advertisement

System pics 2024

A move around in the man shed, and a new rug.

53537532305_3cee3c5ffb_z.jpg

I wonder what the collective noun for forums should be Mike. A spat of forums? A distraction?
A foretaste, forecast or foretell? Surely not a foreskin though they can occasionally get under one. Foreplay could be made to fit too.
If you'll forgive me for quoting from "Porgy & Bess"...

It ain't necessarily so.
Ho ho! Gershwin would turn in his blue rhapsodic grave. Seriously (look in a dictionary) 'fora' is the plural for Roman market places only, and you don't get a lot of them nowadays. There are lots of Latin words which one 'ums' and 'ahs' about, but this one, 'forums', was coined with the internet, I believe.

That has to be the most aesthetically different plinth I've seen; did you craft it, John? Looks as though it's been designed to take a 12" arm but not sure. Bit tricky to accommodate a cover ? :D
No not my Build Mike. I commisioned and worked on the design with the builder Paul Knipe (knipster on wam & Mav) who owns and runs Solid Sounds in Leeds (https://www.solid-sounds.co.uk/contact). As you can see his woodworking skills are superb, of the 6 angles on the plinth only the front lh corner is 90°.

I agree, it's quite different. I see the edges are joinery, with an inset top, and the 401 is mounted to be flush with the top, so that's quite a departure, even before I think about the shape! I guess that's the old plinth bottom left in the photo?
Yep, old plinth bottom left in 1st photo.
New plinth has a 120mm thick mdf sandwich core with black American walnut veneered top, and the sides are clad with 25mm thick, profiled black American walnut.

As to the angles, working clockwise from the 90° front left corner.
1. 90°
2. 152.2°
3. 113.5°
4. 97.1°
5. 152.9°
6. 110.7°

IMG-0366.jpg

Not the best photo. I do seem to prefer a single-source system, having been vinyl only for years. CD only currently, as the sideboard that used to have the turntable has been relocated to the kitchen. Stirling speakers, Primaluna amp, and Mojo2 all bought on here. Audiolab CDT6000 bought new from Richer Sounds.

advertisement

Back