advertisement

Nothing fancy by the standards of things here, but my stable (for me) iteration of the system:

IMG-7420.jpg

IMG-7421.jpg

IMG-7422.jpg

I really ought to have taken more time with the pics, but the system is basically:

Sources:
Rega P8 with Aria mk2
Jay's Audio CDT2 mk3 digital transport
Eversolo DMP-A6 'cooncil' edition

Other bits:
Denafrips Venus II DAC
SPL Phonitor 2 as pre/headamp

Not pictures:
Genelec 8030C raw finish active speakers on raw finish Solidsteel SS6 stands
SVS SB3000 subwoofer

Oh, and the racks are inexpensive jobs I bought via Amazon. They're actually not half bad, even if they have little adjustment. They're filled with Atacama Atabites. I may change them for something a bit nicer looking sometime, I'm not 100% happy with their aesthetics, and although the system sounds better on them than the previous oak sideboard, I wonder about a quality rack of some sort, maybe one of the double width QS jobs.

...and any pics of Genelec 8030C raw finish active speakers on raw finish Solidsteel SS6 stands.
I have the stands and fancy having a go with the genelecs

Nice setup, I have an RP6 as well. Which Falcon is that?
Q7 Gold Badge; nearfield they are sublime.
Jerry convinced me during ordering that there's little if any sonic difference between the plain and Tygan grille. Smart move on his part, i ended up buying both to prove he was right.
Tygan looks "right" don't even think about the alternative.

Q7 Gold Badge; nearfield they are sublime.
Jerry convinced me during ordering that there's little if any sonic difference between the plain and Tygan grille. Smart move on his part, i ended up buying both to prove he was right.
Tygan looks "right" don't even think about the alternative.
I thought they looked familiar! I have the same Gold Badge Falcons with the Tygan grills. Use mine in a small room and am really happy with them, can't see ever changing.

@JTC Cool system! I'm about to try a Phonitor X in a very sexy red as a pre/headamp for my system. Those look like Oppo headphones, did you try any others? And how do you rate it as a pre?

Photo of the System sans speakers, not very exciting as I have had the Bryston & Yamaha for 3-4 years now and don't really see a need to change. The Nighthwak phonostage I have had for around 5-years now, just such a great little thing and so convenient with the built in battery PSU
The Linear PSU came with the P7/Neo when I bought it so I've not had a chance to compare to the standard wall-wart. To be honest, I don't play many LPs these days which is the main reason I moved from the Rega P9 to the P7, so I could spend the difference on DIY speaker bits!

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

@JTC Cool system! I'm about to try a Phonitor X in a very sexy red as a pre/headamp for my system. Those look like Oppo headphones, did you try any others? And how do you rate it as a pre?
Yes, they're Oppo, bought as a balance of performance versus cost. They sound good, although nowhere near the Stax SR007mk1/Mjolnir KGSSHV setup I had before. As a pre I have nothing but praise for the Phonitor 2 - dual balanced inputs and a single unbalanced input, balanced outputs, it's very transparent and detailed, everything you'd want from a preamp except a remote (though apparently it can work with the Apple remote, if I could ever find it!)...

Yes, they're Oppo, bought as a balance of performance versus cost. They sound good, although nowhere near the Stax SR007mk1/Mjolnir KGSSHV setup I had before. As a pre I have nothing but praise for the Phonitor 2 - dual balanced inputs and a single unbalanced input, balanced outputs, it's very transparent and detailed, everything you'd want from a preamp except a remote (though apparently it can work with the Apple remote, if I could ever find it!)...
I'm more of dynamic driver guy and this should be a good match with my HD600's, though i will also try it with my Clear and LCD-XC's and see how i like them. Birgir makes some interesting amps for sure, if his Dynamic amp had pre out i might have considered it.
Btw you can teach your phonitor whatever remote you have laying around, it doesn't have to be an Apple remote. Hope the postal service gets off their ass and delivers it today... so close yet so far away.
Edit: received and so far very happy. Need to sort out a groundloop though when the external crossover is connected. Have some suspicions but i just want to listen to music on the 600’s and not move from my chair.

Last edited:
May I ask how you got your artwork to show like that with the image in the middle? Looks good.
I'm pretty new to the Eversolo myself. I had the full screen graphics when I first tried it then did the update and it changed to a thumbnail album cover which I wasn't too happy with. I clicked along the bottom of the screen where it showed the progress of the album playing and it showed up full screen again. It was like magic lol, as I said I've only had it for a week and still trying to figure things out myself.

What are your speakers? They look like LS3/5 but long?
They are like LS 3/5a but long in a way actually! They are the Falcon Q7 which has the same drivers but have aa cabinet that is 2" deeper to add a bit of bass. The picture distorts the dimensions a bit because the speaker is at the edge of a wide angle shot.

advertisement

Back