advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the old Omega TS2 speakers for a good while. Like you say, a lot of fun. I tried to get all clever and integrate a sub to get the lows in and kind of killed the joy of them in the process. Like most single driver units, they’re best doing what they do imo, to be enjoyed for their strengths.

How do they compare to the Ks Chris? They’re good fun too.

I had the old Omega TS2 speakers for a good while.

While daughter and hubby were in the US I acquired used pairs of both Super 3 standmounts with the appropriate Skylan stands and a pair of Super 3 XRS floor standers. Before they came home to UK I visited Louis Cochos at his works where he fitted the (then) latest hemp drivers. He also made a 'Hemp Cube' subwoofer for me in matching finish. The XRS didn't need a sub for music but it did great service in a 4.1 surround set up for movies!

Astonishing things which just seem to thrive on flea powered SET or tripath amps. I must dig them out and listen again - and since this is a picture thread post photos:)

Jim

Terrible pictures, but a work in progress. Later in the year the fireplace will come out, and TV will go to wall mount. I’ll then sell the AV cabinet, and put the minimal equipment on my oak HiFi rack.

First time with stand-mounts for a very long time, but they suit the lounge. Even if they don’t save a lot of space they feel a lot smaller, and less intrusive. I may have a go at integrating my sub, but likely only turn it on for film duties.

49367336667_577efa58e7_c.jpg

49367336797_c019589cb5_c.jpg

Whale-Your rack does go nicely with the speakers along side it though, nice combination! How are you liking the little stand mounters? I had at one point thought about one of their floor stand models.

Tim, yes, I suppose there’s a chance we might just keep the AV unit, just pushed back to the wall once the fireplace goes. We’ll have to try both options and see.

The MB-1s are lovely, with good, but sub-NS1000 mid range. What Mrs Wb appreciates is that they are less imposing than the Yammies, and for me whilst the Scansonics obviously lose out on bass performance compared to the Neats I have the sub to play with, and that can probably sit out of the way near a corner.

I do like what comes out of the tweeters. I’m becoming quite a fan of ribbons.

With that all said, I’ll have to live with them for a while to really get to know them.

Is that a bedroom or listening room TT/headphone system? Very cool.
Thanks, it is a nice place to lounge. In the bedroom and all headphones. There is a Khadas Toneboard and Sonictransport running Roon tucked away in the rack for digital. I only own about 300 records these days having had a big clear out but mostly listen to them despite having 1400 cds on disc and Qobuz sub.

My guesses shelf by shelf are:

Rega Planar 2
Naim 102
??, ??
Rega phono, ??
DIY amp, DIY amp (in Naim shoebox cases)

How did I do?

Not bad

Vinyl:
Rega RP6
Goldring LX
Naim 552 cards

Digital:
Auralic Aires Mini With 1GB SSD
RME ADI 2 Dac
Tidal

Amplification;
Pre: Naim NAC 102 (Avondale powered with a MSX shunt power supply)
Power: 2 x NAP110 Mono conversions

Speakers:
PMC GB1i

Supports:
HiFi racks Podium 5 shelves
Argos granite table mats (set of 4)

Tim, yes, I suppose there’s a chance we might just keep the AV unit, just pushed back to the wall once the fireplace goes. We’ll have to try both options and see.

The MB-1s are lovely, with good, but sub-NS1000 mid range. What Mrs Wb appreciates is that they are less imposing than the Yammies, and for me whilst the Scansonics obviously lose out on bass performance compared to the Neats I have the sub to play with, and that can probably sit out of the way near a corner.

I do like what comes out of the tweeters. I’m becoming quite a fan of ribbons.

With that all said, I’ll have to live with them for a while to really get to know them.
+1 for ribbons

Having bought a FireWire card for the media PC last July, today I decided to fit it. I’d also bought a FireWire cable (obviously).

So, DAC and PC off the shelves, and card fitted to PC.

Realisation then dawns that the PC and DAC are too far apart for the 1m cable. Now, I would say you won’t believe that an afternoon of rearrangement ensued, but this is pfm, so I won’t bother, because many of you have been there, just to try out a new “thing”.

So, here we are , with a proxy to what might be when we take the fireplace out and go to a simple open rack...

49374070603_fe3fd5969f_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back