it just work out. I don't think it was as sleepy as it was when I was using bumpers only between plinth and mana glass, but it's definitely not as good as using the Addis pad combo between plinth and mana glass. The Addis pads really seem to like electromechanical stuff that sits on glass!

I also tried having Addis pads only between plinth and mana glass and although it didn't seem to introduce any softness, it just didn't sound as alive and airy as it does with the pad+bumper combo in place.

That's as far as experimentation goes, the Addis pad combo is staying put, and I'll be leaving the bushes alone as well. The deck is now the best front end I've ever had by a country mile so I'm just going to get on with playing records and having a good time.

In saying that, I might end up buying a fourth gel bush so that I can try four of the top halves beneath my 1210GR. I imagine that combo will involve Addis pads and perhaps bumpers and washers and nuts and bolts... but I'll leave that for another day :)

Fair enough!

As others have commented, with the almost infinite number of LP12 variants possible these days, one has to trust their own ears as to exactly what delivers, in your system - and for your ears.

Seems like you are doing just that, so well done!

Well done too for trying the silicone mushrooms - when there are so many nay-sayers - who have never even heard a springless LP12 with their own ears.

You came out ahead… 👊😎

I’m glad that you have gained an overall improvement and will benefit from the handling properties of the silicone bushes.
I have ordered and Addis pad to try under my small hard rubber feet. They are not standard but for better than the originals without a base board.
Unfortunately, I am severely limited as to the steps I can take to improve isolation.
The deck, without base board, currently sits on four small grey square stick on feet that are butted up to the corners of where the baseplate used to sit, and with a light pine coffee table as support.
It looks extremely neat but I want to try an Addis pad beneath those hard rubber feet.
I also considered a screw in each of the corner holes as a means of levelling the deck easier and to give a more rigid coupling to the coffee table but I am loathe. To damage the table and I don’t want a bodge in the lounge of our new home. Lol

I’m glad that you have gained an overall improvement and will benefit from the handling properties of the silicone bushes.
I have ordered and Addis pad to try under my small hard rubber feet. They are not standard but for better than the originals without a base board.
Unfortunately, I am severely limited as to the steps I can take to improve isolation.
The deck, without base board, currently sits on four small grey square stick on feet that are butted up to the corners of where the baseplate used to sit, and with a light pine coffee table as support.
It looks extremely neat but I want to try an Addis pad beneath those hard rubber feet.
I also considered a screw in each of the corner holes as a means of levelling the deck easier and to give a more rigid coupling to the coffee table but I am loathe. To damage the table and I don’t want a bodge in the lounge of our new home. Lol

Good luck with the Addis pads. I found that some bumpers work better than others - the silicone ones I tried at first were rubbish as they were too soft and squigy. There also seems to be variation in results - I can only imagine different supporting structures have different effects on how the combo works. Like I say, it works great on mana glass, less so when placed on a mana board. But it's pretty cheap so I guess there's only one way to find out. Fingers crossed it works out for the best :)

Good luck with the Addis pads. I found that some bumpers work better than others - the silicone ones I tried at first were rubbish as they were too soft and squigy. There also seems to be variation in results - I can only imagine different supporting structures have different effects on how the combo works. Like I say, it works great on mana glass, less so when placed on a mana board. But it's pretty cheap so I guess there's only one way to find out. Fingers crossed it works out for the best :)
Thanks 👍
i had to order the Addis pad online and it won’t be here till next week so I will try them then.

advertisement

Back