advertisement

System pics 2024

Thanks for coming back TTM, yes I’ve wanted to measure the room for some time now as it is bright. When I’ve posted pics you’ll see it has the challenge of the alcove(s) either side of the fireplace and hard surfaces. Alas for family life and getting the most out the room the hifi set-up is dictated. I will add a rug and possibly some grip-mat on the table and will be building a 2m x 0.5m ish diffuser behind the head ie. just above the listening sofa, described to me as sorting the W effect of the Pac-Man bouncing of sound from speaker to wall to fireplace to listener.

But I have wanted to understand the room at different frequencies and then negotiate on the cosmetics, I doubt ceiling diffusers will get approval for example. The acoustics are possibly the reason I prefer the 66 to the RS10 in this room, they’re not challenging the room as much.
How far is the back wall from the listening seat? If it's anything less than 1 metre I'd be inclined to use absorption there instead of diffusion, especially if you're considering building a 1D diffusor with deep wells, because if you sit too close to it the sound waves won't have enough time to disperse properly and you'll hear the wells beaming/ringing. The effect can be quite pleasant but it's definitely a form of colouration! The deeper the diffusor, the further away you must sit from it to hear it diffuse properly.

POqA.gif

If you don't want to completely absorb the back wall reflection, an alternative would be to use absorption panel with a thin scatter plate on it, like the GIK Alpha, GIK Impression or GIK Scatter Plate panels (other manufacturers are available!). It's still fairly reflective at high frequencies but not as much as a bare wall and you can sit closer to these without hearing beaming/ringing artifacts.

Just a quick update. I was going to save up for some LS3/5As but these Spendor S3/5R2s popped up locally on that auction site for the right price, in the right finish (cherry) & being sold by one of our own @Ragaman ;

20240120-122030.jpg

A combination of these & getting my JR149s sorted should sate my LS3/5A craving for now...

TS

Just a quick update. I was going to save up for some LS3/5As but these Spendor S3/5R2s popped up locally on that auction site for the right price, in the right finish (cherry) & being sold by one of our own @Ragaman ;

20240120-122030.jpg

A combination of these & getting my JR149s sorted should sate my LS3/5A craving for now...

TS
Glad you are enjoying them Tony, they do look great in Cherry.

20240120-122030.jpg

TS
You had one of the bigger Rega amps before that IO. Did you noticed similarities/diferences?

20240120-122030.jpg

TS
That's a very nice, simple system. What's the DAC/ headphone unit? One of the Toppings?

You had one of the bigger Rega amps before that IO. Did you noticed similarities/diferences?
Had an Elex-R for a while, probably one of the best amps I've owned. There's definitely a Rega family sound, the Elex-R has a meatier presentation, the IO a bit sweeter. Both superb in there own ways, I could easily live with either but the compact IO slots into my current more minimal setup like a glove.

TS

The DAC/Headphone Amp is an SMSL DO300EX, has the current TOTL AKM DAC chipset, really nice bit of kit.

TS
Thank you. I'm sure it is, although the rate at which units from SMSL, Topping and similar manufacturers are released provides almost too much choice! How did you decide on that particular unit?

Thank you. I'm sure it is, although the rate at which units from SMSL, Topping and similar manufacturers are released provides almost too much choice! How did you decide on that particular unit?
A combination of price/feature set. I need a coax input for the WiiM, toslink for the TV, I already had the Shanling ET3 on order when I bought it. The Shanling has I2s & USB outputs in addition to coax & toslink, the SMSL has USB & I2s inputs so that gives me options to hook them up. Currently using USB but intend to try the I2s at some point.

I also wanted a combined DAC/Headphone Amp to reduce the box count. I looked at the Topping DX5 which has a similar feature set minus the I2s input. It was that & the ESS v AKM that swung it for me.

For some reason the DACs/CDPs I've owned previously that had ESS chips haven't engaged me. Might just be coincidence but it has slightly put me off going for ESS equipped DACs.

I also thought the SMSL might double as a pre amp for my Leak Stereo 20 making it easier to plum into my system when the mood takes. Having to rethink that strategy, getting a horrible ground loop, not an uncommon issue with ST20s!

TS

A combination of price/feature set. I need a coax input for the WiiM, toslink for the TV, I already had the Shanling ET3 on order when I bought it. The Shanling has I2s & USB outputs in addition to coax & toslink, the SMSL has USB & I2s inputs so that gives me options to hook them up. Currently using USB but intend to try the I2s at some point.

I also wanted a combined DAC/Headphone Amp to reduce the box count. I looked at the Topping DX5 which has a similar feature set minus the I2s input. It was that & the ESS v AKM that swung it for me.

For some reason the DACs/CDPs I've owned previously that had ESS chips haven't engaged me. Might just be coincidence but it has slightly put me off going for ESS equipped DACs.

I also thought the SMSL might double as a pre amp for my Leak Stereo 20 making it easier to plum into my system when the mood takes. Having to rethink that strategy, getting a horrible ground loop, not an uncommon issue with ST20s!

TS
Hi Tony, what do you think to the ET3, looks a great bit of kit for the price.

Cheers BB

Absorption behing listening position and side wall. I might make a suspended ceiling panel
A suspended ceiling panel is an excellent way to tame a room. Basically the 3 axes: front to back, side to side and top to bottom need the reflections to be partially absorbed. Most people rely on a carpet to take care of the floor to ceiling axis. A carpet will help but it's mostly the top octaves only that are absorbed due to minimal thickness even with an underlay. What is needed is broad-band absorption and the ceiling panel is perfect for this. Another reason for this is we have evolved to allow for floor reflections with the ear brain relationship accommodating the short spaced delay. You ears are always the same distance from the floor unless party time horizontalness intervenes 🥴

I helped a friend with large Spanish tiles where no carpets or rugs were allowed! Yes boss. We installed a huge ceiling panel covered in a fabric matching the paint, an off-white. It extended to 0.5m from the walls and was about 4.5m x 6.8m in width and length and 150mm deep. We installed a row of LED white strip lights around the perimeter on top but out of view resulting in a rather splendid effect. The remote could select between warm white to daylight and the brightness, his wife's toy.

Front to back and side to side reflections need taming as well and if the only thing tolerated is curtains or drapes there is a way to get them to work surprisingly well but in the interest of not side tracking this thread I'll leave it here.

Hi Rich, Please say more about your PTP Lenco. Its on my 'hitlist' Have you compared it to anything? Did you build it or?
Hey D, sorry for the delay - I typed this but didn’t send it!… I bought the PTP from a member here largely as it is, but with a standard bearing and an armboard intended for a Jelco arm (10.5" I think). I then fitted the lightly modified bearing I had from my older, standard Lenco, and initially my DIY well tempered copy arm. It sounded great and I enjoyed it with a few different carts including an AT33PTGii. I then moved house to this dedicated room and had a rethink of the kit at the same time. The deck was always going to stay but all the rest changed. The Onyx is a very recent addition and I’m very impressed.
Compared to other decks I’d say it does some classic idler stuff like great bass and timing, plus it has better top end detail than I remember from my old Garrard 401. I’d thoroughly recommend a PTP - the value for money really is very special. I don’t think I’ve heard a suspended or belt drive deck I’d rather have…

It is a great bit of kit, my WiiM & P3 have barely had a look in since it arrived. The build quality is superb, it looks & feels (& sounds) like a premium product although the cheap plastic remote is a bit of a let down.
Glad you’re enjoying it Tony, good to hear.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back