advertisement

System pics 2024

Well, I’m not going to lie to any of you, I’ve fallen for these Cheviots pretty hard.

I’ve never done the Tannoy thing, save for casual listening at a few shows, and they aren’t what I thought they’d be at all. I expected scale, and bass, sure, but I just wasn’t really for the amount of detail and micro retrieval of the recording space.

I’m also amazed at how easily they sit and play in my small listening room. There is ZERO boom, which I don’t understand at all given the size of the things.

They’re just effortless. @bourney put it best, it’s like they’re not even trying.

I’m sure my Lindemann power amp is far from the ideal match, but it still sounds incredible. Plenty of goosebump moments with favourite old records tonight here I can tell you. Total bliss.

Live from my man cave on a mellow Saturday evening. Latest edition is the M7 phono from Alan which I couldn’t resist in my quest for a full Kondo analog chain. And a pic of the full cave which shows my other passion of collecting vintage 80s skateboards

4O84ATV.jpeg

uM76QS7.jpeg

Rad! That is a good Santa Cruz obsession. Love the Natas Kaupas.

Have a look at the Old Skateboarders thread on pink fish, there are quite a few old school dudes here!

Thread 'Old Skateboarders...'
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/old-skateboarders.140100/

Rad! That is a good Santa Cruz obsession. Love the Natas Kaupas.

Have a look at the Old Skateboarders thread on pink fish, there are quite a few old school dudes here!

Thread 'Old Skateboarders...'
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/old-skateboarders.140100/
Great thread! I’ve skated with you before down the broadie back in the 80s. I was one of the Notts crew with Dickus, Ag, Dom, Tony, Donovan etc. Great times, some really good guys used to skate broadie back then. Such a shame it’s gone

Great thread! I’ve skated with you before down the broadie back in the 80s. I was one of the Notts crew with Dickus, Ag, Dom, Tony, Donovan etc. Great times, some really good guys used to skate broadie back then. Such a shame it’s gone

Those were great evening sessions. Being part of something that was in its nadir period was very much a brotherhood - back when the footwear you had on could start a conversation with a complete stranger.

If you need someone to stroke you decks, let me know! I only have a few. A Lance Mountain stickman+ kids, an Eric Dressen everslick and a Zorlac Craig Johnson ‘street.’ I don’t have them mounted though.

s2sEHi1.jpeg
0c8Mn1R.jpeg
Moved the system back downstairs after the damp work was finished last week. Decorating still to do, although the Nait 50 with Harbeth Super HL5 combo is working out very well. Surprisingly good slam in the bass and good depth too.

Quite enjoying a scaled back system but I’ve had to lose my IKEA vinyl lamp as it was causing hum with the SUT.

I find myself in a peculiar situation this year: JBL 4435, JBL 4430 and JBL Control 10. And each of them is an amazing pair of speakers, believe me!

Rest of system: Linn KRDS /0 > vintage JBL 5234A crossover > Sonics-branded Bryston amps

I had the jbl control 5+, and foolishly sold them, so, so rare.

I had the jbl control 5+, and foolishly sold them, so, so rare.
I used to have a pair of Control 5s (the simpler version withouth the "plus") - slightly rough around the edges but hugely enjoyable. Gave them to my Dad eventlually. Control 10s are on another level, of course, but I've got too many speakers and if I do have to lose some it will be them, sadly. We'll see.

Finally getting an opportunity to let the Krell integrated amp stretch it's legs. In house I've got some new-to-me speakers, that are well-known power hogs, so the Krell's 360 wpc into 4 ohm will surely come in handy.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

Totem Mani-2 Signature. Still messing with placement, but so far, so good. This is my 3rd pair of Totems, after having had Model 1 Signature for many years, and also a short stint with the Element Fire. These new units sound somewhat similar the former, which is more to my tastes, but with a bigger presentation and deeper bass than the Model 1.

Rest of the rig...
JR Transrotor turntable
Abis tonearm
Koetsu cartridge
EAR SUT
EAR phono
Krell integrated
Esoteric CD transport
SMSL DAC
Totem Speakers on Solidsteel stands

Finally getting an opportunity to let the Krell integrated amp to stretch it's legs. In house I've got some new-to-me speakers, that are well-known power hogs, so the Krell's 360 wpc into 4 ohm will surely come in handy.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

Totem Mani-2 Signature. Still messing with placement, but so far, so good. This is my 3rd pair of Totems, after having had Model 1 Signature for many years, and also a short stint with the Element Fire. These new units sound somewhat similar the former, which is more to my tastes, but with a bigger presentation and deeper bass than the Model 1.

Rest of the rig...
JR Transrotor turntable
Abis tonearm
Koetsu cartridge
EAR SUT
EAR phono
Krell integrated
Esoteric CD transport
SMSL DAC
Totem Speakers on Solidsteel stands

Looks good and well done for not being naked when you took the photo. Could have been embarrassing otherwise. 😆

advertisement

Back