advertisement

System pics 2024

Not sure I've posted on here for a while, or possibly ever, so here's the living room system:

53818082522_1b486a5a0c_b.jpg

53818082532_9ef606d429_b.jpg

Kit list as follows:

- Reiki Audio Superswitch (powered by PD Creative PSU)
- Bluesound Node N130 (powered by Sean Jacobs DC4 PSU)
- Chord DAVE DAC
- Ming Da Dynasty Cavatina mono amps
- EJ Jordan Greenwich speakers

Not sure I've posted on here for a while, or possibly ever, so here's the living room system:

Kit list as follows:

- Chord DAVE DAC
I like the cabinet, where did you get it from?

I like the cabinet, where did you get it from?
A very long and painful story, which still hasn't ended as I'm still chasing money from the supposed bespoke furniture builder who I commissioned to build it originally (!!), but thanks to some help from a handy friend and some new skills I had to develop in dying and varnishing wood, your comment has made the whole saga all the more worthwhile 🙂

Kit list as follows:

- Chord DAVE DAC
Just to add, if there is any degree of interest in hearing this system, I have my name down to exhibit it at the Maverick Show this coming October, so feel free to drop in for a track or two 👍

Kit list as follows:

- Chord DAVE DAC
Very nice! The two legged table is worrying me a bit though : )

Just to add, if there is any degree of interest in hearing this system, I have my name down to exhibit it at the Maverick Show this coming October, so feel free to drop in for a track or two 👍
Hi Karl, lovely looking system and I'm intrigued by the speakers. It's a long way from Kent to the Maverick Show but 'd love to hear the system. I was considering making the trip, I think I might just do it now. I really like LS5/9s so these must be good. What's the RRP on the speakers if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers BB

Hi Karl, lovely looking system and I'm intrigued by the speakers. It's a long way from Kent to the Maverick Show but 'd love to hear the system. I was considering making the trip, I think I might just do it now. I really like LS5/9s so these must be good. What's the RRP on the speakers if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers BB
I wrote a bit of a review on The Wam about them a little while back. In fact, I think EJ Jordan still have my review quoted on their website!

If you've seen it, you're probably aware that LS5/9s were my second choice on my speaker shortlist at the time. The Greenwich are a bit more expensive at £6k RRP, but no regrets here. Worth every penny if you have the cash.

I wrote a bit of a review on The Wam about them a little while back. In fact, I think EJ Jordan still have my review quoted on their website!

If you've seen it, you're probably aware that LS5/9s were my second choice on my speaker shortlist at the time. The Greenwich are a bit more expensive at £6k RRP, but no regrets here. Worth every penny if you have the cash.
Thanks Karl, I skimmed your review on the website, I'll read it tonight. Lovely system mate.

Cheers BB

Finally got the TV on the wall and the TT set up. Always used a Trichord Dino Phonostage but thought I'd try the MM stage in the Rotel RA1570, the Dino wasn't really bringing anything to the party. Removes 4 cables and a power cord too. Need to change speaker cables and hide the TV cables.

Cheers BB

System-Picture-June-2024.jpg
I previously had the same turntable, and have the same speakers, if they are D1’s?

DB1s. End game for me unless we move to a bigger house. TT was my 40th Birthday present from Mrs BB so it stays too. What TT are you using now and what amplification?

Cheers BB
Technics SL1200gr / Dynavector DV20x2L. Amplification for the TT is an Arkless GTi Turbo with Steve Jackson power supply into a Hegel H90.

I’m in no major rush, but mulling over a new amp or speakers as the next change, although a new cartridge might need to happen first.

Quite a change here.

• Wall-shelf down and wall to tidy (perhaps with a couple of acoustic panels the same as those behind the speakers instead of filling the holes),
  • Rega RP10 on its way to new owner (who will hopefully enjoy it as much as I did)
  • VPI Prime Signature in place (courtesy of Sue-Pertwee-Tyr)
  • Rega RS10 off the pitch and Aerius i back in (spent 2 years in the loft)
I believe in my room and for my taste this is where I've been trying to get the system to. The wife doesn't like the supertowers as much visually but agrees it sounds fantastic. Rest of system is Hana ML, Gold Note PH10 & PSU10, WiiM Pro Ultra and RME802FS DAC, Yamaha T-85 Tuner and Yamaha A-S3000 amp.

Before:

Changing:

After:

Quite a change here.

• Wall-shelf down and wall to tidy (perhaps with a couple of acoustic panels the same as those behind the speakers instead of filling the holes),
  • Rega RP10 on its way to new owner (who will hopefully enjoy it as much as I did)
I believe in my room and for my taste this is where I've been trying to get the system to. The wife doesn't like the supertowers as much visually but agrees it sounds fantastic. Rest of system is Hana ML, Gold Note PH10 & PSU10, WiiM Pro Ultra and RME802FS DAC, Yamaha T-85 Tuner and Yamaha A-S3000 amp.

Before:

Changing:

After:

Yamaha chunkiness 👍

Quite a change here.

Before:

Changing:

After:

Lovely, how are you finding the sound being different?

Well it’s interesting, to my ears a Rega deck is a bit of a formula 1 item by which I mean fast, technical efficient. It gets to a huge amount of detail for the money and perhaps because of this the RS10 have real weight and depth and perhaps Rega balanced the two.

In contrast the VPI is deeper, weightier, more insight and tone and more emotion. The price you pay is weight, wobbly unipivot and just not the same ease of use as a Rega or a Technics. As a seasoned vinyl listener though it’s not difficult so we’re talking shades of inconvenience as all vinyl is and so not something you worry about. The Martin Logan’s are fast, more air and space and less depth and again perhaps these balance.

The Martin Logan’s have have the volume dial a bit higher and so presumably less efficient, not that that’s a bother for the Yamaha, but they just work a bit better in this room and if there’s one thing I’ve learned across the years it’s the importance of the speakers and room working together rather than an item being outright better than another.

The RP10/RS10 have more slam for rock and guitars and so someone with those listening tastes would probably prefer that combination. As I’ve got older I listen to much more classical, jazz, folk, blues, acoustic, piano, ambient and the oft-slated plinky-plonky and whilst both of these combinations are good, the VPI/ML just gives me more of what I prefer.

advertisement

Back