advertisement

System pics 2024

I’m going to try the Cheviots without the stands they came with today.

My room is pretty small, and I wonder if these stands have been designed to use in a larger space. I’d like drop the DC centre spot back closer to where Tannoy’s original design placed it.

EDIT - and don’t worry, that’s not mould on the bottom! Just stain from the effect of the finish.

My room is pretty small, and I think these stands have been designed to use in a larger room. I’d like drop the DC centre spot back closer to where Tannoys original design placed it.

EDIT - and don’t worry, that’s not mould on the bottom! Just stain from the effect of the finish.
Would having them upside down put the centre of the drivers closer to where you want?

My room is pretty small, and I wonder if these stands have been designed to use in a larger space. I’d like drop the DC centre spot back closer to where Tannoys original design placed it.

be interesting how the bass responds...

Picked up my new speakers yesterday, horns aria 3, replaced Spendor D7.2. Very happy so far, still playing around with positioning but they sound wonderful.

53681695502_aba0b97888_k.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Andrew Copley, on Flickr[/IMG]

They look fantastic. Bonus points for colour coordinating with your dog.

be interesting how the bass responds...

It’s going to be a balancing act for sure. I don’t expect to leave them at floor height, but I want to get a sense of what difference it makes.

With good recordings, they sound BREATHTAKING on the stands, but with average material they can be overly revealing. Reading old posts here, especially insight from @Elephantears and @cooky1257 re height, dispersion and placement of DC units makes me think they might benefit from being a bit lower given that I sit less than 8ft from them.

Initial impressions are positive.

It hasn’t had any impact on image height interestingly. Shows how wide the dispersion is I guess, and how I’m probably sat too close!

I don’t like the look of them quite so much on the floor. A thin black plinth with small wheels might look cool.

Initial impressions are positive.

It hasn’t had any impact on image height interestingly. Shows how wide the dispersion is I guess, and how I’m probably sat too close!

I don’t like the look of them quite so much on the floor. A thin black plinth with small wheels might look cool.
Have used paving flags trimmed,black granite off cuts for this, if not using wheels.
U could raise em with books until u decide height etc...

Have used paving flags trimmed,black granite off cuts for this, if not using wheels.
U could raise em with books until u decide height etc...

Yep. I think they could come up a bit. I don’t know if I’ll get away with much higher than the original 40mm plinth, but I’ll have a play.

I might buy these and cut them down to experiment. Cheaper than I’d get the materials for I think!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It’s going to be a balancing act for sure. I don’t expect to leave them at floor height, but I want to get a sense of what difference it makes.

With good recordings, they sound BREATHTAKING on the stands, but with average material they can be overly revealing. Reading old posts here, especially insight from @Elephantears and @cooky1257 re height, dispersion and placement of DC units makes me think they might benefit from being a bit lower given that I sit less than 8ft from them.
Fascinated to hear about your experience with the Cheviots. My perspective on height is a bit different to Cooky's, I think, as I tend to try and get the tweeter a bit nearer to ear height. Perhaps different as I'm using the smaller Eatons in a not-quite near-field setup.

Fascinated to hear about your experience with the Cheviots. My perspective on height is a bit different to Cooky's, I think, as I tend to try and get the tweeter a bit nearer to ear height. Perhaps different as I'm using the smaller Eatons in a not-quite near-field setup.

It was your post in one of the big tannoy threads about the Eatons being too revealing if too high that had my thinking.

Dropping them has made a big difference to the sound. Pretty much all of the scale and impact is still there, but it’s a much more relaxing listen long term. Win!

advertisement

Back